TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Julie rides Goliath (SFoG)

Mindbender's second train was down for rehab (using parts from Greezed Lightnin' from PGA). It is now operational.

Yes, that's right, Mindbender was running two trains on Saturday (4/1) for the first time since 2004!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta make it up to SFoG!

Looks like they've got a good collection of coasters.

Is it sad though that besides Goliath, the ride i'm most looking foward to is Monster Plantation!?!

Ugh! Monster Plantation!

Is it me, or does that ride have a wierd smell?

Awwww! I like rides with weird smells! (Musty-type smells are my favorite for some odd reason).

I so need to get up to SFoG to experience Monster Pl....errrr....Goliath!

It could be so much better than that, but remember it came to life in 1981 (?) It really was top-notch back then, and I love it in the same way I love the old classic dark rides like various Haunted Mansion's out there. I wouldn't want it to change a bit.

I can see where people dislike it, but it is still very popular and I still love it the same way I did as a child.

http://www.a-v-g.com/mag1.htm

"Your invited, to a picnic..."

Also, Mind Bender sporadically operated two trains late last year but when they did all hell broke loose (which is why it rarely occured). I don't know all of the mechanics of the ride, but with new brakes put in, I'd say it had problems with the control or braking systems. Apparently that has been worked out now.

Funny, last year at GaTech night, it operated 2 trains with only 5K in the park and the next day, with 3 times that amount, only 1 train.

I'm pretty sure Mind Bender's new trains and parts didn't come from California, unless you are talking about the new-for-2005 train. That's the only thing we've gotten from the west coast AFAIK

^^ Heh, very cool Parktrips. I was actually looking to find the cover of that particular World magizine. Yes, I am old enough to actually remember when that issue came out (I had a subsciption when I was a kid). I totally forgotten about that issue until I rode Monster Plantation for the first time last summer. Funny how things come around like that.

Great TR, Julie!

I just returned from meeting at a Barnes and Noble with author Tim Hollis, who is working on the Anniversary book for Six Flags Over Georgia as well as exhibits displaying photos and merchandise of the park. This guy knows the park in and out, so he will do a fantastic job. He brought a lot of photos to show, and a fellow theme park enthusiast overheard us and joined in on the conversation---very fun! Anway, Mr. Hollis had a lot of photos of the old Okefenokee ride and Monster Plantation. Yes, I wish they'd get the ride back to its former self---I went on it when I was a little kid in 1982 when it was still new and pretty. I got to see photos of concept art and the models used for some of the characters, as well as clear photos of the marsh monsters. I gave Mr. Hollis copies from the Monster Plantation Postcard Book (which has awesome illustrations) that the park was kind enough to send me free years ago when I wrote them about getting the coloring book----they were out (anyone willing to sell a copy?). Hopefully he can use the copies for one of the memorabilia displays they are planning.

Mr. Hollis also showed photos of Walk-around monster characters the park used to have. I never saw those! They were of the Strongman Monster, the Tennis Monster, and the Marshall. Maybe we'll see them again someday.

By the way, the little girl on the cover of that National Geographic World (which I still have) with the monster is the daughter of Roy Moore, who is still with Six Flags and works with the parks' animatronics.

Ugh! Monster Plantation!

Is it me, or does that ride have a wierd smell?

Nope, not just you! Smells like a combo of musty and moldy. All the fur looks so dusty and dirty! Sorry for hating on it Joe, but they could do *so* much better than that!

-Julie

If there is anything negative I could say about Pirates or Splash or Small World at Disneyland, it's that they all seemed to have that slightly musty smell. Maybe it's just a springtime thing.

If there is anything negative I could say about Pirates or Splash or Small World at Disneyland, it's that they all seemed to have that slightly musty smell. Maybe it's just a springtime thing.

Yeah, Pirates and Splash are *slighty* musty, but it's not an offensive, moldy smell. To me, most water rides smell like "indoor water", where Monster Plantation just smells like mold!

-Julie