TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Disappointing Coaster!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 years later...

I'm going with two disappointments. Thunder Dolphin at LaQua looks like it should be great, but falls far short--enjoyable, but not memorable. While I enjoyed Wild Eagle at Dollywood, the other two B&M Wing coasters I've ridden, X Flight and Gatekeeper, simply weren't good. Gatekeeper, in particular, is another coaster that looks much better than it rides.

^^I'll have to go with MF as well as TTD. They're both great coasters (TTD is on my no 7) but in the case of MF I had been looking forward to riding it for such a long time that when I did it was definitely fun but not exactly what I expected (but close). With TTD it was because I thought I was going to enjoy it more than KK (as most people do) but I didn't. Sure it was smoother, with lap bars only and with not trim but I just enjoy KK as an experience more as I felt it was a bit more intense which somehow makes up for the rest.

Funny how I don't remember any other coasters that didn't quite meet my expectations (in many cases because I didn't have any)

The most disappointing coaster for me was Canyon Blaster at the Adventuredome. Sure, I didn't expect very much, but it looked beautiful and there were new trains. Plus, it was my first ever Arrow loopscrew coaster. What could possibly go wrong? The headbanging was horrible because of my short height, the inversions were not enjoyable, and if there's headbanging before the train reaches the first drop, there's obviously something wrong. Canyon Blaster was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

(Dis)honorable Mention

Silver Bullet - Fun, but not memorable.

Viper at Six Flags Great America was a slight letdown for me. Even though it's my 3rd favorite woodie and 9th overall, it's only that way because of the great floater air. Besides the airtime, there isn't too much action in terms of intensity and positive G's . While it's smoother than the average wooden coaster, it's not butter smooth like I'd heard.

I'd say Nitro was a pretty big disappoint when I rode it this last August. Everyone raves about the airtime, but I was in my seat for most of the time. It was still a good ride though, just overhyped. Will be coming back soon though and riding it in a different row, so hopefully it will be as good then, if not better, than how everyone says it is.

I'll put in a vote for X2.

I avidly followed X's announcement, construction and testing. Finally made it to the park in 2008 for the X2 facelift.

Maybe it was too much anticipation, perhaps it was a bad day, maybe I'm a weenie. I honestly thought the damn thing was going to break my back before we'd make it back to the station and I'd be carried off in a stretcher. No thank you.

^I like Nitro, but B&M coasters in general aren't known for ejector airtime (floaty airtime is a different story).

I think in term of floaty B&M airtime it's very good. At least it's consistent over the hills unlike some other rides where it's basically just 0 g rather than actual negatives.

The biggest disapointments for me where: Millenium Force and Bizarro(SFNE).

Both where voted best rollercoaster in the world and still get great comments from others in the fanboy worlds. But for me both of them are a let down what i would expect from rides like this. Both are great and awesome rides, it's just that i was hoping for something more i guess.

Well maybe riding I305 before riding those 2 was not the best choice, but a top ride will always kickass when compared to other coasters. Sometimes it's a tie...

and:

Millennium Force. After a lap on that thing, my whole life before that was a lie.

Dishonorable mentions: Trimming Bull, Fireball, California Sleepin', Hades360, Gatesleeper, Crystal Wing.

Yin you crack me up with those names...

For wood coasters, Wooden Warrior. I wasn't expecting it to be a top ten ride by any means, but based on the hype I thought it would be a noteworthy ride. Unfortunately, while it was a good ride I didn't think it was significantly better than other family wooden coasters and I probably wouldn't go out of my way to ride it again.

For steel coasters, Intimidator 305. All the hype about this ride made it sound like the best coaster in the country, but after riding I just didn't get it. Yes, it was a very good ride, but it wasn't even my favorite coaster in the park. Now, I did only ride during the opening season, so that may have something to do with it, but I just thought the ride was more of a B+ coaster than the A+ it was made out to be.

Probably Bizarro. Still a top 5 coaster for me, but my expectations were a lot higher. Whereas Millennium Force was exactly what I expected, maybe even better. Also Corkscrew at Cedar Point was very disappointing. I usually love Arrow coasters (Loch Ness Monster is one of my favorite rides ever), but Corkscrew was just too painful to enjoy

Edited by p-sychiatrist

I never rode anything that significantly disappointed me as I usually have pretty solid expectations prior to riding something, but If I had to pick something, I'd go with Bizarro at SFNE. I loved the layout of the coaster, but the restraints absolutely ruined any chance I could enjoy the ride. Every single time there was any airtime, my thighs would be screaming in pain. I'm currently losing some weight so hopefully my next rides won't be as bad, but I think my longer legs have me doomed.

I found The Beast at Kings Island to be the most disappointing for me. I think it was 2010 when I rode it, and this was after many years of build up and anticipation from a young age. Anyone remember R.L. Stynes "Goosbumps" series - that time he did an entire book based on the Beast? So yea.. I had high hopes. What a let down - It just seemed to meander along without the speed I'd envisioned and it was super rough (I think it was the heavy breaking during the first half that cemented my disappointment). Now that my expectations have been shattered, I think a re-ride in the future will prove more pleasurable.

the-beast.jpg.aee39f7f7343c4867c656146e7bf383f.jpg

Edited by nswain1110

I'd put in a vote for New Texas Giant. Now don't get me wrong. I still really like the ride and it does have some strong airtime. But this did not seem to be on the same level as El Toro and Balder as it was hyped up to be. I know it hadn't have warmed up when I rode, so I'm hoping that it'll be running better later in the day.

I'll join the club, X2.

Boy that ride was rough, not like head-banging rough ,but shaky rough and not in a good way! Except for the first drop and the raven turn , i felt this ride was extremely over rated. They should've called it: wanna be a ragdoll: the ride.

My wooden disappointment is the Beast. I had the roughest, most boring ride on it. I slammed my elbow on the train just before the second lift hill and it cut open a wound and started bleeding. Haven't ridden it again though I'd like to try again.

My steel disappointment was Kawasemi. This ride was the one that solidified that I prefer bigger and taller rides. There are so many coasters with better sustained airtime just due to the hills being larger. It was a shorter, lamer version of other great Intamin Mega Coasters, and doesn't even crack my top 30 or so. Spent a lot of time going to that park when I could have done more Tokyo culture or a better amusement park.

El Toro for me.

I rode it after riding Voyage. I was expecting a more out of control ride when we reach the spaghetti bowl. I did ride it 3 times in different places, but I did not get the feeling I get from Voyage.