TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Im getting a Car!!!

I_am_Em0_0

I am saving for a car. I have looked for about 2 months and have narrowed it down to 2. Honda Civic and Dodge Calliber. Now I need help on choosing which one would be better. I need one with trunk space, Leg room and good handleing. Which would you pick?

Caliber

Civic

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cant offer any advice on the Dodge. All I can say is that my civic has been GREAT for the the 8 years that I have had it. Very reliable and what not. Trunk space is good enough for me, handling is fantastic. The Calliber seems very new so hopefully someone with some actual knowledge can help you out there!

I'd take the Civic. (Btw, I don't believe that hatchback version will be sold int he US)

I just read a comparo in the most recent Car and Driver and the Dodge didn't impress them much at all. The Honda FIT won the comparo by a landside...

So unless you have your herat set on one of those too, mabye you should check out the Honda Fit...

Review From Edmunds.com

The car is in the same class as the Caliber, btw.

Get the Honda. Honda doesn't have its reputation for quality for nothing, y'know. Get a copy of Consumer Reports April issue if you can and compare Dodge models to Honda models overall.

After reading that, you'll find yourself at the Honda dealer.

Eric "has a 2002 Honda CR-V and is very happy with it" L.

A great choice will always be the Honda. My college roommate had one, my brother had a CRX for ten years, and my dad currently drives an Acura. They all have had excellent experiences with this car line.

Honda makes a high quality, and very reliable automobile. American cars have improved over the years, but they aren't up to the standard set by the Japanese automakers. There is a reason why the number one selling car in the US year after year is from a Japanese automaker, they have have a great reputation for making a high quality automobile.

Actually, drive both, and get what you want to

Don't be swayed, unless you REALLY are concerned about the Honda being worth more than the Dodge in a few years

Seriously, New cars are generally VERY reliable, no matter what you buy, not quite shure how Consumer reports gets thier info, but the consistantly rate American cars near the bottom, while J.D. Power, who just deal with straight statistics rates them just about in the Middle

And the diffrence between the Japanese cars and American cars, mechanically, are not statistically very impressive.

Dodge is owned by Mercedes, and the Engine in the Calibur is a multi-car multi-Corporation effort to compete with Honda's fantastic engine's, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, and Hyundia all went in to develop this engine together, I have not driven it or done much research, but I am Fairly confident, it will be pretty damn good

So in Summation

Get what you like, thats all thats important

I just traded in my 2004 CRV- EX. It was a POS. Five brake jobs in two years, then they decided it was defective rear hubs. They're notorius for pulling to the right after 2-3 years which mine also began to do. My dealer told me both my front tires were under inflated by 60 lbs......um, wouldn't that still make th car pull the right???? Not to mention the tires only hold 35 PSI. I'm extremely disappointed in Honda.

So I just brought home a 2006 Rav4 Sport V6. Mmmm, 0-60 in 6.3!

Personally, I think both cars look like crap, but that's all my opinion.

I have a good friend who drives a Civic and other than the fact she's crashed it into pretty much everything imaginable, there have been no problems. Both my mother and father have owned Dodge vehicles, however, and they HAVE had quite a few problems on and off, but recently they have improved a lot (don't know if its up to Honda quality yet, but it's not as bad as they used to be)

Hmm I'm taking my test drive this week too 8)

DarkBlueSKYpic.jpg.4e348c84ce1a5ee418936592f1795e83.jpg

Midnight blue for me!!

"...not quite shure how Consumer reports gets thier info..." (crispy)

Um, from consumers, hence the name. Every year I fill out a very detailed survey about the various products I own, and mail it back to them. Their data is based upon those surveys.

"I just traded in my 2004 CRV- EX. It was a POS." (mcjaco)

Sorry to hear that. My 2002 CR-V LX has given me very few problems in its 82,000 miles so far. (I had to replace part of the throttle body because a sensor went bad.) I guess you got the rare bad one. Your choice of a 2006 RAV4 is a good one. It's bigger and more powerful than what it replaced. Honda's 2007 CR-V will be all new as well---no doubt a bit bigger and offer a V6; Acura is getting a version as an entry level SUV. It will be called the RDX; the MDX's little brother as it were.

Eric

Of the two, I'd get the Caliber for no other reason than that it has four doors, and I'll never own a 2 door car. My dad owns a Camaro, and the backseats basically useless since it is so small and hard to get in and out of. If I was choosing, I'd get a Chevy or a Volkswagen...or a PT Cruiser cuz they're cute

-Julie

I would get the Civic for the reliability record alone. You'll have the piece of mind that it will never break down, and if you get tired of it you can always trade it in or sell it for a healthy profit. After doing my homework, I decided to go with a 2005 Toyota Corrola and I've had no complaints yet (33 mpg, baby!). Both the Corrola and Civic are pretty comparable, with the Civic being a couple thousand dollars more. Good luck with your car hunting.

1619040550_MySexy.jpg.733610997b2e4955b92196c14cc1d114.jpg

I love my Sexy!

Sorry to hear that. My 2002 CR-V LX has given me very few problems in its 82,000 miles so far. (I had to replace part of the throttle body because a sensor went bad.) I guess you got the rare bad one. Your choice of a 2006 RAV4 is a good one. It's bigger and more powerful than what it replaced. Honda's 2007 CR-V will be all new as well---no doubt a bit bigger and offer a V6; Acura is getting a version as an entry level SUV. It will be called the RDX; the MDX's little brother as it were.

(EBL)

I'm pretty sure we got a lemon. We bought it because two of our friends had one and, they have had no difficulties. Our experiences with the dealership didn't make matters better. Originally I had wanted the Mazda 6s but, the wife was dead set on the CRV. With this Rav, I think we got the best of both. I can honestly say, that I look forward to driving this vehicle.

That being said I took a long look at the Caliber at the Auto Show. It was nice but, I have long legs which tend to hit the underside of dashboards. Otherwise, it would of been in consideration. Every Dodge my family has had (2 Caravans and 1 Neon), the transmission die on them around 80K miles.

^ If you can, get the Scion.

"Every Dodge my family has had (2 Caravans and 1 Neon), the transmission die on them around 80K miles." (mcjaco)

A friend of mine has a 2003 PT Cruiser and just had his transmission replaced at about 50K miles. There's something about Chrysler and transmissions that just...keeps me away.

Eric

We have a '99 Mercedes ML-320 (cost about the same as a Ford Explorer.) It now has 109,000 miles, and there have been no problems with it. (Okay, a Co2 sensor wasn't working right.) I'm getting this car when I start to drive, and it looks great- it definately doesn't look like it has more than a 100K miles. It's a great, reliable car.

We also just traded in an Infiniti for a Toyota Prius. We are very happy with it- usually we average about 58 mpg, which is great! It runs very nicely.