TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Flat ride?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite flat ride is the Fabbri Hard Rock. They're rare; I've only seen one of them in my life.

You should come to a SoCal Fair, as Hard Rock seems to be at just about every fair here.

Anyways, while I love a lot of flat rides and could be here all day if I listed all the flats I enjoyed.

However, my top 2 would have to boil down to the Zipper and Drop Zone @ Kings Island.

zipper4.JPG.ef6040711cc1aedd77a401841e9abc7f.JPG

dropzoneKI.jpg.dc8e1459fb8245282f4841cd6dd569e0.jpg

Wipeout! Especially the ones that go backwards, too.

Himalayas! Basically same premise as the Wipeout.

I may be a dork, but there is NOTHING like a really good, antique carousel, too. Not some cheap, flaky-paint thing at a carnival, but one like Knoebel's that is really old, really beautiful, really genuine, AND still has rings you can grab!

The Middle America trip has given me a few new favorites. The following three ride types are intense and still scare me!

Sidewinder at Adventureland--a Frisbee knockoff by Moser.

Any intense Top Spin-style ride. The best ones I've ridden are Splash Over at Adventureland, Riptide at Valleyfair, and Wind Surf at a Butler Amusements carnival (California State Fair).

Screamin Swings--I've ridden Giant Barn Swing at Silver Dollar City, Apollo's Swing at Mt. Olympus, and Xtreme Swing at Valleyfair. Beautiful scenery makes the ones at SDC and VF stand out.

Last but not least, here is a ride that is intense and incredibly fun, but not particularly scary:

Cyclone Sam's at Worlds of Fun. It's an indoor Wipeout with ridiculous airtime and laterals. Word traveled fast regarding the epicism of this ride!

Last but not least, here is a ride that is intense and incredibly fun, but not particularly scary:

Cyclone Sam's at Worlds of Fun. It's an indoor Wipeout with ridiculous airtime and laterals. Word traveled fast regarding the epicism of this ride!

YAYYY!! I still have the picture of us waiting for that last ride on Cyclone Sams on my phone. I think I'll look at it now

David

^Cyclone Sam's just goes to prove one of my new amusement parks rules. If the ride is in a building and you have no idea what it you have to check it out. Especially in foreign countries.

You may get fooled into riding a couple of crappy simulators, but it's all worth it when you find the hidden gems.

Stupid John Vasquez, telling people that Cyclone Sam's was just a scrambler in the dark.

Edited by larrygator

^ I couldn't agree more. I'd heard the Scrambler in the Dark comment - but the queue was air conditioned and the ride was inside. If you remember - it was just freaking hot that day. We decided to check Cyclone Sams out and I'm so glad we did. I think I actually went on it like three times and giggled my fool head off during each of them.

COW...FARM...ROOF...TRACTOR...COW....FARM...ROOF...TRACTOR...

David, YAYYY is right! Cyclone Sam's is the PROWLER of flat rides. I'm glad so many of us got to check it out.

Speaking of mysterious rides in the dark...When I first saw a Starship 2000, I was actually expecting it to be a space-themed dark ride with little rocket cars, like an indoor Dumbo ride. When I got in I realized it was more like a Round-Up. When I rode it...well, let's just say I didn't regret it.

^ The Zipper is AWESOME! There should totally be a non-portable park ride version.

I concur with the others on WOF's Cyclone Sam ride. That thing is GENIUS.

I can't forget the Togo Flat Ride of Hot Death (aka Wild Storm) found in Japan...kinda like an Enterprise wheel with Paratrooper style carriages which freely and randomly do complete 360's when the wheel is completely vertical!!! It was the shocking hit of the TPR Japan trip in '07.

I just got back from the county fair and I have a new favorite flat ride... the Zipper!

I freaking LOVE the Zipper. Especially if you get a crazy carney that will get your car flipping like crazy before starting the ride. AWESOME. I think he was flirting with me, but that's another story for another time.

^I too would love to see a non-portable version at a park somewhere. Something like a SUPER-ZIPPER. Could be kick a$$.

David

Huss Top Spin for me or an ARM tower. The zipper is the only ride I have ever ridden that makes me feel sick, but I'll give it a reride since its been a while next time the fair is in town. I just love turning upside down quick and kind of being whipped upside down, like a top spin! ARM towers speak for themselves. It feels like you get launched downwards, what an awesome feeling!

• 5 months later...

I have a lot, so I'll do just a few:

Octotron - Belmont Park

Drop Tower - King's Island

Delirium/MaXair - CP/KI

Skyhawk - Cedar Point

Supreme Scream - Knott's

Ranger - Darien Lake

Beach Blaster - Belmont Park

Dive Devil - SFMM

Cliff Jumper - Scandia

Tower of Terror - DCA