TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure NJ or Cedar Point

AussieDane

Hey Everyone,

I'll be in the States this September and want to go to either of these two parks. They both have some awesome coasters.. and I only have time for one park unfortunately.

Also I know Cedar Point has on site hotels does anybody know of good hotels near Six Flags Great Adventure?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anybody know of good hotels near Six Flags Great Adventure?

I have to gloat as I'll be going to both this year, as well as PKD, GLake and HersheyPark. I coming from the UK on a tight budget with my nephews. I've been searching for motels near SFGAdv for the last couple of weeks. The closest budget motel I found was 13.5 miles away in Mt Laurel and another handful at 16 miles. If you're on a budget try these websites, I found them very helpful:

http://affiliate.roadtraveler.com/RoadTraveler/control/home

http://www.motel6.com

Our TPR comrads in the USA may have an opinion on these motels.

Roll on August!!!!!!!!!!

I too say Great Adventure. Fewer coasters, yes, but of better overall quality. Just as many mediocre flats and I'd imagine the park has gotten even better this year (and I liked it more than Cedar Point before the new guys came in).

Hotels are icky though - like Elissa said, there aren't many too close to the park.

Notice how the Cedar Point vote got no text support

Cedar Point - with text back-up

Although SFGAdv is my home park I thoroughly enjoyed my four trips to Cedar Point. I love the convenince of staying on site at The Breakers, and there are plenty of cheaper options close by. I love the atmosphere of the park and the attitudes of the clientele. The workers and friendly and the park is clean. Things SFGAdv promises to achieve but hasn't delivered consistently yet

Although the flats at CP are not great I find them more enjoyable than SFGAdv. My favorites being MaxAir, Power Tower and the new Skyhawk are three flats that will be better than any at SFGAdv.

I love the food options at CP.

However, all this goes out the window because of El Toro - if El Toro lives up the hype that will be the way to go.

Cedar Point - with text back-up

Although SFGAdv is my home park I thoroughly enjoyed my four trips to Cedar Point. I love the convenince of staying on site at The Breakers, and there are plenty of cheaper options close by. I love the atmosphere of the park and the attitudes of the clientele. The workers and friendly and the park is clean. Things SFGAdv promises to achieve but hasn't delivered consistently yet

Although the flats at CP are not great I find them more enjoyable than SFGAdv. My favorites being MaxAir, Power Tower and the new Skyhawk are three flats that will be better than any at SFGAdv.

I love the food options at CP.

Ouch!! and from a NJ guy!

I choose SFGAd because its dual track coasters are a lot lore fun than CP's Gemini. The ride ops were having fun on the Chiller, with the count down from 10, launching at five, thought the Batman side isn't open yet, it's still fun. Rolling Thunder isn't open either, but it is fun with different tracks, you can't always see the other train, but you know it's never far.

Just my opinion.

^I have to disagree that SFGAdv dual coasters are more fun.

1 - Gemini is one of the most fun rides. It might not be the most thrilling but everyone comes off smiling.

2- Chiller: over the past three years how many days have both sides been run. I don't know the exact answer but "rarely" comes to mind

3 - Rolling Thunder has given a good ride in 10 years and again rare to both sides run and they never race.

SFGAdv dual coasters might have more potential, but they are not more fun than CFs one dual coaster

The closest budget motel I found was 13.5 miles away in Mt Laurel
First off Mt.Laurel is about 35 miles from the park. Clean maybe, close No.

The addition of El Toro gives Sfgadv a complete coaster collection now. Plus, with the added head chopper on Rolling thunder that should be a really fun first drop.

CP does have an edge with Flats and on-site Hotel.

Both Have water parks.

Other than that, I guess it's what kind of coaster it is you really want to ride ?

I really want to go on Kingda Ka, and superman ultimate flight.

One- Kingda Ka is the fastest and tallest ride and two we do not have a flying coaster yet in Australia and 3 - el toro.

I've only been on one wood and that was Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa.

plus most people seem to agree that six flags would be the better option.

Has anyone been on Kingda Ka???

I would choose SFGADv with the addition of El Toro. If you want to stay at close motel, Seaside Heights, NJ my friend is your best bet. It is only about 15 minutes away and you can see KK's tower from the bridge in Seaside so you'll feel like your right next to the park.

BTW, xxhershey181xx, why is avatar so huge??

I just think with everything i've read, I hope Kingda Ka is operating and then hopefully it won't be closed considering I'll be there in September, is that not the end of the season??

But the footage looks unbelievable - the accelaration and the airtime would be awesome.

Coasterguy618 - Are you saying any motel in seaside heights would be good? or would I stay with your mate in New Jersey?

By the way thanks to everyone for your help.

I think the Days Inn in Freehold is the closest motel to the park. However, I remember trying to help someone else out last year and the Ramada Inn in Tom's Rivers was the cheapest close hotel that got three stars (a little better quality than a two star hotel). They also offer discount tickets to SFGAdv which is about 25 minutes away.

For the record, Seaside Heights is more than 15 minutes from SFGAdv and the rooms there are not cheap during the summer.

^I have to disagree that SFGAdv dual coasters are more fun.

1 - Gemini is one of the most fun rides. It might not be the most thrilling but everyone comes off smiling.

2- Chiller: over the past three years how many days have both sides been run. I don't know the exact answer but "rarely" comes to mind

3 - Rolling Thunder has given a good ride in 10 years and again rare to both sides run and they never race.

SFGAdv dual coasters might have more potential, but they are not more fun than CFs one dual coaster

Ah, well, they all have their ups and downs

But you do make a good point.

They've actually been a LOT better with getting the rides open. Shapiro's been on their ass and visits frequently, and Ron Sevart (The new GM at Gadv) doesn't want things like that ruining the experience. He's actually planning to have more ride ops in the stations then there are now to improve the flow through rates on the coasters, and have all available trains running. Arriving at the park and a lot of rides simply not being open is much, much less of a concern.