TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Disappointing Coaster!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colossos at Heide-Park was also a disappointment but I think it could be amazing if they took good care of it (see Balder at Liseberg).

This!

Colossos might be my most disappointing coaster. Yes, the drop is great and so is the airtime but the helix is a real neck breaker. And the rest of the ride is not that smooth either. It's such a shame, actually. I really hope that it will be much better after the refurb. It has so much potential, I mean look at Balder. That ride is butter smooth!

The airtime on the first drop is good, but feels too in-control and not wild like Mako's. .
I actually like I305 for some of the reasons you don't, but I get that the ride isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea. However, I dare say that what I quoted from you is nothing short of blasphemy.

What made Mako's first drop wild were the seats and restraints. The super wide seats and the comfy, loose clamshell restraint doesn't hold onto you like i305's OTSRs do. I freaked out on Mako when my pants started to give and allowed me to slide a couple inches out of my restraints. i305 wouldn't allow for that to happen.

Additionally, I think how deep you sit into i305's restraints vs Mako's plays a role in how much give you body has with the restraint. The higher the seat or the less deep the seat, the less sense of security.

tl;dr: Lapbars > OTSR

like Mako, but I'm pretty sure that even in Bizarro world, Mako's first drop would not be considered wild in comparison to I305's. It's good, but I305's is probably the best first drop in all of coasterdom.

I dare say that what I quoted from you is nothing short of blasphemy because El Toro's first drop eats i305's first drop and craps it feces all over it.

i305's first drop is still a submissive b*tch to Millennium Force's too.

^

I never will understand the appeal for wanting to be crushed into your seat, going through loooonnng turns and undynamic pacing.

That's the equivalent of saying I never will understand the appeal for wanting of being floated in the air and going hill after damn hill while doing nothing else. I understand that wasn't your cup of tea but you came off as if intensity in a ride is a BAD thing.

I have to agree on Intimidator 305. The first drop is one of the best drops on any coaster, but I wish the rest of the layout had more airtime. I understand that's not why the ride was made, just saying why I prefer most B&M hypers over it. I305 is still a solid 9/10 ride, but I don't love it as much as most enthusiasts.

The other disappointment for me was Kings Island's Diamondback. I had heard that Intimidator at Carowinds was a pretty tame hyper, but hadn't heard the same on Diamondback. The first half is excellent with the tall, air-time filled drops in the woods, but the trim brake took away all speed for the second half.

For me it was Cedar Points' Mean Steak. I'm sure it was great in earlier years, but the day we road it in 2006 it felt like it was going so slow down the big hill I was wondering if it was going to stop. I was looking forward to this woodie, so that's why I was so disappointed.

We thought Gemini was the better woodie there.

Raging Bull. I was genuinely excited to ride this, as it was my first B&M hyper, and prior to it the only hyper I had ridden was Mamba. The idea of a smoother, more modern Mamba was very appealing, but the ride was just not any good.

To be fair the first drop is decent, it's just everything afterwards sucks.

Raging Bull. I was genuinely excited to ride this, as it was my first B&M hyper, and prior to it the only hyper I had ridden was Mamba. The idea of a smoother, more modern Mamba was very appealing, but the ride was just not any good.

To be fair the first drop is decent, it's just everything afterwards sucks.

I would agree with that.

The other disappointment for me was Kings Island's Diamondback. I had heard that Intimidator at Carowinds was a pretty tame hyper, but hadn't heard the same on Diamondback. The first half is excellent with the tall, air-time filled drops in the woods, but the trim brake took away all speed for the second half.
Agreed on Diamondback. I was not at all impressed with it, and of that Cedar Fair trifecta (Behemoth and Intimidator being the other two), I found Diamondback to be the weakest of the bunch.

Oddly enough, Intimidator is one of my favorite B&M hypers.

^

Interesting, I'm the other way around on those two rides. Diamondback is a top ten ride for me thanks to its fantastic floater air throughout. On the other hand, Intimidator might be weakest coaster I've ridden from B&M (it's either that or S:UF at Great America) as it crawls slowly over most of its airhills.

Kingda Ka. I expected it to be the highlight of my Great Adventure trip but El Toro and to a lesser extent Nitro and Batman stole the show. Those three are far superior to Kingda Ka

EJrN6.gif

^

Interesting, I'm the other way around on those two rides. Diamondback is a top ten ride for me thanks to its fantastic floater air throughout. On the other hand, Intimidator might be weakest coaster I've ridden from B&M (it's either that or S:UF at Great America) as it crawls slowly over most of its airhills.

Same here. I love Diamondback for the very reason you state. It's my #2 hyper behind Magnum.

Kingda Ka. I expected it to be the highlight of my Great Adventure trip but El Toro and to a lesser extent Nitro and Batman stole the show. Those three are far superior to Kingda Ka

This is not surprising. Kingda Ka is seriously one of the most overrated, disappointing coasters on the planet.

This is not surprising. Kingda Ka is seriously one of the most overrated, disappointing coasters on the planet.

This just goes to show the wide variety of opinion among enthusiasts. I LOVED Kingda Ka. My expectations were fairly low due to being underwhelmed by TTD, but it blows TTD out of the water and I have absolutely no idea why. Yes, it's shakier, and it has OTSRs, but it just felt way more out of control and thrilling (which is what I like) than TTD. It, El Toro, and Nitro all make a really solid top 3 at the park, and I like them all almost equally. Very interesting.

^I would say that TTD is much better. It is much smoother and you can actually get some airtime on TTD in the back of the train. Not to mention that I would rather have the view of a park and a lake than a parking lot. I have been to Great Adventure twice, and I have only ridden KK one time each visit (even with a Platinum Flashpass). I actually think that KK is my least favorite Intamin, and it is up there for one of my least favorite coasters over 200ft. NYNY is on the bottom, and second is a tossup between Goliath and KK. (Even Goliath is only because I dislike the layout, not because it is rough).

the sensation of speed sucks because i305 is in a grass field.

Agreed 100%. I think the coaster sailing over a flat weed filled field was the worst part. It makes this massive structure seem neglected.

^

I feel the same, though maybe not as strongly about Intimidator.

I think it comes down to how the trim brakes are used, because the layouts aren't all that different, and what I've gathered is that Intimidator usually trims a lot while Diamondback doesn't.

My vote is for Boulder Dash. The air just wasn't there like the best wooden coaster on Earth should have. I wasn't expecting ejector quite like El Toro has, but I barely got pops of floater air over most of the hills. Very disappointing...I drove four hours to Lake Compounce because I expected El Toro to get a legitimate competitor that day.