TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster books

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it's slightly outdated, I'd highly recommend David Bennett's "Roller Coaster" book. (Has a huge pic of Mantis on the front) It has tons of information on the history of roller coasters, some excellent clear and large photos of coasters: some photos take up 2 whole pages. (The book's about the size of a 9x12 photo) I actually obtained mine by borrowing it from the library a while back and accidentally 'lost' it. I never really lost it but I paid for it meaning, the book is now mine!

Here's a few

The Roller Coaster Lover's Companion by the late Steven Urbaniwicz. I have the first edition, with High Roller on the cover.

Roller Coasters: A Thrillseeker's Guide to the Ultimate Scream Machines. Despite having a TDM on the front cover, this book has lots of high quality color photographs and was written by Robert Coker (webmaster of www.thrillride.com)

there was this really good book that I always used to check out at the library. I dont remember the name but I remember it was all full page photos, like Davids book, and they were all black and white photos of coasters from the early 1800s to the 1940's. The book had many photos of the crystal beach cyclone and the Tornado Bobs!

I looked for it at the library but it was probaly sold at a book sale for 25 cents to a little kid who proabaly doesnt like coasters and is proabaly in the trash.

It might have been the Great American Amusement Park book. I used to check it out from the library all the time when I was a kid. I checked it out a few months ago to read it again since I am older now (I only really used to look at the pictures when I was younger). It was an interesting read.

Roller Coasters: A Thrillseeker's Guide to the Ultimate Scream Machines. Despite having a TDM on the front cover, this book has lots of high quality color photographs and was written by Robert Coker (webmaster of www.thrillride.com)

I just picked this up at waldenbooks for $13 the other day The NEW and Revised edition with great new pics of Kingda Ka,Hades and Sheikra and other new for 2005 coasters GREAT photos and reading....the perfect coffe table book.

JEFF

I have both David Bennett and Rob Cokers books. (both mentioned earlier in the thread).

Both are good reads, although I haven't looked at David Bennett's book in awhile as I got it quite a long time ago.

Actually I've got two copies of Rob's book. Got a second copy for Christmas. My family thinking they had come up with the best gift were surprised to find out that I already had a signed copy, and that I actually knew the author.

I also recommend Robert Corker's Roller Coasters: A Thrillseeker's Guide to the Ultimate Scream Machines. Beautiful pictures, well-written blips of ride summaries, and would probably be the best coaster book for enthusiasts out there that is easy to find. I got an old version though for Christmas back in 2004. As Jeff pointed above, its a great coffee table book.

Also, if you like pretty coaster pictures and a good book for the general public, I would recommend Roller Coasters by Mike Schafer and Scott Rutherford. Although dated, it has some good pics in there, the cover has a picture of Wild One at Six Flags America back when the train front said Wild World (which said picture would have to be 20 years old!

Better books would include:

That Werner Stengel book (extremely hard to find, but from what I hear is an excellent read).

Any Charlie Jacques Book (Kennywood, More Kennywood Memories, Hersheypark, etc)

Jim Futrell's Amusement Parks of ________ Series (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York)

The American Roller Coaster - Scott Rutherford

Also, Rob Coker is a hell of a guy but I am not a big fan of his book. It just seems incomplete and some of the photos aren't the quality that I look for in a coaster book.

I also recommend Robert Corker's Roller Coasters: A Thrillseeker's Guide to the Ultimate Scream Machines. Beautiful pictures, well-written blips of ride summaries, and would probably be the best coaster book for enthusiasts out there that is easy to find. I got an old version though for Christmas back in 2004. As Jeff pointed above, its a great coffee table book.

Also, if you like pretty coaster pictures and a good book for the general public, I would recommend Roller Coasters by Mike Schafer and Scott Rutherford. Although dated, it has some good pics in there, the cover has a picture of Wild One at Six Flags America back when the train front said Wild World (which said picture would have to be 20 years old!

OMG, those are the exact two roller coaster books that I own! Both are really great reads, and "Ultimate Scream Machines" is big and usually on the discount shelf at Barnes and Noble (I got for only $10!)

I have rollercoaster:a thrill seeker's guide to the ultimate scream machines, the older version, but I want to know about the new version. I was wondering if the new version has a lot of the same stuff or more new info. and pictures. Also is worth buying the new version if I already have the old.

Thanks