TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Disappointing Coaster!

Formula Rossa.

Personally, I think this ride is excellent, but the hype killed it. The launch is epic, but the rest of the ride is anything but special. Just some forceless turns with sort of floater airtime hills in between is nothing to scream about. Still manages to be my 3rd best roller coaster, somehow.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it comes down to how the trim brakes are used, because the layouts aren't all that different, and what I've gathered is that Intimidator usually trims a lot while Diamondback doesn't.

That's why Intimidator at Carowinds is often known as Intrimidator

^... that's because you haven't ridden it. In reality, i305 was a bunch of bland, high g-forces (for whatever parts you don't black out). The transitions are great, but the fraction of a second you spending going over twisties at a stupid-fast speeds is not worth the time you spend greyed out during the (99% of) the rest of the layout.

I never will understand the appeal for wanting to be crushed into your seat, going through loooonnng turns and undynamic pacing. The coaster is bland because the forces are so constant, none of the forces are even comfortable, and the sensation of speed sucks because i305 is in a grass field. It blows my mind that people love this.

The airtime is too-few and ruined by the OTSR (which, I should mention, by the first airtime hill, have stapled you in to your seat no matter what, thanks to the high g-forces in the flat turn).

This is seriously the most accurate thing I have ever read in regards to i305... and I agree with every word of it, 100%.

I'll never understand why people rave about i305 the way they do... but to each their own! Then again, that's why parks build so many diverse attractions, so they can appeal to everyone. After all, it'd be pretty boring if we all had the same taste in coasters, so designers all built the same type of ride.

I'm going with "Team I305" on this topic.

It is not a bad coaster, and I did handle the forces very well during our summer (2016) and fall (2012) visits. But the speed, huge drop and the quick transitions in a grass field really left me wanting more..........(perhaps) variety? I prefer Millenium Force and Fury 325 over I305 for their better layout and nice scenery/interaction with the front gate. I also like big hills and overbanks way more.

Hades360/everything at Mt. Olympus. Hades and Cyclops both have amazing layouts (highly recommend backseat on Cyclops), but it was all ruined by poor maintenance. Zeus had a decent setting until all the trees surrounding it were destroyed for parking lot that is seemingly never used. The Hades-->H360 retracking/timberliner helped, but the park spent their turd polishing budget on hotels.

^

Interesting, I'm the other way around on those two rides. Diamondback is a top ten ride for me thanks to its fantastic floater air throughout. On the other hand, Intimidator might be weakest coaster I've ridden from B&M (it's either that or S:UF at Great America) as it crawls slowly over most of its airhills.

I feel the same, though maybe not as strongly about Intimidator.

I think it comes down to how the trim brakes are used, because the layouts aren't all that different, and what I've gathered is that Intimidator usually trims a lot while Diamondback doesn't.

My vote is for Boulder Dash. The air just wasn't there like the best wooden coaster on Earth should have. I wasn't expecting ejector quite like El Toro has, but I barely got pops of floater air over most of the hills. Very disappointing...I drove four hours to Lake Compounce because I expected El Toro to get a legitimate competitor that day.

I never been in BD or El Toro....but even I can tell El Toro is miles ahead of BD..... El Toro is full of massive steep drops and air time hills while BD is just swaying track.....i seen the POV and notice there is no real drops. Just those infamous shallow curved "drops" and we all know how i feel about those. Yea I dont get the appeal to those type of coasters.

^ "big" airtime hills do not always = great airtime. Some of the best airtime moments Ive experienced are smaller hills - i.e. El Toro's RT/crossover hill, the final (tiny) hill on Skyrush, the bunnyhops on Magnum or Phantom, etc.

Big does not always = better.

And you'll learn eventually you can't judge a ride by how it looks. You have to ride it and form your own opinions. I'm not saying Boulder Dash is better than Toro, I've never ridden BD but Ive heard some glowing reviews. Ive also thought "this ride looks (fill in the blank)" and then ridden it and had a totally different opinion of what I thought before I rode.

Also, all this I305 hatin' has got to go. Yall on crack today.

giphy.gif

^^Boulder Dash and El Toro are very different rides. El Toro has extreme ejector airtime, and it's very positive-g heavy, as well as being very smooth and tall. Boulder Dash is all about the location, and it's more of a "normal" wooden coaster, rather than a modern Intamin or RMC woodie. The laterals are really strong, and most of the airtime hills are also very different. Rather than being super over-the-top and needing tight restraints, Boulder Dash has the kind of airtime where you actually come out of your seat. I do prefer El Toro, but they're my two top coasters.

I have to agree that Intrimidator is the weakest hyper. I even prefer Steel Forceless (although generally speaking, I still rank them much higher than most coasters)

Boulder Dash used to be temperamental for me. My first visit or two after it opened, I don't remember getting any airtime. Now I am launched from my seat on every hill except the turnaround at the far end of the ride. Boulder Dash is my favorite wooden coaster because of how amazing that setting is combined with how well it sustains its speed. There isn't one airtime moment on that ride that stands out. Rather every hill gives equally as awesome airtime.

I took my very first ride on Superman the Ride (SFNE) in the front row in the morning, and I was quite underwhelmed. Luckily the ride warmed up and got a little faster during the day, and the back row is better, but I still think the ride is severely overrated.

I used to think Superman was quite overrated. But the more hypers I ride, the more Superman grows on me. I think it's just because of how much different the layout is than the others I've been on where it's one big airtime hill after another.

I305 ... actually I don't like the drop that much, which I don't get, it's one of the many pops of air but other than that it's just propulsion for the rest of the layout... which is breathlessly fast and intense. Is it the best? Yes and no and my enjoyment of it varies a lot. It's harder to fully enjoy but when you do, so good. It's amazing they built something that pushes your body so far. I think it's the coaster fantasy made real of a ride that eats through track with no respect for duration; like all fantasies it may not do it for you in reality. However, complaints about lack of airtime are absolutely impossible to take seriously, it would require ignoring objective fact.

Intimidator 305 is the only coaster I've ridden that still makes my palms sweat once the lift starts, even just a little bit. No matter your opinion on the ride as a whole (which for me it's near the top), that's worth something at least. The only ride that still brings that fear you had being 10 years old on a "big" coaster.

^... that's because you haven't ridden it. In reality, i305 was a bunch of bland, high g-forces (for whatever parts you don't black out). The transitions are great, but the fraction of a second you spending going over twisties at a stupid-fast speeds is not worth the time you spend greyed out during the (99% of) the rest of the layout.

I never will understand the appeal for wanting to be crushed into your seat, going through loooonnng turns and undynamic pacing. The coaster is bland because the forces are so constant, none of the forces are even comfortable, and the sensation of speed sucks because i305 is in a grass field. It blows my mind that people love this.

The airtime is too-few and ruined by the OTSR (which, I should mention, by the first airtime hill, have stapled you in to your seat no matter what, thanks to the high g-forces in the flat turn).

The drop felt too short. I believe this is another illusion created by perspective and sensation, but it really sucks that a ride so tall doesn't have a very intimidating drop. The airtime on the first drop is good, but feels too in-control and not wild like Mako's. .

This is seriously the most accurate thing I have ever read in regards to i305... and I agree with every word of it, 100%.

This. Right. Here.

12af5779b636d2b0e94e87b7ded6cec2.gif