TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Disappointing Coaster!

I never rode anything that significantly disappointed me as I usually have pretty solid expectations prior to riding something, but If I had to pick something, I'd go with Bizarro at SFNE. I loved the layout of the coaster, but the restraints absolutely ruined any chance I could enjoy the ride.

^ This.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X (and X2). We rode it for the first time the year it opened and then again last year and both times I thought it was one of the most painful, terrible rides I've ever ridden. I ended up in the back row on the outside seat both times which some people have said is the problem but since you can't choose your seat I'm not planning on ever giving this piece of crap another chance.

I did ride it 3 times in different places, but I did not get the feeling I get from Voyage.

You mean the jackhammering, spine-shattering pain of PTCs on a Gravity Group coaster?

I wanted to add my thoughts on the Beast since that came up in the conversation. My first ride on Beast was one of the best coaster experiences I've ever had - nighttime, fog, and a slight drizzle makes for a great time. When we revisited the next day, my ex and I had enough time to ride either Beast or Diamondback before we had to be on the road to get to Holiday World. Based on the ride the night before, we chose Beast. Unfortunately, I'm now well aware of the stark difference between nighttime rides on Beast and daytime rides, and it diminished the coaster a bit for me.

Outlaw Run was a little overhyped and I didn't get the ride I was expecting.
Outlaw Run is one of the coasters I never expected to see in this tread. Having rode it countless times we have never not had an amazing ride. It is an amazingly solid coaster from start to finish. If anything I think Outlaw Run is underhyped. But that's just my opinion.

I feel like I'm going to be like you and be in the minority here because one of the most disappointing coasters I've ever been on was/is Kumba. I seriously don't get why enthusiast freak out for this coaster. Sure it's a decent ride, but in all the times I've ride the coaster I've never got off of the ride thinking "OMG! What an amazing ride." I always got off of the ride thinking "Eh, it was okay. But no desire to re-ride it today." Personally I prefer Wildfire at SDC to Kumba. But, again. That's just my opinion.

X (and X2). We rode it for the first time the year it opened and then again last year and both times I thought it was one of the most painful, terrible rides I've ever ridden. I ended up in the back row on the outside seat both times which some people have said is the problem but since you can't choose your seat I'm not planning on ever giving this piece of crap another chance.

Having assigned seating on X2 is outright cruel. I say if you're informed enough about a ride to avoid seats that will shake you within an inch of your life you should be allowed to pick. Leave the death rattle spots for those that don't do their research.

After all the parks around the world I've been to, through TPR Tours, I have to say the

Wooden Coaster that still rates as my all-time disappointment...was MAMMUT in Tripsdrill Park.

It was the coaster's first year during TPR's 2008 Europe Tour, and we had all been following

it's design, building, and eventual opening. Themeing hadn't been finished yet, but that was

fine with us. It wasn't the first and it certainly wasn't the last to open that way, lol.

So when I finally got to ride it - it just was 'meh' to me. Not much airtime. Pretty visually

predictable, even if you didn't ride it.

Several others felt that way too, at the time. I did ride it more than the once, but nothing

felt that different, including sitting in different rows, including the front and back.

Haven't quite figured out the steel one, just yet.

EDIT to add: I will admit, I am pretty sure that this coaster was probably designed as a

family one. But I know several of us put more "thrills" into the anticipation of riding it,

than how riding it ended up, for us. Life.

H_04Mammut_Tripsdrill.jpg.b8c0ea0d86521885712347d893f41824.jpg

Yeah. Well. There it is.

I can't really think of a very disappointing coaster, but the one that comes closest to it is La Vibora @ Six Flags Over Texas. It was my first bobsled coaster and I really wanted the feeling of it but in the end, the ride slammed my knees everywhere and I was shaking around like crazy in the MCBRs. Once I thought that it was going to be a normal coaster credit became one of the worst coasters I have ever ridden.

For me, SOB would be close to the top of the list for wood. I had really looked forward to riding it ever since it was built, and finally I had gotten a chance to go to KI and ride it (this was a couple of years before they closed it down). I figured that a woodie topping 200ft and having a loop surely would be awesome, but instead I ended up with a big headache and a sore neck that must have lasted close to an hour after riding. And not only that, the ride wasn't even enjoyable in the least (other than perhaps the first drop and the drop into the loop, and even those were unremarkable).

The Beast was also somewhat underwhelming, although it did perform better once darkness had fallen. I didn't hate it, it just wasn't quite the powerhouse and legend I had expected. Not only that, it was a bit too rough in some places to be highly re-rideable.

For steel, some that come to mind are the B&M Superman flyers - I think the first I rode was at SFOG. I never thought I'd like a Vekoma better than a B&M, but that is exactly the way I felt after having ridden S:UF at three different SF parks.

Also agree with those who mentioned Raging Bull - that was totally a let-down, not only because it lacked excitement, but also due to the fact that I waited nearly an hour to ride it and it was so not worth it.

Kumba was another recent let-down. I expected far more out of it considering its legendary status and legions of fans. But I came away from BGT liking Montu, Sheikra and even Cheetah Hunt a lot better. And when it comes to sit-down B&Ms (I include both floorless and non-floorless models here) I like Bizarro/Medusa at SF Great Adventure and even Dominator a lot better. I do think that Kumba is very photogenic and it makes the most of its location in the way the track follows the layout of the land and landscaping. But, that doesn't a great ride make. I just found it be overall average for a sit-down B&M, not horrible but not great either.

There are some other steel coasters that I could mention that IMO were ruined by bad restraints, but I won't mention those simply because bad restraints don't mean a ride can't or couldn't be good if the restraints were modified.

It may not be open yet, but I expect that thunderbird will end up falling into this category. Apart from the launch, it seems to be just an ordinary wing coaster that probably won't be super forceful or thrilling. I think everyone's gotten all caught up in the Holiday World hype for the ride and will probably feel rather meh once they ride it. I will admit that Holiday World has done a fantastic job with the marketing the ride.

It may not be open yet, but I expect that thunderbird will end up falling into this category. Apart from the launch, it seems to be just an ordinary wing coaster that probably won't be super forceful or thrilling. I think everyone's gotten all caught up in the Holiday World hype for the ride and will probably feel rather meh once they ride it. I will admit that Holiday World has done a fantastic job with the marketing the ride.

I see what you mean, I think there are many other great options if the $22 million price is correct. That said, we should wait until we ride to judge the ride.

As for mine, and I know I will get some backlash which I have previously explained in the park's thread, is Magnum at Cedar Point. From everything I read, I was expecting a top three ride in the park, and possibly at top 10 in the world. What I got was nothing close to that. Granted, I rode just after a storm with one train running, so I'm sure it wasn't running in top form and I'll certainly give it another chance towards the back, but the Magnum I rode wasn't even comparable to B&M's hypers.

That being said, I still respect the ride it's history and what it stand for, but I was disappointed with Magnum.

One of my favorite rides of all time is Silver Bullet at KBF, so I was surprised to see many people on here not crazy about it.

The ride I found super disappointing was Pony Express at KBF. The track was super short and made wait time not worth it, and for me, the restraint was very uncomfortable. The concept seems neat, just too short of a ride being my biggest let down (I even understand their are measures of safety that have to be in place to hold people in)

Tie between Maverick and Voyage.

Maverick: Holy crap was I excited for this ride when it opened, but boy was I let down! All this ride has managed to give me over the years is headaches from bashing into the restraints. I WANT to like this ride, but I just can't.

Voyage: I was shocked by how rough this ride was when I rode it in 2010. It has a great layout, but it was almost as rough as Son of Beast. I only had the chance to ride it once, but I'll give it another whirl this year at Holiwood Nights.

Definitely Outlaw Run last year! I thought it would be the best wooden coaster because of the hype about it. But it really felt sluggish. I like Iron Rattler, Texas Giant and Goliath at Great America much better.

Definitely Outlaw Run last year! I thought it would be the best wooden coaster because of the hype about it. But it really felt sluggish. I like Iron Rattler, Texas Giant and Goliath at Great America much better.

I haven't ridden Outlaw Run, but from various POV's, it seems this ride varies greatly between fast and "slow" rides--depending on the season, weather, temperature, etc. On "fast" rides, it seems to fly through the first overbank and screech all the way down the final brakes to the station. On "slow" rides, it seems to struggle through the end of the barrel rolls and slowly slides into the brakes. Perhaps if you catch it on a "fast" ride your opinion might change.

Very interesting. For me I think Iron Rattler is the more sluggish of all. Especially the part on top of the quarry wall. The only place Outlaw Run has ever felt the slightest bit sluggish is in the final barrel roll.

Maverick: Holy crap was I excited for this ride when it opened, but boy was I let down! All this ride has managed to give me over the years is headaches from bashing into the restraints. I WANT to like this ride, but I just can't.

Voyage: I was shocked by how rough this ride was when I rode it in 2010. It has a great layout, but it was almost as rough as Son of Beast. I only had the chance to ride it once, but I'll give it another whirl this year at Holiwood Nights.

I agree about Voyage, but never had an issue with the restraints on Maverick. However, Maverick is supposed to be getting the softer I305-type restraints this season.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. These are my two favorite coasters. However, I love intense all over the place rides. I didn't think Voyage was overly rough and I can marathon Maverick with no issue. To each his own.

I usually have realistic expectations for coasters and rarely get disappointed. The only coaster that left me me feeling disappointed recently was Goliath at SF Great America. It was probably due to having ridden Outlaw Run the following year and being blown away by how out of control it was. Goliath felt more like a steel looper rather than a wooden coaster. While it was still a great ride, I felt like it didn't live up to the hype.

Definitely Bizarro at SFNE. I don't think it would even make my top 20 steel coasters.

This ride is BARELY in my top 20 and it used to be #2. It's a great ride but it hasn't aged well and due to how well it ran in the past I think it's absolutely a bit overrated now. It's still a really good ride though which is why I haven't listed it... With that coaster I expect a great ride and get a really good ride... with X2 I expected a great ride and got a horribly shaky and painful piece of crap that I swore I would NEVER ride again... then 10 years later I did and it was even worse than I remembered. So that has Bizarro beat for me but I think your assessment of Bizarro is absolutely fair.