TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What are your reasons for being a rollercoaster fan?

Some of this is obvious, but .....

For me it's the fact that we have many incredible structures, millions of dollars spent on them, and they are made for entirely one purpose...for people to have fun. It moves people from one place...back to the same exact place, a few minutes later. It makes no "progress" whatsoever.

When you have competitions like Ohio and SoCal to come up with the best coasters year after year, to the point where the amount is becoming insane, that is cool. You can now spend 3 days in Ohio and ride nearly 30 rollercoasters if I'm correct (I haven't gotten up there yet, unfortunately)

Rollercoasters are the safe adrenaline rush for people who don't necessarily want to do skydiving, aerobatic plane flying or race car driving.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It's a rush, plain and simple. There's nothing like a good coaster.

I've been into these structures since I was 7 years old. You show me a picture of track and not tell me which coaster it is, I could most likely tell you who built it just by looking at it

My love for coasters is just an extension of my love for amusement parks... it's the escape. For a few hours (or all day, which is my preference) you are completely isolated from the world around you and your day revolves around safe thrills, junk food and fun ways to waste your money!

Shari "It can't get any better than that" Shoufler

I wanted to be one of the "Cool People".

When I was in High School I was not very popular. Sure I played Sports but I was also in the Jazz Band and the Choir.

I decided I wanted to be amongst a group of people that were all cool, and where I wouldn't be looked down upon as a "Coaster Person". So I joined ACE, got a cool silk jacket (that I wear everyday to work) and I'm now more popular than ever. Add that with the 75lbs I have gained from endless Buffet's and you can see why I'm the coolest of the cool now.

I am very observant, and I love to watch huge machines. I chose roller coasters as my favorite type of machine, because you just can't get the same type of thrill anywhere else. Some of my best memories have come from riding roller coasters. Roller coasters are also a great way to meet new people. I have had some pretty interesting conversations with complete strangers while riding coasters. Also, every time I wear my "Millennium Force" shirt, at least a dozen people will start conversations about amusement parks, or they will at least comment on the shirt.

For me, I was always facinated with the way a Roller Coaster looks, sounds and it's overall purpose on earth, Even when I was scared to ride them. Around 10-11 yrs. old I was scared to ride Coasters because of their sheer height and the complex sight of loops, drops and other elements that were unknown to me then. Until one day, just 2 days after I turned 12, I went to my home park Kennywood, and finally got the courage to ride what was then, the Steel Phantom. That ride right there has paid the way for me Since then i've been on over 112 different coasters all over the U.S...I'm still afraid of heights, but not when i'm on Coasters, which by the way is totally weird but oh well

I've come to love Steel Coasters so much that i've been studing them (how they are built, track layouts, coaster engineers/managment, inversions, saftey ect..) for 7 years now It has gotten to the point that I could be shown just about any Steel Coaster picture, and automaticlly know what coaster it is and what park it is located in..(almost any..)

I'm currently In College and my major is Computer Engineering. I want and will strive to be one of the greatest Coaster designers that ever lived, just like Walter Bolliger & Claude Mabillard and other top-notch Coaster designers

• 3 years later...

Yes, it's me again that went searching through the long lost threads that haven't received any recent posts and found this beauty.

"One of these days, palmerleeberry, you're gonna have to quit this and write an original post!"

Hmm, maybe I will, but for now I'll bring this back up so it can get a few more posts.

I'm a roller coaster fan because I like the rush of the trains, the screams and cheers of the riders, and the fact that all I have to do is sit down without needing to do anything else (except to let out a "WA-HOO!!!"). I love coasters of all types and will ride anything that has tracks.

By the way, do you all know what I call a roller coaster that has a lift hill of 100 feet, made of wood, and is an out-and-back?

"Er, Uncle?"

No, I call it a baby coaster in my book. But I'll still ride it anyway, cos that's the way I am!!!

"WA-HOO!!!"

As all men I like big machines, and a rollercoaster is excactly that. What makes rollercoasters particularly fascinating is the fact that once the train leaves the lift/launch theres nothing powering the train besides gravity. A heavy train full of riders rolling over large hills and through loops and corkscrews is just a fascinating thought. And of course, they are damn fun to ride!

I mainly like roller coasters because I get bored so quickly & a ride on a roller coaster gives me excitement. Also being an enthusiast I get to travel all over the country (& soon world) enjoying my hobby & meeting people like me. When I ride a roller coaster I forget all of my problems & don't think about anything except what is going to happen to me for the next 2-4 minutes. Roller coasters changed my life & I get bored when I can't ride them, AKA the off-season which I'm stuck in now .

The first is the speed and airtime on coasters. Also I enjoy the History around parks and studying operation aspects of parks. There is not another feeling than the warm fuzzy feeling I get when a train load of happy guests come back into a station after I helped make it happen. Even being next inline the excitment builds for it.