TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Disappointing Coaster!

Wow! A Mystery Mine love fest broke out on TPR and I missed it? That's awful.

I have it in my top 10 with a track record right around 250 so I'm not missing out on this one. I absolutely love this ride and don't find it rough in any way, shape or form. The theming is great and the finale might be my favorite finale of any coaster. Tennessee Tornado is amazing too though, as is everything at Dollywood. I routinely sip the Dollywood Kool Aid.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! A Mystery Mine love fest broke out on TPR and I missed it? That's awful.

I have it in my top 10 with a track record right around 250 so I'm not missing out on this one. I absolutely love this ride and don't find it rough in any way, shape or form. The theming is great and the finale might be my favorite finale of any coaster. Tennessee Tornado is amazing too though, as is everything at Dollywood. I routinely sip the Dollywood Kool Aid.

Out of the 5 major coasters at Dollywood [ Mystery Mine, TN Tornado, Thunderhead, Wild Eagle, Firechaser] Mystery Mine happened to be my least favorite, I liked the theming, but it was rough, especially when you compare it to Daredevil Dive. Supringsly, my favorite ride was Firechaser Express

Mystery Mine is the epitome of a mixed bag for me. The theming and effects are amazing, as well as the first drop and final few elements. However, the middle section of this ride is just awful. This part contained no thrills whatsoever, but still managed to be almost as rough as an SLC. Strangely, the thrilling bits of this ride are perfectly smooth, so I do not know what happened here.

The theming is amazing, and the track layout has some truly amazing parts. It could have been one of my favorite rides if the middle section of track were anywhere near as good as the rest of the ride.

Coasters to me can be disappointing in many different ways. Sometimes overhyped by enthusiasts, sometimes by the parks, and sometimes by myself. I think out of the coasters below the only one I don't like is Rock'n'Roller Coaster. The others I like, but did disappoint me.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney Studios, Paris. I wish they had just copied the one from Florida. The outside looks horrible with a cheap billboard and ugly building, the theme inside is confusing and almost non existent, and the effects during the ride look like they have been borrowed from a nightclub. Oh and the music rarely works.

Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I always get the idea that this is one of the better regarded B&M hyper coasters but for me I preferred Shambhala, Silver Star, Nitro etc. It was a great coaster but didn't meet expectations.

Space Mountain at Walt Disney World. Maybe controversial? I just think it feels a bit outdated to me. It's quite a nice ride, but didn't feel like the E-Ticket I expected it to.

Millennium Force at Cedar Point. This was disappointing on my first ride, but it's sort of grown on me and I've come to accept it for what it is. It is an odd one to me because I never expected airtime, but something just seemed to be 'missing'. But the more I ride it the less disappointing it becomes.

Thirteen at Alton Towers. It's an OK family coaster but when it opened Merlin said it was so intense that you had to be over 18 years old to ride it as it was so scary and that they sold rubber underwear in case you soiled yourself. I know that parks exaggerate to make their rides sound better but why do it to the point people will come off disappointed? No wonder it was the lowest rated coaster in the park when they did their survey a few seasons ago.

However, the middle section of this ride is just awful. This part contained no thrills whatsoever

I don't know... that drop off the bridge is amazing. It comes out of nowhere... you're just riding along a flat piece of track and then OMFG! I love that surprise drop, it really catches you off guard the first time you ride it, especially in the second row.

^I gave a shout out to this section in the original post. (When I was talking about the 'first drop' that was what I was referring to). However, everything between that drop and the second lift seriously detracts from the ride. (Somehow both slow and rough)

Mystery Mine is my favorite ride at Dollywood. I agree that the section between the first drop and second lift isn't that great. It's not bad by any means, but it could be better (and with less headbanging). What makes the ride for me is the finale. Just that section beats out every other coaster in the park in my opinion.

Continuing the Dollywood trend, Thunderhead was not very enjoyable to me when I rode it in 2013. I remember the days when people were saying that it was one of the best wooden coasters and this and that, but boy it hasn't aged well...

Another would be Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge. Again, rode it in 2013 when it wasn't dueling, but even still the ride wasn't that impressive or that forceful. I prefer the Batman clones.

Finally, everyone hyped up the Raven at Holiday World to be one of the best 'terrain' wooden coasters around but I got off totally unimpressed and confused as to why everyone thought it was so good.

Moral of the story, don't let other enthusiasts shape/make your expectations for you.

• 1 year later...

I thought this was an interesting thread. I guess I got three hyped coasters that fall into this category for different reasons.

1. Kraken at Sea Orlando dont get my wrong this ride was a lot of fun!! However it banged me up a little that type of thing doesnt usually bother me but after got off i got a slight headache luckily it didnt last long. Also at some parts of the ride seemed sluggish. However I still thought the ride was fun.

2.The Beast I rode this long before I knew about its hype. but what i remember is wasnt drop dead breath taking amazing as many said it was. After the first drop I dont remember much of it other then a really intense helix/super shallow drop type element most of are far more coaster buffs then me....whats that element im talking about called?

3.Cornball at Indiana beach again I rode this long before I knew about its hype on here or anywhere for that matter. Matter of fact I rode it the same year I did Beast. Cornball was an ok ride and all. I didnt hate it seemed like ok fun. but not OMG THIS IS THE BOMB!!! fun like many here seem to think lol

If you dont mind me asking why I305? Its like a M-Force sized Maverick on steroids! I dream to ride this coaster! Im sure its loved because both M-force and Maverick are loved by a lot of coaster enthusiasts and this coaster kind of "combines" the two.

^... that's because you haven't ridden it. In reality, i305 was a bunch of bland, high g-forces (for whatever parts you don't black out). The transitions are great, but the fraction of a second you spending going over twisties at a stupid-fast speeds is not worth the time you spend greyed out during the (99% of) the rest of the layout.

I never will understand the appeal for wanting to be crushed into your seat, going through loooonnng turns and undynamic pacing. The coaster is bland because the forces are so constant, none of the forces are even comfortable, and the sensation of speed sucks because i305 is in a grass field. It blows my mind that people love this.

The airtime is too-few and ruined by the OTSR (which, I should mention, by the first airtime hill, have stapled you in to your seat no matter what, thanks to the high g-forces in the flat turn).

The drop felt too short. I believe this is another illusion created by perspective and sensation, but it really sucks that a ride so tall doesn't have a very intimidating drop. The airtime on the first drop is good, but feels too in-control and not wild like Mako's. .

Edited by RollerManic

Hmm I dont know I LOVE when coasters have super fast whipping transitions oppose to slower calmer ones just like I think ejector air is more then floater air.(nothing against floater air but i think ejector is better) Also I never fainted/blacked out on any ride. However I got really sick on carnie rides but never coasters. Come to think of it the only time I literally passed out was when i was sick and the doctor put giant cotton swabs up my nose.....lol. Also the fact I mostly take Dramamine before it go to carnival and amusement parks so my body wont get thrown off in anyway.

^... that's because you haven't ridden it. In reality, i305 was a bunch of bland, high g-forces (for whatever parts you don't black out). The transitions are great, but the fraction of a second you spending going over twisties at a stupid-fast speeds is not worth the time you spend greyed out during the (99% of) the rest of the layout.

I never will understand the appeal for wanting to be crushed into your seat, going through loooonnng turns and no dynamics of speed and acceleration. The coaster is bland because the forces are so constant, none of the forces are even comfortable, and the sensation of speed sucks because i305 is in a grass field. It blows my mind that people love this.

The airtime is too-few and ruined by the OTSR (which, I should mention, by the first airtime hill, have stapled you in to your seat no matter what, thanks to the high g-forces in the flat turn).

The drop felt too short. I believe this is another illusion created by perspective and sensation, but it really sucks that a ride so tall doesn't have a very intimidating drop. The airtime on the first drop is good, but feels too in-control and not wild like Mako's. .

This.

I never will understand the appeal for wanting to be crushed into your seat, going through loooonnng turns and undynamic pacing. The coaster is bland because the forces are so constant, none of the forces are even comfortable, and the sensation of speed sucks because i305 is in a grass field. It blows my mind that people love this.

This is seriously the most accurate thing I have ever read in regards to i305... and I agree with every word of it, 100%.

I'll never understand why people rave about i305 the way they do... but to each their own! Then again, that's why parks build so many diverse attractions, so they can appeal to everyone. After all, it'd be pretty boring if we all had the same taste in coasters, so designers all built the same type of ride.

The airtime on the first drop is good, but feels too in-control and not wild like Mako's. .
I actually like I305 for some of the reasons you don't, but I get that the ride isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea. However, I dare say that what I quoted from you is nothing short of blasphemy.

I like Mako, but I'm pretty sure that even in Bizarro world, Mako's first drop would not be considered wild in comparison to I305's. It's good, but I305's is probably the best first drop in all of coasterdom.