TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Park Areas

Forgive the blatant "favorite _______" thread, but I'm very excited about Holiday World's new Thanksgiving section and that's got me thinking about the allure of specific areas of parks.

About a million years ago, I worked at Knott's Berry Farm. And almost every day, I would cross the railroad tracks into the heart of Ghost Town and be struck by the sight and sounds of the Haunted Shack on my left, the Timber Mountain Log Ride to the right, and the Calico Mine Ride straight ahead. I never did get tired of that. (Or of any of those rides.)

The new area around SheiKra at Busch Gardens Africa is often cited as being particularly nice, but it's worth mentioning again. Not only is the area itself beautiful, but the coaster soars over, under and around it on all sides, giving that entire section of the park a real vitality and excitement.

The "boardwalk" side of Indiana Beach is alive with amusements of all types, and is another--somewhat larger--area that I especially enjoy.

And I'm hopeful that the High-In-The-Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride will finally give Seuss Landing at IOA the visual and aural kick in the pants that it needs to really put it over the top.

Does anyone else have any particular favorites?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice topic, several nice area come to mind right away...

*Crackaxle Canyon at SFNE-When this area was added to the park I was shocked to see it so well-themed. The park has a DC comics themed area which I really don't care for... but Crackaxle really adds a much-needed well themed area with a nice selection of themed rides.

*Asia at Disney's Animal Kingdom-Love the architecture and of course-Everest looming over the entire section doesn't hurt the landscape.

I think this is the best area at the park as they blend the animal exhibits, rides, and shops so well.

*Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom-Always been somewhat of a sci-fan, I used to REALLY like this area because it had one of my favorite rides-Alien Encounter, but we all know what happened there.

Even though I've never been to Disney Sea, the Mysterious Island section looks spectacular. Can't wait to see it for myself whenever we have the TPR Japan trip.

Stanleyville (SheiKra's area) is nice, but I think Timbuktu at BGT was done better. It felt like you are in Morocco with the sandstone buildings along with the shops/games having the Moroccan charm.

DisneySea in general is gorgeous. I don't care for Agrabah, Port Discovery or Ariel's Grotto, but every other area of the park is fantasmic. Venice, Cape Cod, NYC, Mexico and Mt Prometheus are all light years ahead of even most Disney themed zones.

Europa Park has some lovely areas, Greece, Switzerland and Austria pop into my head right away.

Parc Asterix and Gardaland have a couple nice spots, too.

For a smaller park, the end of Canobie behind the flume and the swinging ship is nice. I wish they could improve the area near the picnic grounds, though.

Lost Kennywood is also nice. (I did most of this park after dark, so the area around Racer and Jackrabbit didn't get a good look-see.)

If I said that I like the the winter view of Cyclone from Nathan's Famous, would that bother anybody?

I think New France at BGW is really awsome! Not to many rides but they have the Smokehouse and you can smell it the whole way through! Really good scenery also. Another one is all of Dollywood! They dont have to do much to make that park awsome!

I Myself Love that way hershey Park is i particarly like the Main Entrance it sort of gives the park a "small town" feel. I reall also like Asia in Disney's Animal Kingdom. Lost Continent in IOA is fairly well too! Soon to be finished is the whole Kingda Ka and El Toro section of Six Flags I love just walkin into the area and seein the towering coaster above you![/code]

I love Adventureland, DL personally (minus the crouds), but my real favorite land would be New Orleans Square....aparently so nice, its worth campaigning for.

Anyway, the little nooks and crannies are so detailed and romantic. The place has such atmosphere...I love it!

-Jahan

Hmmm, good post. This one had me thinking for a bit. I'm one of those who generally feel that when it comes to "theming," there's Disney, and then everthing else. However, upon closer inspection, there really are some good examples throughout the other chains.

My personal favorite of all time is EPCOT's World Showcase. After that, I can think of several non-Disney parts of certain parks that come to mind. Ironically, two of my favorite places on earth are respresented by Universal Studios Florida's Martha's Vineyard area, and Sea World Orlando's Florida Keys area (I think it's specifically Key West). They both seem very authentic in theme park terms, and make me wish I was really there.

BGW also does a good job throughout the park with the different European countries that are represented. Like someone else stated, Dollywood looks really good too from the pictures and video I've seen (hope to see for myself this summer).

Finally, I guess you could mention any of Universal's "Islands", so I'll just say the whole park gets a vote. They obviously studied WDW long and hard before designing IOA.

Tokyo Disney Sea in general.

Every part of this park I have seen seems tailor-made and themed to what water'port' it's to represent. It looks stunning, from every photo angle I've seen of it.

Frontierland and Adventureland at DisneylandParis.

- The 'flow' from one land to the other is quite something, with a huge amount of landscaping here, in Adventureland for sure, and 'landsculpting' there, especially in Frontierland.

- Definitely those two lands over several others in Disney parks.

Of course I think Expedition Everest's area, Shiekra, and DisneySea are amazing, but I've never been to any of those parks! So based off just places I've been to...

Miniland at Legoland California. From what I remember, this area only has one ride (the boats), but it is such a unique and relaxing section! You can walk around and see just tons of meticulously sculpted Lego towns. Some of the skyscrapers are as tall as full-sized adults!

New Orleans Square, said to be "the closest thing to New Orleans than actually being there!" And is apparently so, as proven by the New Orleans city mayor's website banner. The whole area is very realistic, and as previously stated, if it weren't so darn crowded it would be very relaxing. It doesn't hurt that it holds two of the greatest darkrides ever, either.

Ghost Town at Knotts Berry Farm. True, it has lost some of its charm after all these years...okay, ALOT of its charm, but are ghost towns supposed to be charming? Like New Orleans Square, everything is realistic and well-themed, including the rides. And I don't care what anyone says about Ghostrider, it's top in my book.

Like others, I really like the Frontierland and Adventureland areas of Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland Paris. Each is different, yet all are nicely themed and put the spirit of the moment in me each time I'm there.

Although it lacks lots of rides, I'm also fond of Dollywood's Craftman's Valley and pretty much all of Silver Dollar City's atmosphere (especially the left side of the park from the entrance up to Powder Keg).

Europa Park is also extremely well themed all throughout, but I honestly can't pick one area that stands out more than the others.

This is a fun topic. I love the way (in my opinion) how Disney has pioneered the term "themepark" and they still are able to do it almost better than anyone else. Sure, there is other (Florida*park*cough) parks that copy on that trend, but Walt was the all-time visionary by any doubt!

I have several items of interest to add:

IOA-Jurassic park section

and I am being biased here having worked for them 14+yrs, but I would add BGE. The theming in some parts are very nice, but damn if (too this very day..lol) that I can hum the music to EACH %$U*$#*((# country in that park. I recall sometimes working the graveyard shift on LNM/DF/BBW that I would go home and actually STILL hum that music...(Please let the insantity stoppppppp).

They obviously studied WDW long and hard before designing IOA.

I don't see any resemblance to anything in WDW. IOA is completely it's own.

My favorite themed land in any park, bar none, is Lost Continent. It's architecture and atmospheric details are unmatched anywhere, IMO. It does need a large dark ride for people who don't enjoy coasters though. Otherwise, all we can do is watch shows.

They obviously studied WDW long and hard before designing IOA.

I don't see any resemblance to anything in WDW. IOA is completely it's own.

Good Lord, people. Don't take everything literally. The point is that Universal made sure they addressed every little detail possible in the design phase. Attention to detail, JT3000. That's what they share in common. You make it sound like I noticed Cinderella's Castle in the Jurassic Park area or something.

Very good observations I'm seeing here. One other thing that really sets the mood is the music. One of the things I remember about when I first went to IOA, was seeing the lighthouse in the distance, eventually hearing the music in Port Of Entry-really set the mood of the area and this carries on through all the themed islands.

I would have to say that Silver Dollar City is the best when it comes to theme and atmosphere. I love every area of this park and the new Grand Exposition section is a nice addition.

I like most of the areas at Disney World as well. Some of my favorites are World Showcase in Epcot, Frontierland and Adventureland.

To echo what others have said...

Lost Continent at IOA. Standing in front of Poseidon's Whatever and looking around is always just so...amazing. I love both the details and overall look of Port of Entry, too. And the park-within-a-park aspect of JP always delights me.

DAK's Asia has great, authentic details, too.

Interesting that, despite its reputation, BGE hasn't gotten any mentions yet...

Here are my picks for best themed areas of the parks that I have visited.

- All the countries in the World Showcase at Epcot, especially Morocco.

- All the islands at Islands Of Adventure, especially Lost Continent, Port of

Entry, and Seuss Landing.

- New York & Amity at Universal Studios Florida.

- Asia, Africa & Discovery Island at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

- The Waterfront at Sea World Orlando.

- Sunset Blvd. at The Disney-MGM Studios.

- Main Street USA at The Magic Kingdom & Disneyland.

- Paradise Pier at Disney's California Adventure.

- Ghost Town at Knott's Berry Farm.

- Eygpt at Busch Gardens Africa, Tampa Bay.

--Eric J.

and I am being biased here having worked for them 14+yrs, but I would add BGE. The theming in some parts are very nice, but damn if (too this very day..lol) that I can hum the music to EACH %$U*$#*((# country in that park. I recall sometimes working the graveyard shift on LNM/DF/BBW that I would go home and actually STILL hum that music...(Please let the insantity stoppppppp).

^^ Actually it was, Shepp, A few posts above yours. He just had A LOT to say about it, in there somewhere, lol.

Thanks for all the replies. It's quite interesting to see different peoples' takes on this.

I do like the Waterfront area at SeaWorld Orlando quite a bit. That park also has what may be my favorite park entrance area.

Another neat area that's now (largely) gone is KBF's Roaring 20's section. I very much enjoyed it growing up, but I think I would like it even more now that I know a bit more about the history of amusement parks, and how significant that period was in terms of rides and their development. It's ironic that Knott's (again, largely) dropped this theme right before DCA took it and ran with it.

Speaking of which...I do like Paradise Pier, but California Screamin' kind of ruins it for me. I mean, it's a good ride, but all those half tunnel things are just so weird and ugly. Props though for the Sun Wheel and the circle swing.

Terra Mitica is one amazing looking park. The same can be said about Gardaland. With the exception of the area behind Magic Mountain, the Vekoma looper, its one fantastic looking park with great atmosphere.