TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nara Dreamland closing

Just posted on RRC.

From Japan:

Today we received information from Nara Dreamland by mail.

Unfortunately, they

have decided to close that park at August 31, 2006. We don't know

whether they sell

or scrap Aska and other coaster

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this'll come as any surprise to anyone who watched Robb's video.

It looked like they were in the process if dismantling the place back THEN!

I say they should all just run away and leave it. Then it'll become a ghost park and be more celebrated in its death than it was during its life.

Let me put on my shocked face...oh wait...NOT SURPRISED!!!

Seriously, if they save Aska this is NO LOSS to the coaster community at all. And realistically, Aska is a Viper (SFGAm) clone so we can still go ride it!

Yes it's sad when a park closes or when coasters get scrapped, but face it, the park was not a nice one.

Ok, I just had another thought...

I realize that some people are probaby bummed and would want to go out for this park.

**THIS WOULD NOT BE AN OFFICIAL TPR TRIP**

but....

I would be willing to take about 10-15 people over. I could arrange transportation, hotels, park admissions, and you would be responsible for everything else. We would go together to probably 5 or 6 parks. This would be more like a 'meet' than a 'tour'. Rest assured that a FULL TPR Japan Trip is in the works, but I might be able to put together a mini one before Nara Dreamland closes. It would be a quick 5 days plus travel days. Nothing is finalized or set. If you are interested please email me: emeridithw2@aol.com ASAP and I'll see about putting something together for August.

This also will only happen if I get confirmation that Nara is infact closing.

When we were there last September, the rumor was they would be open 2 more years. I was kind of hoping that they would stay open at least until the TPR Japan trip. Hopefully Aska will be saved and moved to another park.

DSCN0833.JPG.c826db14c3c1d4b2f67e03fc5a7965ce.JPG

This coaster is so good, you will loose your clothes!

Elissa OMG don't you have enough to do lately, girl????

(The Above is for those of you who take Elissa up on this generous 'Quickie Trip' she is offering there. I myself, shall wait until next year's... )

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

(EDIT: I was so shocked at what Ms.E went and did - my spellcheck went KAPUT in my head....)

^Yeah, I'm really lusting for punishment!!!

I'm having enough nightmares about the UK trip!!!

Seriously, this is not a sure thing at all. I'd much rather do the two TPR Japan trips, and do them right. This would just be a quick trip over to hit Nara, Disney, and some other parks for people desperate for the credits! (I don't think we'll get enough to make it happen!)

I'd much rather do the two TPR Japan trips, and do them right.

Two TPR Japan....trips?

(EDIT: Methinks you are starting to let the proverbial kitty out of it's paper container, hmmm?)

Edited by Nrthwnd

I started recieving e-mails about this a few days ago.

Aska has been up for sale for about 18 months. In related news, White Cyclone (Nagashima Spaland) was listed for sale about the same time. I don't know what's going on with WC. This puts it in line with that two year period mentioned up there^.

I really enjoyed Aska, but I don't think that it will be saved, unless it leaves Japan. That's just my opinion, though. WC was pretty boring, especially considering how huge it is. It was my #400, though.

Yup, always sad to lose coasters and all that, but Nara Dreamland is no big loss, except for the weirdness factor. I would not be surprised if WC's listing was to test the waters. If it goes, there will only be 4 woodies in Japan, and that's the real story here.

• 1 month later...

just bumping this thread a bit...

Does anyone know (since this happens sometimes) if Dreamland is possibly staying open thru September? That's when I'll be headed over to the TDR for DisneySea's 5th anniversery kickoff.

I would LOVE to Nara Dreamland.... but it sucks if I'll miss it by only two weeks!

I can't wait for the Japan trips to be announced... Disney Sea is like my mecca in which I must go see before I die.

Too bad to hear about this park. Perhaps a new owner will take over rather than risk moving/selling Aska.

Sean ::saving up funds as we speak for 07:: Costa

• 2 months later...

Aska look so much better then Viper at SFGAm. Mainly because it doesn't have a trim half way down the drop! But viper does give some ejector when you sit in the back of the 6-seater cars. I don't know whats better...

-more speed with 4 seaters.

-or slower but with 6 seaters.

It still will be sad though.

Aska look so much better then Viper at SFGAm. Mainly because it doesn't have a trim half way down the drop! But viper does give some ejector when you sit in the back of the 6-seater cars. I don't know whats better...

-more speed with 4 seaters.

-or slower but with 6 seaters.

It still will be sad though.

Having been on both I would say there was very little difference "felt" between the two rides.

In fact, I think my exact comment after my first Aska ride was "Wow, cool, we just rode Viper!"

Seriously, as much as it would suck to lose Aska because it IS a good coaster, but being that it's yet another Cyclone clone, it would be like losing a Batman: The Ride.

In fact, has anyone really mentioned that technically we HAVE lost a Batman: The Ride? Nope.

I'd be far more bummed if we lost Viper because that ride is accessible to more people to enjoy.

--Robb

Forget losing Aska, we're going to lose those awsome stairs that went literally nowhere! Seriously, where else can you find something so random like that? This is one of the few things that made me laugh so much just by mentioning them and has a place in TPR history. The stairway to nowhere, you will be deeply missed.

Honestly, you guys are both right! What IS a bigger loss than Aska is the rest of the park. One of those "It's so crap it's COOL" places. I'd much rather have that then yet another Cyclone clone!

--Robb "Seriously the entire park experience outweighs a 60 second coaster ride, IMO." Alvey