TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Interview

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the Dive Machine will become successful after SheiKra proved that Dive Machines could do more than just a drop and turn?

Why do you have strict limitations on your designs? From what I have heard, you would never do a launched coaster or make a coaster thats above 299 feet.

Why is it that you design your rides to be a little less intense and less thrilling then others? For example Shiekra, Silver Bullet, and Hydra were all made in the same year. Yet Shiekra seems to be the only one in the bunch which delivers a real thrill, where as Hydra or Silver Bullet look scary, but when you ride them its just a smooth ride which happens to flip you upside down 6 times, give or take.

Anyways... ask something similar to that. I'm sure a lot of people want to know.

And another one... Are there any designs that they wish they could go back and redo slightly just to get a little more out of it?

Mainly because I've always wondered with rides like Kraken where they had chances to do just a little more (IE that hill with no air before the tunnel and then the rise into the break run which could have been something interesting) do they regret not doing that little extra?

One Final question would be... why do you not make your cobra rolls today like what you did back when you first started out with rides like Kumba and Raptor?

So any variations of those questions would be nice. Wether or not you ask them is up to you... ofcourse.

Also, are you planning on video taping the whole conversation?

I'd like to know about any type of special training or education it takes to get involved with the coaster business. I'm currently a mechanical engineerign student at Western Kentucky University hoping to one day work in the industry, and if those guys have any advise I'd lvoe to receive it! Thanks

Same here - I'm not that far in the game yet, but I want to know soon. I've wanted to design roller coasters my whole life.

Golfie

-What is your opinion on Intamin coasters?

-What are your favorite B&M coasters?

-Is it possible that we will ever see a completely B&M-designed woodie?

-What are your opinions on Patriot at Worlds of Fun, in comparison to Talon at Dorney Park?

-To you, what makes a great coaster?

Thanks for all of the questions! We will weed through them and come up with the best ones to ask Walter.

As for the interview, the plan is to video it. But, that might change depending on the scheduling.

Chris

The question I would ask is:

Has there been a concious effort in recent years to lessen the forces on B&M's more recent rides, and if so, was that decision based on the demands of the parks or the opinions of the designers?

I would also like to know if they have ever engaged in contracts with parks that restrict them from replicating any specific ride designs. There are rumors of them not being able to build certain types of rides, for example, another Dive Machine, because of a contract with Busch Gardens.

I am wondering if they would actually do something like this because it hinders their possible business with other parks.

My question would be this:

Regardless if it is on B&M's drawing boards, is a launched Flyer theortetically possible.

For those of you on the TPR board here is what I mean. Imagine sitting in a "Flying B&M Train" but instead of facing forward and being pulled up into the flying-mode, do this in reverse. Board the train facing the rear of the station (like X at SFMM) and be lowered onto your back. After vacating the station and hitting the launch element (face to the sky, still "Backwards" per se) climbing up a one-half pretzel element (curving skyward but still looking backwards to the launch). It would pull roughly the same G's as diving into a pretzel (speed and position) and you would emerge at the top facing forward in the flying position. The ride would then go on to traverse multiple flying elements in the traditional B&M face-forward mode. I am not talking a Hyper-flyer, but just something in the 55-60 mph and 110-125 foot max. height. To me it seems like it could be done, but hey, I don't design coasters for a living (other than Roller Coaster Tycoon 3). Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a scheduling conflict, Walter Bollinger was unable to make the Tatsu media day. He sent his regards though. We were able to talk to Eric Berra, head of Mechanical Construction for B&M. Eric is actually the man that designed those amazingly comfortable flyer trains!

He was able to clear up some of the things that were on everyone's minds, including the Alpengeist zero-car conspiracy. We just got back from our trip out west and we will have the interview up soon!

Sorry, at his request we did not film the interview.

Thanks,

Chris

We asked him many questions and spoke to him almost 30 minutes. We asked him his thoughts on the Intamin hydraulic launch, about the loss of the "intensity" in their coasters, and what is next for B&M. We even asked him how he felt about "our kind".

I am swamped with work this week, but I hope to have the B&M interview along with our Tatsu review done by Sunday. First up is our Voyage review that should go up on ThrillRide and RideWorld by the weekend!

Later,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...