TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Out and Back Coasters

I've always consider my favorite type of coaster the "Out and Back."

I have mad love for Apollo's Chariot, Millennium Force, Goliath (SFMM), Superman Ride of Steel (rode all three in the US, prefer SFNE) and Nitro.

It appears that smooth full-circuit steel roller coasters with Air time and great drops are my passion.

With that said I'm seeking your help.

I'm planning to take a few weekend trips and a 6 night/7 day (not counting travel time) overseas trip this summer.

Can you please provide suggestions as to where I can find roller coasters (which I haven't named) that fit the description above?

By the way, I rode Sheikra last September, I don't think "dive machines" are all that great!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by what you have told me I think you should go to Holiday Park for EGF and Europa Park for Silver Star. Both of these parks are in Germany and these parks have your favorite type of roller coaster. Walibi World also has a great hyper coaster called Goliath, Walibi World is in Holland.

Holiday Park - http://www.rcdb.com/pd343.htm

Europa Park - http://www.rcdb.com/qs.htm?quicksearch=Europa+Park

Walibi World - http://www.rcdb.com/pd266.htm

By the way, I rode Sheikra last September, I don't think "dive machines" are all that great!

ahhh.. But what if B&M made an Out-And-Back dive machine? Would that sell you?

I think that would be pretty cool myself.

Thanks for the suggestions CoasterCrazy

Imhotep.....the overall concept of a dive machine means you're basically loosing the traditional drop feeling. My thought is since your whole body is falling forward with the coaster, it removes most the feel of the hill. Similar to when you have your hands up on a coaster, you have less of the feeling in your stomach then when your hands are down. Your body is freer, less resistance means less feeling.

So, if they somehow had the dive as one element within the circuit, accompanying regular drops, then I agree that would be great....but based on the train designs I doubt that will happen.

I've always consider my favorite type of coaster the "Out and Back."

I have mad love for Apollo's Chariot, Millennium Force, Goliath (SFMM), Superman Ride of Steel (rode all three in the US, prefer SFNE) and Nitro.

It appears that smooth full-circuit steel roller coasters with Air time and great drops are my passion.

Maybe I'm being nit picky but I wouldn't consider any of those coasters out and back.

Out and back tends to refer to going straight out turning around and coming straight back. Those coasters all have twisting portions of some kind, and don't really follow an out and back type path.

Apollo's Chariot, Millennium Force, Goliath (SFMM), Superman - Ride of Steel and Nitro

Carnage wrote:

Maybe I'm being nit picky but I wouldn't consider any of those coasters out and back.

If you are thinking of the old woodies as "Out and Back" coasters....that may be accurate....I was under the impression "Out and Back" referenced a wood or steel sit down coasters (as opposed to standing or flight position), with track beneath the train (as opposed to inverted) which has numerous traditional hills/drops (as opposed to hills broken by a twist). If they have additional elements incorperated such as a helix, it would make the coaster more unique, but it would be an "out and Back" nonetheless.

I guess we have stumbled upon some really good questions.

*What is an Out and Back coaster?

*Is it still considered an Out and Back if there are elements such as a helix or immelmann added?

Millenium Force is a tough one....but at that same park, Magnum is the perfect example of an out and back.

S:ROS at SFA and SFDL are out and backs, the helices are just to turn the train around. SFNE's starts out like an out & back, but the ride also has twister moments at the end.

Nitro and Apollo's Chariot are out & backs.

SFMM's Goliath is not really an out & back, it's more of a twister.

Timber Terror.

It kicks Shivering Timbers out the back door.

It should be in the dictionary under "out and back"

I absolutely prefer it to Tremors as well. At CAC this last September, it was performing better than ever. Infinitely re-rideable.

I'd typically think of this definition:

Out and Back - A term used to describe a type of layout on a roller coaster. An out and back roller coaster layout is where the train leaves the station and heads out to a point where there is a turnaround to send the train back to the station. Sometimes variations can be found like an L-layout out and back where the turnaround is not the only curve in the roller coaster. Some out and back coasters like Shivering Timbers at Michigan's Adventure will have a helix at the end of the layout, but still maintain a correct out and back layout.

That would definetly take out S:ROS(SFNE), MF, and Goliath.

The other two S:ROS would be a grey area.

• 3 weeks later...

Best O&B Coaster(s):

Wood: I love Rebel Yell @ PKD..a classic ride (even backwards).

Steel: AP @ BGE...wow!

Europe:

I never been there, but I would imagine that Goliath would be the bomb (from the POV-videos I have seen).