TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Manhattan Express

Jeese, I just spent 12.50 on the worst ride in Las Vegas! I swear, this has to be the worst piece of crap I even ridden. It’s rough, and jams your head side to side. God, who ever designed this thing…..

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really do wonder if it's just what people consider "rough". Personally it was rough as hell for me opening day. Some people can just tolerate a ride more than others. Technically speaking though, it was never "smooth." I did see accelerometer data from it YEARS ago and it was off the chart!

I mean, I've gotten off rough as hell woodies, Son of Beast for example, riding in the same car as someone else and where my body was bashed apart someone said "Wow, that ride was B&M smooth" and I'm sitting there thinking "Were you on the same ride as me?" "Are you INSANE???"

People just seem to have different standards, different tolerance levels, etc, whatever you want to call it.

--Robb

Robb is right. People have different tolerance levels. For example: I think GASM at SFOG is extremly smooth while my neighbor thinks it's rougher than Ninja. I think Rock'N'RollerCoaster at WDW is B&M smooth while others think it's jerky.

Yeah, tolerance levels do differ for people. For instance, when I rode Psyclone I thought it was smooth, and my first ride on Viper was smooth (although the second hurt). Of course, Blue Streak from the back is not smooth at all, but everyone already knows that.

Robb has a valid point regarding the varying personal perceptions.

However, Jon Fu

Personally, it was rough compared to the coasters I've been to in California. But for sure, 12.50 was not worth it.

I completely agree with you......for what ever reason I thought it was $15.00, maybe I had an all day pass....Either way, I rode it twice....just to make sure I agreed with my initial assessment which was "It sucked." (I rode it 2 to 3 yrs ago)

I thought Desperado in Primm was a little rough, but I still liked. It was worth the 35 minute drive from Vegas.

I was on Manhattan Express about a week ago, and I didn't think it was near as bad as it was hyped up to be. It was in no way good, but just not that bad, not as bad as it's cousin, the late Viper, was. In fact, I got more beat up the next day on Desperado, which was still a much better ride.

I guess it must all be tolerance, or maybe there are different places that the rides hurt, so certain people hurt more on some rides than others.

I rode it once in 2003, I didn't have a problem with roughness more the utter mediocrity of the ride, and the price of a ride caused excruciating pain to my hip pocket. It's another one of those rides that looks impressive but is so unexciting.

It was $7.00 back in March 1999 when I took my one and only ride on it. From what people report, the price seems to vary quite a bit.

You could lose $12.50 in a slot machine in about the same three-and-a-half minutes, but at least your head won't hurt!

Eric

I also agree with the tolerance levels. Personally, I think I have a higher tolerance level. I rode Zonga and considered it 'smoother' for it's age and it's relocations while others said that if they wanted to be banged around, they'd just get in a fight with someone. Also, I don't find boomerangs as rough as they're made out to be...although I do get off with a slight headache.

I went on it in 2005 and I rode in the back car row 1. And I expected the worst ride ever and well...I came off rather pleased. It had a few rough moments but it really wasnt that bad. I thought there were a lot of vibrations but I didnt care. The bunny hops are pointless too. In fact Im even smiling in my on ride photo.

ManhattanExpress.thumb.jpg.bdbc20731a22e6829d982c53b2e706f1.jpg

Yeah, it's strictly different strokes. I rode ME a few years ago, and rather liked it. (Unlike, say, the abovementioned Psyclone and Zonga.) When I went back to Vegas in November - after reading all the negative stuff - I approached the ride with trepidation. OK, sorry, I feel like I have very limited tolerance for roughness, but, with the exception of a couple of bad transitions, I still quite enjoyed it. Twice.

(However, I didn't suffer the $12.50 fee: I'd bought the 2-day Las Vegas Power Pass, a great prepaid bargain for folks who want to do a LOT of Vegas theme-parkish stuff, from ME and ST:TE to Madame Tussaud's and the Liberace Museum, and are willing to run madly around doing it.)

I was on Manhattan Express about a week ago, and I didn't think it was near as bad as it was hyped up to be.

Just another funny example of personal opinion and tolerance, I was on it about two weeks ago and I got off thinking "wow, that was just as bad as everybody said it was."

It was a unique rough though. The main problem was that the terrible transitions made for getting popped in the neck everytime the thing turned.

I'm raising my hand as another one of the people who found it nasty.

The peaks of the hills over the first half were probably the worst. It always felt like it jumped an inch and thudded against the guide wheels.

I rode at the front.

The "Lets try to be clever with the design" restraints don't help either....

I also agree with different tolerence levels when my mom and i rode the Mind Eraser at SFNE (my first SLC) all i could think was (with my legs scrunched up agianst the bottom of the train) WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOTTA DO THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is though the headache my mother came off with stopped her for the day!

I rode in in 2003 and good god i got the hell shaken outta me!

The only good part of that ride is the half in-line twist into the half loop as you are upside down for quite a bit before you actually drop.

Other that that I don't like it.

Did feel a bit like I was on a wooden coaster