TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have you ever been on a coaster in the rain?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Light rain might be the best of all weather types to ride coasters in, taking into account that you are properly dressed. During my visit to Florida in september I had the pleasure of riding Kumba and Manta in light rain.

2004. In line for Millennium Force. There was a HUGE rain shaft out on Lake Erie, about a half mile from the park. We still had a good half hour wait and it was a good distance out, so I wasn't concerned. As we got to the station, the rain shaft had grown into a large wall of water, but still a good distance away. There was no lighning, hell there wasn't another cloud in the sky and the sun was out otherwise. As the it got closer, they temporarily shut down the ride. After about 10 minutes, it looked as if the downpour had passed. My girlfriend and I were next to ride front row. As we loaded, you could see the giant downpour was edging towards the northwest part of the park. A couple of people hollared at the ride ops not to send the train. They held us there for about 2 or 3 minutes and then sent us anyway... the next 2 minutes were nothing but pure PAIN! As we crested the lift, it didn't rain, it was a deluge of water, basically a very heavy thunderstorm without the thunder and lightning. All we could do was crouch over and cover our faces. The drops felt like thousands of needles. As we came into the brake run, you could hear a woman behind us in our car freaking out. As we got off the ride dripping like we went on a chute the shoots, and our bodys tingling all over, the ride attendants were gathering around the woman, who was screaming her eye was bleeding. Sure enough, this woman had a nice trail of blood coming from her eye and the ride attendants called first aid. I guess a large drop of water hitting your open eye going 95 MPH can be forcefull enough to make your eye bleed. Anyway, needless to say, it was a HORRIFIC ride!

2004. In line for Millennium Force. There was a HUGE rain shaft out on Lake Erie, about a half mile from the park. We still had a good half hour wait and it was a good distance out, so I wasn't concerned. As we got to the station, the rain shaft had grown into a large wall of water, but still a good distance away. There was no lighning, hell there wasn't another cloud in the sky and the sun was out otherwise. As the it got closer, they temporarily shut down the ride. After about 10 minutes, it looked as if the downpour had passed. My girlfriend and I were next to ride front row. As we loaded, you could see the giant downpour was edging towards the northwest part of the park. A couple of people hollared at the ride ops not to send the train. They held us there for about 2 or 3 minutes and then sent us anyway... the next 2 minutes were nothing but pure PAIN! As we crested the lift, it didn't rain, it was a deluge of water, basically a very heavy thunderstorm without the thunder and lightning. All we could do was crouch over and cover our faces. The drops felt like thousands of needles. As we came into the brake run, you could hear a woman behind us in our car freaking out. As we got off the ride dripping like we went on a chute the shoots, and our bodys tingling all over, the ride attendants were gathering around the woman, who was screaming her eye was bleeding. Sure enough, this woman had a nice trail of blood coming from her eye and the ride attendants called first aid. I guess a large drop of water hitting your open eye going 95 MPH can be forcefull enough to make your eye bleed. Anyway, needless to say, it was a HORRIFIC ride!

Wow, that sounds pretty insane.

• 3 weeks later...

I sat near the back of Batman the Ride at SFGADV. I went around once, and stayed on with flash pass people. It was pouring both times. On the second time around, it got stuck, and my row was outside the roof of the brake run.. Needless to say, there was a bucket type thing that caught water above me.. The train jerked forwards and it dumped all over me. If you would've added ice, it would have been an ALS Ice Bucket challenge!

• 1 year later...
Most recently I got to ride The Beast in the rain this past June. I don't think I've ever been more soaked to the bone on a coaster ride before. It had just started to rain really hard as the train before mine was about to be dispatched, then the train was sent, and the crowd cheered. Then it was our turn. As our train was dispatched the ride op on headset said "Enjoy your ride on the world's longest water ride!" We went off and right as we hit the first lift, I was already soaked. The rest of the ride was blazing fast, and the rain felt like pellets it hurt so much. But it was one of the best rides I've ever had on The Beast.

Found a picture of the aftermath from this post. Still one of the best rides I've ever had on Beast.

I think it took like 3 or 4 hours for my clothes to dry...

IMG_0272.JPG.acdb79eda60809cd2020a2c5c0bd4f57.JPG

One of the best ride experiences I have ever had came a few years ago at SFGAdv on El Toro. The rain had been looming the entire day, and appeared to be hold off into the night. The group I was with decided to make one last run El Toro run before the park closed. As we are waiting in line, the drops start. Not much, you felt a drop every now and again, but the real question was whether or not they would shut the ride because of the weather. We're standing in line, inching closer to the station and the rain continues to hold off just enough. We finally reach the station and board the train (near the back), and they send us off. As soon as the train reaches the lift hill, the skies open up. I mean it happened so fast. The entire train erupted into a frenzy. The jovial screaming and yelling. Fantastic! It was pouring by the time we turned the corner for the first hill. It was insane. The rain starts to hurt as the train makes its way through the tracks. The sheer intensity that El Toro already brings to the table, coupled with the rain and the adrenaline, it was like nothing I ever experienced. The train hits the brake run and everyone starts cheering. I mean, cheering! Like yells and claps and screaming. Vulgarities being thrown left and right in happiness. It was the loudest group of people ever.

I have a picture of the on ride photo somewhere, and it's still one of my favorite photos.

I rode I305 in pouring rain twice before they closed down all the coasters, including Flight of Fear, which I was perplexed about. That thing hurt, but the whole train was laughing and smiling all the way back to the station. It was probably one of my favorite coaster experiences ever, despite the constant pain the rain caused.

When I visited Cedar Point in 2014, I was genuinely surprised to see Maverick running in the rain. We had FL+ and rode it about 5 times in a row...in the front row. Definitely an unforgettable experience.

I also have a faint memory of riding Millennium Force in the rain--it could have been that same day. Painful!

Yes.

Colossus at Heide Park 2008

Falken at Farup Sommerland 2009

Tornado at Sommerland Syd 2009 (park now closed)

What I can remember....

J_03FarupSommerlandFalken.jpg.19183f13012b297b490e6d1b85af0b2b.jpg

Falken - "the wet" coming into the station. TPR 2009 Scandi Tour

F_02SommerlandSyd_Tornado.jpg.f1cc8e1faa896412e56f822f6b0fcdc1.jpg

Tornado, Sommerland Syd - nonstop rain on this one. 2009 Scandi Tour