TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have you ever been on a coaster in the rain?

I have ridden both Scorpion and Maverick in the rain. I had the entire train to myself on Scorpion. I actually tried to make a mini-marathon out of it and rode it three consecutive times alone. The Maverick ride was somewhat painful given the rain. But, it's Maverick, so the pain was also pleasurable.

Edited by Intaman

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ridden a few coasters in the rain, most notably Goliath at SFMM. It was the media day and it did rain for a little while, not super hard but just a steady rain, but it was enough to really sting. I don't wear glasses so I got a couple closed eye rides that day. Then there was the soggiest day I've ever spent at a park, at BGE back in the summer of 03'. It was cloudy early in the day, and then it started to pour down a little after 11 am and never quit. There was no lightning or thunder so I think they kept all the rides open, or at least the ones we really wanted to ride. My friend and I rode Alpengeist a few times at night in the steady rain (at that point I was already soaked to the core, sneakers all squishy and even my underclothes wet) and the rides were actually very good (this was when Alpengeist was much smoother than it is now). The only bad thing was that oily water from the track got on my shirt (a downside to riding suspended coasters in the rain for sure), but it did come out in the wash. They had a sign warning that track grease could get on your clothes in the rain, but it didn't deter any of us from riding.

Also got soaked on a Disk-O (not sure where that was) - just as the ride started it just poured. My friend insisted that we ride it but I suggested that we hold off a bit and wait as I thought it looked like a downpour was coming. All she noticed was how short the line was, and so we decided to ride. Bad move - after the rainstorm it suddenly got really chilly and everything - including our light non water proof jackets, were soaked. The sun was going down and we spent a long time trying to get warmed up and dried off. Actually I think we may have been at Waldameer when this happened (and Ravine Flyer was totally intense after the rain passed, as is the case with most woodies and rain).

Yes, I've ridden coasters in the rain a number of times--and the Big Bad Wolf during a snowstorm once. But I don't think anything tops TPR's Ravine Flyer 2 Thunderstorm ERT session a few years back. I wasn't there for that one, but it looked completely insane (and fun).

I went to holiday world in the rain, and I'm glad they keep their rides open! I got to ride every coaster in the rain. It was definitely an enhanced riding experience.

I've also been to Thorpe park in the rain, and got to ride Nemesis Inferno in the rain. I had a similar riding experience on BMTR at SFOG. B&M front seat inverts in the rain = stinging pain.

I went to Cedar Point in 2005, back when they kept a fair few coasters running in the rain. Rode Millennium Force 12 times in an hour in torrential rain, it was like having pins stuck into any exposed skin, BUT there was no line, and that was gold in pre fast pass days. When I got back to Breakers my spray jacket was covered in little black bugs. Magnum and Raptor also hurt in the rain.

Waldameer Ravine Flyer II, torrential rain, yes I was part of the infamous TPR tour ride the lightning ERT session.

Farup Sommerland in the rain, Lynet and Falken, cool rides, but painful in the rain and it was so cold.

Well i remember the horror of riding Sky Rocket in the poring rain, this during ERT on the Road to Cedar Point back in 2011!

Mostly my rides in the rain are just pure horror, i'll rather get a drink somewhere in the park

^ I was going to mention that one! Sky Rocket was probably the heaviest rain I've ridden in (and a launched coaster too!).

There was a launched coaster on the Scandi trip that we rode in heavy rain as well, both instances weren't too painful though as I was in a full poncho with my face fully covered. I've ridden a few in the front row in the rain though and that stings, I'd have to be pretty desperate to ride to do that again!

If it's just a drizzly rain, it can actually enhance a ride (Thunder Coaster at Tusenfryd seems to run better after a bit of a soaking). But riding a coaster in a heavy rain can be a bit painful (like you're being stung by hundreds of bees).

Back in 2010 I was doing a, sort of, mini marathon ERT on Anubis (Plopsaland De Panne) with a friend of mine. Yeah, it was raining whole the time and I made about 40 laps ore so. I just had to stop because I wasn't feeling my face anymore... And It was freezing cold.

Also, not so long ago in april i've ridden Stealth in Thorpe park for the very first time. It was just starting to snow heavily right before we where launched. And I was sitting front seat. I thought the ride was awesome, but then again I was crying like a little baby because of all the snow that jammed into my face at that speed .

When it's raining, I prefer to ride Wooden Rollercoasters. Man, they are wild at that moment, so lovely *airtime all the way!*

Sky Rocket in 2011 was pretty wet! The coolest one was backwards Superman at SFMM during WCB. It was just starting to rain and it looked like the Matrix movie. The rain seemed to pause in mid air and reverse direction. For a split second all the rain was frozen in place and it looked really cool.

I've ridden many coasters in the rain. Light rain is OK, but a downpour can be painful.

I do like parks that will run their rides in a light rain, as opposed to shutting down the entire park if they detect a puffy cloud seven stages away (Knott's).

dt

Well i remember the horror of riding Sky Rocket in the poring rain, this during ERT on the Road to Cedar Point back in 2011!

Mostly my rides in the rain are just pure horror, i'll rather get a drink somewhere in the park

I was going to put this Werner but you beat me to it!

I think the phrase drowned rat is appropriate, that was some really heavy rain, i remember the pathways flooding up to 3-4 inches in a really short space of time maybe 5-10 minutes

• 3 months later...

For sh*ts and giggles I decided to take a heavy rain ride on Ravine Flyer II during a dead, rainy June weekday after being coerced by my operators. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't my A-Team working the ride that day. All I remember is holding on for dear life with my eyes shut while being pierced with needles all over my face. The rest of me came off pretty dry due to my sexy poncho. Maybe if I was still a young teen and more stupid would I ever want to do that again.

Last week when I went to Cedar Point it rained for an hour or so and I got to ride both Raptor and Wicked Twister in the rain! I also rode gatekeeper in the meantime but either it wasn't raining at all or it was so light I couldn't even feel it.

I've been on several in the rain. Most memorable was magnum xl 200. We were stuck at the top with a strong storm on top of us. Lighting striking just off shore. We were in the second row the two little girls in front of us were crying. It was pretty crazy.

My most recent ride in the rain was Gold Striker and that was pure bliss. There was no lines all day for any ride, but I just stuck around over there riding multiple times. ( most in a row was 10 )

My most memorable was Goliath at WCB when it was pouring. We get to the top and it starts to rain harder, I was like, "as soon as we come out of that tunnel, this will hurt." But it was still the best ride i've had on it in awhile.

My entire visit to SFA last month was on a day with on and off light drizzle. Rode every ride there though. When I rode Superman it was raining the hardest, not a downpour but a steady rain fall. You could definitely feel the rain drops hitting you on the ride. Very cool that they didn't close the whole park, cause there were only like 300 people total, every ride was a walk on.

Took my son to Magic Mountain earlier this summer. We get in early due to our Gold Pass and immediately run to Tatsu. We're the first two in line. The start of day testing hadn't been completed yet, so we had to wait about 20 minutes before we actually boarded the ride. We go to the front row naturally. We're strapped in. The seats rotate back so we're facing the ground..... and it starts to absolutely pour. Ride operator asks us if we all are ready for a water ride. Of course everyone cheers, so we take off. That rain pelting your face stings quite a bit let me tell you. The kicker, is that of course the little downpour stopped pretty much immediately after our ride ended.

I've been on many coasters in the rain. Most notably Behemoth, Leviathan, Griffon and Steel Force. All of those were interesting and a bit painful. However, the craziest rain ride just happened on Monday.

I was at Waldameer to grab one or two rides on Ravine Flyer II while on the way home from Cedar Point. Just as we pulled out of the station, the skies opened up into a downpour. It was like being hit in the face with a million tiny pins. It was pretty funny, but rather painful.