TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

The Eurofighter will be a nice addition to the park, but I was still really hoping that they'd save up for a Mega-Lite. They have the land for it, and the capacity would've been a perfect fit for the park. A Eurofighter costs around $6mil while a Megalite is around $9mil, so it wouldn't have been impossible.

clpmegalite.jpg.e7f159d3f59dad0b47cc2ba27958bace.jpg

I can always hope, right?

With the euro-fighter being built, I wonder if Canobie Corkscrew's seasons are numbered. The euro-fighter would basically offer a better experience or the Canobie Corkscrew, and with Canobie being a small park, will it be enough to give reason for the older coaster's removal. While not terrible huge, removing Canobie Corkscrew and using the available land around the play structure might be large enough for Canobie Lake to add more water slides like Adventureland did this year.

In all honesty, I hope not.

Mainly because having a 3 coaster lineup is a big deal regionally. That'll tie with Lake Compounce, and beat Funtown's 2 Credits as well as Santa's Village, StoryLand, and Six Gun City's 1 credits. It gives people more to do in a visit, as well as spread the crowds (which, if you've been to Canobie you'll understand why this is an issue). Plus I love Corkscrew. It's a fun little ride and holds so many memories for me. Not to mention it fits so beautifully in that little spot.

If Canobie decides to remove Corkscrew they had better use it's area for something awesome. The slide idea is not bad. Another coaster? Probably not anytime soon, but maybe someday. Regardless, I'll miss it if it ever leaves

In other news! Canobie's banner!

(Image courtesy of cocoman2121 at Canobiefan.com)

Airtime&Gravity - It has been said many time by park owners that Corkscrew would stay until they could add a coaster with the some or more inversion. The new Euro Fighter, named Untamed, has 3. The corkscrew has simply been coaster at the park for a some years now.

Dr.Shadey - This coaster returns Canobie count to 4. they park already has 3 coasters; Cannonball, Corkscrew, and Dragon. At 4 it ties them with Lake Compounce with their 4 coasters; Boulderdash, Wildcat, Zoomerang and Kiddie coaster.

There is plenty of open space on that side of the park for them to expand their water park without removing the Corkscrew. If they removed it it would be to save on the operating costs, not for space. Corkscrew rarely has a more than 5 minute line, even when there are 45 minute waits for Yankee Canonball or the S&S tower. The maintenance costs may no longer be worth it.

The ridership i a huge reason. The rides line is practically no existent, unless the park is extremely busy. Costs to keep up a nearly 40 year old coaster is very high and the coaster has no marketable value left in it for the park.

the park dose have room near the tracks and a small inlet to expand the water park. but they need more room. they backed themselves into a corner with castaway and they are forced to keep it up. they could use half of corkscrews spot and give then the extra room they really need.

The coaster the park should need next is upper end family. Something like a Roller skater. They could fit a coaster of its size and scale in half the plot Corkscrew takes up.

• 1 month later...

Canobie Lake Park has sent us a press release regarding Untamed and its official layout.

While most of us are still gearing up for the holidays, Canobie Lake Park is already busy laying the groundwork for a new roller coaster for the Park’s 2011 season. The ride, a Compact Euro-Fighter manufactured by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides in Germany, has been dubbed “UNTAMED” and will be the only one of its kind in New England and the third in the United States.

With grizzly-bear-themed cars holding eight riders each and support columns designed to look like birch trees, the coaster features an initial climb of 75 feet straight up and a first drop that is “beyond vertical,” curving in at 97 degrees. Riders will also experience a series of banked curves, loops, twists, turns and zero-gravity rolls.

“Our new coaster will certainly live up to its name, delivering an exciting mix of thrill elements,” said Chris Nicoli, Canobie Lake Park’s Marketing and Entertainment Manager. “UNTAMED is an excellent addition for us, complementing our classic Yankee Cannonball and Corkscrew coasters and fitting in very well with our other rides and attractions.”

The coaster area will feature a station and shop utilizing rustic log construction and will be designed in an Adirondack/forest style throughout. Canobie Lake Park will be releasing regular construction progress photos in the weeks and months to come. For more information about Canobie Lake Park, visit the Park’s website at http://www.canobie.com.

CLP1.jpg.67e59ca56986f5c5a8b873b4549d94bb.jpg

“Layout of Canobie Lake Park’s new roller coaster ‘UNTAMED’ for 2011”

CLP2.jpg.03633d7baf032f5b9132e4a4f36b8a38.jpg

“Conceptual drawing illustrating theme of Canobie Lake Park’s new roller coaster”

Edited by ernierocker

Hmm, same layout as Rage, it seems...

Rage was GREAT! So if that's the case, I'm looking forward to this!

Agrees, Rage is an awesome little coaster, the right elements in the correct order.

If it tracks as well as Rage this will be a great addition for Canobie....as long as they run more cars than Adventure Island seem to (just to add, the 2 times I have ridden Rage, they have only run 1 car, so this is from personal experience!)

I never said Rage was bad. I'm just noting that Untamed is a clone of Rage. I have no problem with that, seeing as the layout is quite good for its size.

Agrees, Rage is an awesome little coaster, the right elements in the correct order.

If it tracks as well as Rage this will be a great addition for Canobie....as long as they run more cars than Adventure Island seem to (just to add, the 2 times I have ridden Rage, they have only run 1 car, so this is from personal experience!)

As Adventure island being my home park I have seen all three cars running on the track. Last time I went on Fright night they were running two trains.

This looks like a great coaster for a smaller park. The only Eurofighrer I've been on is Mystery Mine, and while this looks very different it also looks like a good ride. Purely as a coaster, it is probably a better ride, so I can't wait to try it next year.