TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I don't get it...

Why does Americans complain about their coasters, and think Europe has better ones?

It's like that for every good coaster Europe has, America has like 10 more, and most of the are bigger and look better.

Europe has:

-Katun,

-Nemesis,

-Nemesis Inferno

-soon Black Mamba

-Batman la Fuga

America has:

-Alpengeist

-Batman the Rides

-Dueling Dragons

-Great Bear

-Montu

-Patriot

-Silver Bullet

-Talon

-Top Gun

-Top Gun: The Jet Coaster

Europe has:

-Superman la Attraccion de Acero

-Dæmonen

America has:

-Batman The Dark Knight

-Dominator

-Hydra

-Medusa West & East

-Superman Krypton Coaster

Europe has:

-Silver Star

America has:

-Nitro

-Apollo's Chariot

-Goliath

-Raging Bull

Europe has:

-Expedition GeForce

-Goliath

America has:

-Millennium Force

-THREE Superman Ride of Steels

Europe has:

-Rita

-Stealth

-Kanonen

-SpeedMonster

America has:

-Kingda Ka

-Top Thrill Dragster

-Storm Runner

-Xcelerator

and our Oblivion to your SheiKra!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

^That's true...

One of my theories is that Americans know, and has heard and seen so much about their coasters, that they can no longer see how great they really look! Take Dueling Dragons for example, think about it; a dueling B&M invert! How unique is that

While Europe may have less coasters overall I usually have a better time at parks over there.

For example, Ride of Steel is a great ride but i'd rather be at say Parc Asterix instead of Six Flags America.

I'd also agree with the "grass is greener" argument too.

-Don

oh, dont count Hydra as a good ride!

I'm going off topic here, but I still don't get the Hydra headbanging thing. If I catch it for a bad ride, I get very minimal headbanging. I don't find it to be that great of a ride, but that is just because I find it boring.

But yeah, European coasters are so tempting because it will be so hard for a lot of us to make it over there. It is like the forbidden fruit... the blinking red button that says "Don't touch"... the hot secretary... I'll stop now.

I don't agree with that at all.

America has some of the best rides on Earth, so does Europe. Just because the US has more, doesn't make them better!

Your example of Dueling Dragons is perfect, there's pretty much nothing in the world that can compete with that, and I don't think I would say otherwise. The coasters themselves might be beaten by other inverts but it's a whole experience.

In fact looking back at your comparisons pretty much proves the point that Quality beats Quantity!!!!

It's simple. Americans are just too greedy overall. Sure, deep down, most American enthusiasts realize we've got good stuff, but we naturally are never content with what we got.

Also, I always find it amazing how many folks are quick to slam TTD and KK (usually calling them one-trick ponies, etc.), but yet, if those two were in Europe, most of those same people wood be so jealous and wishing they could get just one ride on them.

Scott "maybe we're all just too critical" B.

Also, I always find it amazing how many folks are quick to slam TTD and KK (usually calling them one-trick ponies, etc.), but yet, if those two were in Europe, most of those same people wood be so jealous and wishing they could get just one ride on them.

I completely agree with that! People say Oblivion has such a great drop (and it really does too), but the drops on TTD and KK are totally extreme, and some still say those two are lame..

I didn't run out to get on KK, and I wouldn't have had it been in Europe. Heck, I could have ridden Stealth at Thorpe on two different occaisions and I didn't even bother! I don't think that ride is going to be any better than any of our rocket coasters!

BTW, when did wanting good stuff become 'greedy'?!!??

Maybe we just want quality? Or in my case, having ridden almost 800 coasters I can recognize what's good and what's not?

^ I think that's the key, Elissa. I was basically speaking from the point of view of the average Joe who doesn't get to travel the world like you and Robb. Don't take that wrong, I don't begrudge you anything, I was saying that if TTD or KK were in Europe, most Americans wouldn't have the chance to ride. Kinda like what Hercules said about the "forbidden fruit" deal....you always want what you can't have.

Another good examlpe is that Americans has always been saying how much they want a ride like Balder. Now they get El Toro, and I hear a lot of "theyr'e going to screw it" and "that is just like Colossos, why not something original". Most of the thought on El Toro are good though...

And America has plenty of quality! To mention just a few (judging from pictures, peoples opinions and personal experiences: SheiKra, Medusa west, Top Gun: The Jet Coaster, SROS at SFNE, MF, Kumba and many more. But I do agree that Europe has plenty of quality too.

Europe and America are overall both equally good with themeing IMO, but nodic coasters completely lack themeing! (like Balder, Kanonen, SpeedMonster, Tornado, Dæmonen, Thundercoaster... almost no themeing at all )

This is a completely stupid thread. There are a lot of great coasters out there all over the world - America, Japan, Europe, Australia.

If all you're going to do is complain about Americans complaning, I'm going to close this thread.

Sure there is plenty to complain about when it comes to America, but the same could be said for anywhere in the world.

And you starting a thread complaining about why Americans complain makes you no better than the next person.

--Robb

Sure there is plenty to complain about when it comes to America, but the same could be said for anywhere in the world.

That is true. I complain too. Anyway if you want to close this thread, it's ok. I've already made my point and it seems like many people see what I'm seeing .

I think this goes for everyone. No matter where people are, they are always saying that everyone else gets better coasters. I can understand ncf's frustration. Like him, I also have to travel hundreds of miles to ride a rollercoaster, and listening to people complaining can be extremely annoying sometimes. But I dont think that Americans are much worse than others...

In fact looking back at your comparisons pretty much proves the point that Quality beats Quantity!!!!

Good point Elissa, I would much prefer to have less high quality coaster than a mass of average coasters!

If americans are complaing about their parks, they should come to England, because in England you either have a Theme Park fan or people who hate Theme parks so much they will stop them wanting to build anything!

I dont know, but when I was on it, it was about 2 months into the season. It was VERY rough for a B&M. I don't think that it lived up to all of the hype that it got. I would replace that with Medusa at SFGA, or SFMW, but i haven't been to the one at SFMW.

Yeah, I have to second Worm on this, what are you talking about? There is no personal reference to any coasters, can you just clear that up so I can get your point?

I think there was another post earlier on this topic and I will amend that comment. I believe we ALL should be grateful for the rides put in the parks....its what makes us all come back of course, but to each of his own, we ALL have a certain way of how we "grade" coasters versus the next person...its in our nature, our genetic code..lol

I think the fact that Europe, Asia AND the USA...has a great selection of coasters makes us all want to explore other countries, just as we did in the 60s and 70's when we went to the moon...we are explorers...so?...hop onto a plane and visit the other country and appreciate what we have....

One observation or trend that I will pose here is.....the market is changing...times are changing...(aka Disney/6Flags)....Europe and Asia will become the forefront in building rollcoasters and will take over records from the US (height/speed/length) within the next 5-10 yrs....how so?...well, look at countries like Japan, China, Germany, and other countries in South America.

Developers are discovering the success US parks had with these thrill attractions and now, other countries are picking up on that success formula and molding that same model as Disney pioneered in the 50's. In fact, I truly believe that:

1. Kingda Ka record will be broken (not in US) in Europe within the next 3-4 yrs...

2. CP will loose is record for having most rides/coasters (tied with MM?)...and a European park will just explode in terms of future projects...

3. With current issues regarding Disney and 6Flags...(and these damn insurance issues of people suing parks and so on), it will take at least 3+ yrs for these mega companies to "reinvent" itself and look for new opportunities to become profitable and viable within the industry...(I can still imagine how Walt himself is turning over in his grave now how hard times have set on his vision)....even Mark Shapiro (6flags) himself stated: "You wont be seeing anymore 'GOLIATHS' being built (anytime soon?).

The business model for 6Flags and Disney landscape is changing right before our eyes...recall back when CP built the Magnum...(Ron Toomer was surprised at how technology and the market re-engergized the coaster wars and new era for height/speed). The markets now are being saturated with these MEga-rides....Europe/Asia is just picking up on that trend and will be the next wave for development, while the US will go through a "re-engineering" stage of adding family-type attractions until that next new thrill ride debut (eg-"X").

Lets appreciate that the global-wide industry is experiencing a new generation of thrills....and I can bet my bottom dollar...that technology and materials-engineering has only "scratched-the-surface" in future thrill-rides/coasters.

So...stay tuned, because we will all experience a new Renaissance in the future.

If you look at Robb's and Elissa's lists you'll notice there are more American coasters than foreign coasters in their top ten anyway.

Robb Steel: America, 6 to 4

Robb Wood: America, 8 to 4

Elissa Steel: America, 8 to 1

Elissa Wood: Europe, 5 to 4

Still, I think this is a topic worth discussing. There is an attitude in these parts that "OMG, my experience pwns yours". That some people's opinions are more equal than others as evidenced by ride count. So the more traveled people get the most credibility. Generalizations can be made on which coasters rock and which coasters suck (and where the rockin'est coasters tend to be located). So people lose perspective. There are fun, unique coasters everywhere. In fact, that's why people build these things in the first place -- to entertain. Fun rides get blasted because they're not as fun as other rides. When really, how many truly horrible rides are there out there? Not that many. There's an assumption that if everybody had the same amount of experience as ______, then they would have similar opinions to _______. Hell, has anybody here ever heard of the word "taste"? Milliage will vary.

...I think I'm going off on a tangent. Sorry.

Anyway, wanting to close this because it's commenting on complaining? Christ, didn't these forums used to be nice and laid back? Since when do we have to start clamping down on every little topic, calling it pointless or redundant, sucking all the fun out of this place? It's a frickin' message board. It's all about discussion. If people take objection to the stance of the OP, let 'em discuss it out. Make good points on each side. That's what message boards are for. Clamping down on this thread would just be silly. Lighten up.

^Thank you! I believe he wanted to close this because I don't think he likes me, due to a comment I made recently that actually was a misunderstanding, that I apologized for too.

"-And you starting a thread complaining about why Americans complain makes you no better than the next person." Talk about twistind it against me. I thought we were done with the arguing