TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite park Train (choo-choo)?

Kings Island

I hope you are talking during Haunt when they act like the train breaks down, and everyone has to walk back through the woods.

It is nice that it stops at the water park.

• 5 weeks later...
Knoebles little train is my favorite

I forgot about the one at Knoebles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUU8MIwVUSY

The Knoebels train at night is really great. My pick would probably be the one at Busch Williamsburg. It's full sized, you'll get some nice views and it's functional (meaning that it's not just for show and actually useful in getting from place to place in the park).

• 5 months later...

I have never been there, but here's some interesting trivia about it anyway:

At Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch, there were two different railroads. One was a three foot gauge railroad where the locomotive was a legit steam locomotive named Katherine after his Mom (it originally ran at Carowinds before its railroad closed). The other was a smaller two foot gauge railroad made by Chance Rides with a locomotive named C.P. Huntington. I snickered at that last one.

Also, the majority of the best park railroads all seem to be three foot narrow gauge, and here's a Wikipedia article on the subject that I have been editing extensively over the past month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_foot_gauge_railways

Let's see if your favorite is on that list.

Probably the best one I've ever been on is the one at Dollywood, and I was extremely disappointed when I discovered that it was closed when I visited this past December. I like it because the ride is fairly long, it is scenic and also the locomotive itself is an historic old-school coal-fired model.

Since my previous post...

Another train ride I have always enjoyed, and made it a point to ride

whenever I was at the park, is Efteling's train ride. It cuts through

the park, instead of going totally around it, and goes by some iconic

attractions, like Fata Morgana.

1426216570_ResizeofM-09.jpg.2b0f44035017046c8007fea1a59efc6e.jpg

The train engine, with its friendly engineer, who has relatives where I live! (2010 TPR Europe Tour)

300396972_ResizeofM-10.jpg.d19c9e1e4db4fd1a73d07747679baecf.jpg

From the train, seeing Fata Morgana, a Disney Pirates sort-of rip off,

based on the Arabian Nights, non-PC. Truth.

I really should start riding the trains at parks. The ones I have done, errm, the few I have done are:

- Window on China. The train here is used to go one one side of the park to another. It was also the fastest mini train ever and with nothing stopping you from falling out either side!

- Oakwood. This one takes you from the park entrance to the park.

- Hokkaido Greenland. This train takes you around the lake at the bottom of the park with the cycle monorail type thing above you on a rail.

- Blackpool Pleasure Beach. A weird train ride around, under and over a lot of the park and it's attractions. I think it only currently operates one of it's stations so it's a round trip.

- Drayton Manor. I took the train from the zoo back to Thomas Land. Nicely themed train and actually takes you somewhere!

- Can I count Dollywood?, I got on the train, sat for 5 minutes and got off it again as it had problems!

Special shout-out to the Santa Fé Express located in Fort Fun Abenteuerland. Through my research, I believe it is the most legit American-themed park railroad in a park that was neither built nor run by US-based companies. It's because it has a true steam locomotive and not a steam outline (diesel made to look like a steamer) and because the track gauge is three feet, which was a very common narrow gauge in late 19th Century North America and Ireland, but hardly anywhere else.

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=10284

germany881.jpg.89e1b63d512ff51220eb62295791514d.jpg

I mentioned in my last post that three foot gauge railroads outside North America (mainly the US) are rare. Here are two more parks outside the control of US companies in unlikely places with three foot gauge railroads:

Kuwait Entertainment City (Kuwait City, west of downtown)

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=19844

Al Zawra’a Dream Park (Baghdad, near the former Green Zone)

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=19838

These two railroads also have a notorious relationship. Kuwait Entertainment City first bought its train from a US company named Crown Metal Products and was either present at the park's opening in 1984, or starting sometime later in the 1980s. Later in the early 1990s, Iraqi forces took the train during their invasion of Kuwait and Saddam Hussein had it installed at the Al Zawra'a park complex in downtown Baghdad (hence the same very unusual track gauge for that part of the world). Kuwait Entertainment City later bought a brand-new locomotive from a British company named Severn Lamb who had it installed in 1995 and it still runs today. The railroad at the Al Zawra'a park complex still runs, but the locomotive in use looks like some makeshift diesel locomotive and not an American-themed steam locomotive. It's possible that the Crown locomotive in Baghdad was eventually lost during Operation Desert Storm or possibly even Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. Another possibility is that the people put in charge of running the locomotive found out the hard way that running and maintaining a legit steam locomotive is a pain-in-the-ass even with the right skill sets and experience, so it may very well have simply broken down with no one knowing how to fix it and had it scrapped.

Anyway, next time any of you guys are in Baghdad and you decide to check out Al-Zawra Dream Park (perhaps to see the new Vekoma SLC that is opening soon), make sure to get your ride credit on the park's railroad, the strangest and most nefarious park railroad in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Special shout out to the Tweetsie Railroad in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. It's an oddball amusement park in that it has a legit, historical train ride around the park like many heavyweight parks, and yet it only has low-to-mid-tier carnival-type rides and no roller coasters.

Also, fun fact, the guys that opened Tweetsie Railroad in 1957 also opened the Rebel Railroad in 1961, the park that would later become Dollywood. Tweetsie Railroad is still independently owned and basically looks like Dollywood pre-1986 before Dolly Parton's involvement.

Trrlogo.jpg.d2566cda42d4277936cf6c3877c0acad.jpg

Special shout out to the Tweetsie Railroad in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. It's an oddball amusement park in that it has a legit, historical train ride around the park like many heavyweight parks, and yet it only has low-to-mid-tier carnival-type rides and no roller coasters.

I second your shout out to Tweetsie Railroad. I only wish they would put a nice little family coaster there...

• 2 years later...

For those interested, I wrote a Wikipedia article in 2014 listing all of the Disney park trains and have updated it extensively since that time. I created almost all of their route diagrams, as well. Also, several non-Disney trains with very similar traits to Disney trains are listed in the article's "See also" section. By "similar", I mean amusement park or amusement park-ish trains that have at least one historic (built before 1960) steam locomotive running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Walt_Disney_Parks_and_Resorts