TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What are those little spikey things?

I have noticed in several pics on this site that there are B&M's that have these skinny little "spikes" jutting out on both sides of the track and there will be a series of these along portions of the track. I have never noticed these while riding any of the 10 or so B&M's I have been on.

What are they?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a more clear idea of what you're talking about, specifically which B&Ms, I'm just going to have to guess you're talking about Goliath at SFOG and Sheikra and say they are poles used to hold the nets up for lost articles. If you can specifically point out pictures of what you're talking about, we can probably make better guesses.

You mean in this picture: http://www.rcdb.com/ig2662.htm?picture=59 ?

And here: http://www.rcdb.com/ig3290.htm?picture=56 ?

In the Sheikra picture, sections of the track orginally had them then they were removed later when it was determined that it wasn't needed. It looks like SFOG's Goliath didn't come with them originally and then were added on. You can see that the rods are bolted to the track ties in the Goliath picture.

When I went to SFOG, I noticed that those "nets" really look more like metal chainlink fences. I really don't see the point of the nets. Loose change is probably the main thing that falls to the ground during the ride, and that could very easily slip through those large gaps. http://pictures.rcdb.com/picmax/six-flags-over-georgia/goliath46.jpg

I see no point in the "chain link" nets on Goliath's first drop. Nothing is going to fly out of your pockets as you go down. And if they did the momentem needed to pull them out would take the beyond the end of the loose articals net. and at the bottom whats it gonna do? Rip a hole in your pocket and fly down your pants leg and fall of? Not thinkin' so!

When I went to SFOG, I noticed that those "nets" really look more like metal chainlink fences. I really don't see the point of the nets. Loose change is probably the main thing that falls to the ground during the ride, and that could very easily slip through those large gaps. http://pictures.rcdb.com/picmax/six-flags-over-georgia/goliath46.jpg

They will stop cell phones, hats, etc. CAMERAS for all you crazy coaster people who take cameras on the rides . Change...hmm not so sure, I guess its to break the fall of a lethal penny flying at the speed of sound. Ha I guess.

Yeah considering that those "fences" are over EVERY piece of track where people or cars can be underneath it on Goliath, same with SheiKra. They are there where populated areas of the park are so that guests can't be hit buy loose articles...

Colin C

They will stop cell phones, hats, etc. CAMERAS for all you crazy coaster people who take cameras on the rides . Change...hmm not so sure, I guess its to break the fall of a lethal penny flying at the speed of sound. Ha I guess.

Actually Myth Busters proved that a penny dropped off something even as high as the Empire State Building- will not kill you!

Actually Myth Busters proved that a penny dropped off something even as high as the Empire State Building- will not kill you!

Well, Imagine if someone hurled a quarter at your face at the speed of its terminal velocity. That would still be pretty painful!

Alright guys, answer this B&M question..

Ive always been curious What exactly the purpose of these type of supports? (the rightmost support on the cobra roll)

I always assumed they are supports fitted with bearings that allow the track to flex as the coaster goes over that support, reducing stress on the track. Is that their real purpose? or am I way off?

Alright guys, answer this B&M question..

Ive always been curious What exactly the purpose of these type of supports? (the one in the right of the picture)

I always assumed they are supports fitted with bearings that allow the track to flex as the coaster goes over that support, reducing stress on the track. Is that their real purpose? or am I way off?

which bit am i looking at, the part between the support and track connector?

You're correct. There's a bearing in there that allows the track more freedom of movement than the regular support braces. Check out the middle support on inverted zero-G rolls. Same thing.

I see no point in the "chain link" nets on Goliath's first drop. Nothing is going to fly out of your pockets as you go down. And if they did the momentem needed to pull them out would take the beyond the end of the loose articals net. and at the bottom whats it gonna do? Rip a hole in your pocket and fly down your pants leg and fall of? Not thinkin' so!

K, 'cept my cell phone, and then my wallet a week later. Ride it in the back and see if you're not pulled out of your seat. The zero gravity that governs your ass also governs anything in your pockets.

And before some of you lose your mind, both articles were buttoned in.

You're correct. There's a bearing in there that allows the track more freedom of movement than the regular support braces. Check out the middle support on inverted zero-G rolls. Same thing.

Awesome, thanks for answering my question! I feel a little smarter now..