TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Interview

Hey all,

RideWorld has the opportunity to interview Walter Bolliger at the Tatsu media day on May 11th. If anyone has any questions they would like us to ask, just post them here in this thread. We also hope to video the interview and post it on the site.

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know how B&M view the competition in the coaster world. Do they see it as a cut-throat industry where you must always be ahead of everyone else, or do they respect each designer's types of rides and stay with what they feel most comfortable with?

Building off of that one, I would like to know if they have any regrets breaking away from Intamin. Could they see themselves being as wildly successful had they stayed or was that the best decision of their lives?

I anxiously await the results of the interview. I'm sure it'll be great!

I'd like to know about any type of special training or education it takes to get involved with the coaster business. I'm currently a mechanical engineerign student at Western Kentucky University hoping to one day work in the industry, and if those guys have any advise I'd lvoe to receive it! Thanks

I'd like to know about any type of special training or education it takes to get involved with the coaster business. I'm currently a mechanical engineerign student at Western Kentucky University hoping to one day work in the industry, and if those guys have any advise I'd lvoe to receive it! Thanks

Same case for me. When I'll be out of University with my diploma in Mechanical Engineering, I don't know where to go, what way to take to be hired at a company in the industry.

This would be a good question to ask !

I would like to know 3 items of interest:

1. With advancements in technology and new (lighter/stronger alloys), will any of these new advancements be incorporated into future rides?

2. With parks and marketing challenging each other with record heights/speeds, are there any new design challenges in keeping with client/customer requests?

3. What is the future of rollercoaster design(s)?

I'm guessing he'll continue to be pretty tight-lipped about future projects. I talked to him for a while on Goliath's Media Day, and while he was very open about past projects, he was reluctant to speak about future possibilities......and rightfully so, I might add. So I'd say that questions about Alpy's "zero" car, or the inspiration for this or that stand a much better chance of getting answered than "What's going into BGW next year," etc, etc.

With that said, he was a very pleasant man to speak with, and his english was much better than what I had expected. All in all, it was the highlight of my day without a doubt.

Maybe, in the context of a professional interview, he'll be slighty more willing to open up about what's in store for B&M. Afterall, I really would like to know about this supposed "railgun" launch system they've allegedly been working on. It'd sure be a treat for all of us. I wish you guys at Ride World all the best!

Rcoasters and Hilltopper39, I can help you : I had mail B&M a few months ago about that, and they told me :

How can you become a roller coaster designer? In our opinion, the best way is to have an excellent background in civil or mechanical engineering. A degree in one of these fields would allow you to design a wide range of equipment as well as roller coasters. Working a couple of years in an amusement park would also be a valuable asset. This would give you a practical experience which is always very important.

To tell the truth, however, the number of roller coasters built each year is very small. The number of positions available in that domain is therefore also limited.

[...]

You can mail them for more information, they are very "cool" at B&M !

Yea...I'm not going to bother with the "future projects" questions. As tempting as it is.

How about this...

"How do you feel about the whole coaster enthusast community? Do you look at them and smile in glee or think of them as geeky 'trekies', and for what reason?"

-Jahan "Its a stretch, but I'd like to hear the reaction!" Makanvand

That I still think they should put one of their floorless coasters on a track less than the width of an Intamin track- cause with their trains, then the people on the outside would have nothing under them AND nothing over them- and with such a norrow track it would be hard to see the track while riding!

Where did you come up with the idea of the Zero-G Roll?

Why did you break away from Intamin?

Will you ever build more stand-up coasters?

What is your opinion on the Intamin Rocket Coaster boom?

Will we ever see a coaster with two Zero-G Rolls?

How do you design your rides?

How do you feel about Six Flags' statement that they will not be building any more roller coasters soon?

Why will you not consider building coasters above 299'?

How did you come up with the four-across seating arrangement?

What is THEIR favourite coaster they have designed?

Why won't you build any coasters over 300"?

Will we ever see a launched B&M coaster in the future?

**What will happen to the company if, for whatever reason, you can't design coasters anymore?