TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Evolution at SFGAdv / Xcalibur at SFSL

SFGAdv is my home park, so I certainly remember the 25 new rides in '99 (about 12 or 13 of which are now gone), and the ride that opened the least was Evolution. I saw it open ONCE in its (I think) four years at the park, and I was too scared to ride it because I was 10 or 11. I understand it actually runs now at SFSL.

I'm wondering...

So what IS this ride? Who made it? Is it fun? Does anyone know why it never ran at SFGAdv?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't find the thread here where it was discussed before I found it on The Flat Joint. As a piece of advice, if anybody's got a flat ride question, try this site, it's not mine but it's still good.

Your answer is here:

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/busevolution.html

The home page is here:

http://www.flatrides.com/index.html

It's a Nauta-Bussink (Now Ronald Bussink) Imperator. I think it's listed in the World Guinness Book of Records as the largest amusement ride. Here's an onride video:

http://www.kermismovies.be/new/?a=view&b=346

I also have another off-ride video that's on a CD somehwere. Once I find that CD with the ride clip, I will upload that into the video gallery.

www.giantrides.com is the company website that builds the Imperator.

Xcalibur is a really forceful ride...smooth and slow but forceful. Imagine being on a Spin Out ride that pins you down to your seat/cusion but being on the outside where you can see everything around you. The best part is definetely when your at the very top looking straight down and it's awesome because it comes within a few feet above the queue line. Nice breeze on a hot day I must say.

I'm gonna have to go against everyone here...

I hate spinny rides, but I actually found this one pretty tame and fun! I also got on this ride on probably 4 separate occaisions! Now, the stupid Huss Jump, that's another story! (Never even saw that thing test!!!)

It seemed to go pretty slow at SFGAd, so I wonder how much they 'toned it down' at SFStL. Bling at Blackpool kind of reminds me of Evolution.

One final thing, haven't they actually gotten ride of about 20 out of 25 of the 'war on lines' flat rides?

haven't they actually gotten ride of about 20 out of 25 of the 'war on lines' flat rides?

More than half of those 25 rides were kiddie rides in Looney Tunes Seaport, and they're all still in place.

The Missing Rides:

Evolution- Now at SFStl

Pendulum- Now at SFGAm

Jump- Now in the boneyard

Inverter- Now in the boneyard

Pirate's Flight- Moved to SFWoA

Chaos- Now in the boneyard

Spinnaker- Gone (without a trace)

Rodeo Stampede- Moved to SFOT

The rest of the 25 were Medusa, Jolly Roger, Twister, Houdini's Great Escape, and the kiddie rides.

My understanding of the problems with Evolution involved the operator control panel needing to be majorly re-worked. Supposedly it was more or less completely operated manually, and very complicated. The State of New Jersey has very tight regulations on making ride modifications, and changing the panel and getting approval from the State would have been very costly and difficult. Moving it to Missouri gave them a way to make changes and not have to deal with nearly as much red tape.

I have pictures and info on almost all the flats at SFGAdv on my site

You can see pictures of the rides in the boneyard over on Flyin' Phil's Site

That really is too bad Jump is just sitting in a boneyard. If I understand correctly, it's the only one outside of the European fair circuit. GADV probably would have run it tamely... but I've spoken to people who've been to fairs in germany and the ride can be quite intense.

Too bad they didn't stick it in the Plaza Del Carnival section of the park, it was nice and colorful, would have fit in nicely.

Time to write a nice letter.

^ When Jump rain, it was CRAZY. Back around '00-'01, all the flats were run extremely well! Cows (Rodeo Stampede) and Jump (when it worked) were pretty much the most intense rides at the park.

Hopefully after El Toro they'll start putting in some new flats. I'd kill for a Top Scan.

^ When Jump rain, it was CRAZY. Back around '00-'01, all the flats were run extremely well! Cows (Rodeo Stampede) and Jump (when it worked) were pretty much the most intense rides at the park.

Hopefully after El Toro they'll start putting in some new flats. I'd kill for a Top Scan.

I wish I would have had one of these "Insane" Jump rides... the cows, I did get the chance, several times to get good rides on...

Evolution was something I always skipped at GADv, the difference now in StL is that it doesnt stop at the top, like GADv had it do. It would stop at the top and continue spinning and slowly stop spinning, then restart and swing back down, in StL it doesnt stop at the top, and just makes one full rotation around.

I would kill for a Top Scan as well, or a Shake, or maybe even my beloved Frisbee!

Rob

Top Scan...oh man. The one in my home park, Adventureland Long Island, will leave a bad taste in my mouth forever about Top Scans. I don't know how it happend but it was a freak accident over the summer where someone was thrown from the Top Scan into the parking lot to their death. It was replaced this year with a Huss Frisbee.

Yea, and as usual this year, Six Flags has removed two more flat rides, Taz Twister and Rodeo Stampede (but apparently we are gettin ONE new one, a Rockin' Tug).

I hope '07 is a flat ride year. Like what SFOT got this year.

I actually did ride the Jump once, and saw it run on several other occasions. I remember in '99, they hadn't even made a true queue for it, they just roped off some space next to the arcade. I remember it was a pretty fun ride, but at one point my head just SLAMMED into the restraint forcefully. After that, I was done with that ride.

Ive ridden Xcalibur many times, and I must say it is very enjoyable. It doesnt make you sick (even though spinning rides dont mske me sick) and it is definitely worth it. I think it is a very good ride to be at SFStL, as we dont have many flats.

^YAY!

^The best part!

It doesnt make you sick (even though spinning rides dont mske me sick) and it is definitely worth it.

Spinny rides make me sick all the time, but I was convinced to try out Evolution. BIG MISTAKE! I have NEVER been sicker on a ride. Ok, maybe once on a Gravitron at a fair, after eating a funnel cake, but how I felt after riding Evolution is BY FAR the worst I have ever felt at Great Adventure!

The time I rode it at SFStL was a couple years ago, but I don't remember it being all that great. IMO, it was sort of slow and dragged on. It was greatly overshaddowed by the Giant Frisbee at PKI, which gave a great sensation of speed that Excalibur severely lacked.

I went on Excalibur last year, and it was a decent ride. Was a great way to dry off after the raft ride, and it had some decent forces too. I actually liked the ride a lot, but if they had stopped it at the top etc. as someone said, it would have been a lot more interesting. My favorite part is just watching the horizon flip and flip and flip when the ride is a quarter way through the rotation.