TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

King Of The World!

Some people say that when they feel proud that they have accomplished a big coaster that they feel that they are king of the world. What coaster did you go on that made you proud that you accomplished it? For example, you were scared of this ride for 5 years and then rode it and felt good about it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sea Serpent (a boomerang) at Morey's Piers last summer. I was afraid of going on a coaster with inversions other than just a loop, but I figured I would try it because it was only a 2 train wait (no time to reconsider or be nervous thinking about it). It was rough, but I liked it and then trying the Great Nor'Easter the same day (SLC), didn't seem that scary because of it.

Raging Bull at Six Flags Great America, took me ALL day to build up the courage to go on it, and cause my dad wouldn't go on it, I had to queue alone. I was so scared by the time i was on it, that during the ride and ages after i got off, i had that "king of the world" feelng.

Wild Thing at Valleyfair! - it was my first big coaster. I was terrified. Even better, it was before they performed the ritual slamming of the MCBR every lap.

Also, not a coaster, but RipCord at Worlds of Fun. When I was younger, we would pass VF!'s RipCord and my mom would say "If you ever ride one of those, you will need to get a new mother." Naturally, I wanted to ride more than ever after that, but I always got really freaked out and backed off. Finally, last June, I built up the courage and signed up. It was well worth it. I'm hooked.

Here's mine!

"How I Learned to Love Roller Coasters and Stopped Worrying About the Beast"

By Barry Hom

The TV news show "Inside Edition" reported that your chances of getting into a fatal roller coaster accident are 1 in 10 million. Yet, every time I thought about riding one, I thought that I would die.

I used to avoid riding roller coasters. I chickened out on Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom. I avoided Busch Gardens Tampa for years. If I didn't ride the roller coasters, I didn’t think I could do much else at that theme park. I did ride Big Thunder Mountain at the Magic Kingdom and I was terrified. I swore to never do it again!

That all changed when I visited Islands of Adventure in May 1999. I initially planned to avoid riding the roller coasters. My main draw to the park was one ride – The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. I passed by the Incredible Hulk Coaster many times thinking, "I'll save it for later." Finally, I decided to ride it.

I almost ran away from the entrance, but I thought of what my mom said when I wouldn't eat lima beans -- "How do you know if you don't like it if you haven't tried it?" I never ate my lima beans and I still haven’t put them in my mouth, but I figured I'd ride the roller coaster once and if I didn't like it, I'd ride something else. There are plenty of other things to do at the park!

I entered the queue and I felt my heart pounding, my skin crawling, and my breath becoming shorter. Finally, I entered the coaster and was strapped in. I felt more scared than any other time in my life. It was scarier than my first date! As the car rolled into the launch tube, I want to cry. Then guests seated in the back of the coaster started yelling, "Whoo!" I began to yell "Whoo!" too. Suddenly, my fear turned into excitement and I was launched out!

I yelled "Whoo!" so much that my voice was harsh after the ride. I don't remember much of what the track looked like because I kept my eyes closed (especially during the upside-down parts), but I was having so much fun that I didn’t really care. At the end of the ride, I said, "What a rush!" At that moment, a roller coaster enthusiast was born!

I had planned to ride the Hulk Coaster zero times, but I ended up riding it seven times. I finally conquered the Magic Kingdom’s Space Mountain. I visited Busch Gardens Tampa a few months after visiting Islands of Adventure and enjoyed the coasters there. I’ve visited Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio – the roller coaster mecca – several times as well as many other roller coaster parks around the United States. I’ve joined the American Coaster Enthusiasts and I’m a current member of the Florida Coaster Club. Even though I’ve ridden the tallest and fastest coaster in the world (at the time when it opened in 2003) – Cedar Point’s Top Thrill Dragster – as my 100th coaster, I haven’t found a roller coaster that gave me a rush like my first ride on the Incredible Hulk Coaster, but I find joy in each and every one that I ride.

Perhaps one day I will have the courage to eat lima beans.

Wow this brings back memories. "Space Shuttle" a boomerang clone located at Enchanted Kingdom in the Phillipines. I wouldnt ride that thing for the life of me until I found out I was moving state side, so I rode everything b/c I knew I probably wasnt going to see it all for a while.