TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Flat ride?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I've been to a few more parks, I think I can update my list:

Any drop/launch tower (S&S, ARM/Larson, Intamin, etc.)

Any 'spinning discus' ride (maXair is best, La Revolucion is next)

Any Screamin' Swing

Enterprise

Eagle's Flight at CGA (forget what that type of ride is called)

Paratrooper

Most Observation Towers

Tilt-A-Whirl

Top Spin

Zamperla Inverter

Zaperla Disk'O (Disk'O with airtime hump preferred)

Zamperla Kang-A-Bounce

My favorite flats usually are drop towers, frisbee-style flats, and crazy spinning rides. With that, here are some of my favorite flats that I have experienced.

Dragon's Descent (Funtown U.S.A.)- The tallest thrill ride in New England (yes, it is taller than SFNE's Bizarro) at 220ft, Dragon's Descent is a rush. At the apex of the tower, there are amazing views to be had of the Maine wilderness and the Atlantic Ocean. However, quickly enough the ride launches riders downwards, providing a nice burst of air-time. Of all the turbo drops I've been on, Funtown's is my favorite since it is the most intense. Even better, the park really themed this S&S tower well. They dedicated an entire section of the park for just this one ride.

Astrosphere (Funtown U.S.A.)- I've always loved scramblers and this one is my favorite by far. Housed within a festive-looking dome, this Eli Bridge scrambler runs just as fast as almost every other model I've been on. So, what makes it so special? The light/music show. This light/music show could honestly be an attraction on its own. It is really that well done! Not only is the ride incredibly entertaining and disorienting, but the park also gives an incredibly long cycle that is unrivaled by any other scrambler that I have been on.

Adrenalin (Palace Playland)- While the park itself pales in comparison to Funtown, Palace Playland has a winner in Adrenalin. Imported directly in from the European fair circuit, Adrenalin is a Technical Park Street Fighter and easily the best frisbee-style flat I've been on. While it isn't overly tall, Adrenalin is one of the most intense flats out there. Once the ride kicks it into high gear, it begins treating riders to an amazing experience that alternates between powerful ejector air and insane positive Gs that make me feel like the ride could rip my legs off. While the cycle is short, Adrenalin is a flat not to be missed!

Star Blaster (Canobie Lake Park)- Diminutive in size, Star Blaster definitely isn't lacking in the thrills department as this 85ft tall S&S Double Shot provides two powerful launches followed by two of the craziest moments of air-time I've experienced on any attraction. Needless to say, this is my favorite Double Shot out there at the moment.

Catapult (Six Flags New England)- While the restraints are very tight and even moderately uncomfortable, the ride itself is a very disorienting thrill from start to finish. Imposing to just look at, the Catapult is one of the few flats that still scares me to this very day. The Gs and hang-time that this ride provides are matched by very few flats.

Screamin' Eagle (Seabreeze)- As I detailed in my TR the other day, Seabreeze has a real winner with this Zamperla Hawk. The park's only inverting flat, the Screamin' Eagle not only boasts a very long cycle, but it also gives amazing hang-time going over the top and powerful Gs on the downswings. Don't miss this in a visit to Seabreeze.

Music Express (Seabreeze)- I never thought that I would find a himalaya more intense than Canobie's old Matterhorn, but I finally did find one. Replacing the park's old Gyrosphere flat, the Music Express had big shoes to fill and it certainly did not let me down. First off, the ride traveled backwards. That alone is great since it is a rarity for most himalayas today. However, what makes this special is how it begins by going backwards. Later, the ride begins traveling forwards and at the very end of the ride, this himalaya kicks it into overdrive and provides the most intense laterals I've experienced on a himalaya. Heck, I even got a little air-time going over the bumps on the ride. Then when you throw in a long cycle, this flat was able to dethrone Canobie's now defunct Matterhorn.

Rainbow (The Great Escape)- Unfortunately, this classic Huss flat has since been replaced by Sasquatch, the park's new S&S drop tower; however, while it operated it was simply amazing. A beauty to look at, Rainbow overlooked the parking lot beckoning for riders to come right over. Once I boarded, I was treated to a very long cycle teeming with nice floater air going over the top combined with some powerful laterals. I really wish that the park didn't have to remove this flat, but apparently it was having mechanical issues so I do understand.

Bumper Cars (Hoffman's Playland)- To date, these are the only bumper cars I've been on that can even rival the Scooters at Knoebels in terms of sheer power. While housed in a smaller arena at a little-known park nearby Albany, New York, the Bumper Cars at Hoffman's Playland are a real treat. Not only do they hit just as hard as the ones at Knoebels, but the park gives an even longer cycle that clocks in at about 4-5 minutes.

Drop Tower (Canada's Wonderland)- Until I experienced Canada's Wonderland's Drop Tower, I unfortunately never had the pleasure of experiencing an Intamin drop tower. Well, after riding this a couple of times this past week, I can say that I now prefer Intamin drop towers over S&S versions. The suspense before the drop was much better on this Intamin tower since the sounds of compressed air did not give away the drop here. Additonally, the drop itself was just so much more thrilling. I completely lost my stomach and was floating the whole way down. Wow!

Sledge Hammer (Canada's Wonderland)- Prior to riding, I wasn't expecting to be blown away since several reviews of this unique flat had said that it looked a lot more fun than it actually was. Fortunately for me, it was the opposite, which is quite a statement since the ride itself looks quite imposing and thrilling. Once I boarded, I was treated to a ride packed with some disorienting spinning, air-time enducing lifts, and sudden drops that were actually better than those on several drop towers I've been on.

Downdraft (Knoebels)- I definitely wasn't expecting this to be my favorite flat at Knoebels, but this Dartron spinning contraption actually turned out to be my favorite! Located towards the front of the park, this spinning ride is a very disorienting experience. Not only is it a very dizzying ride, but it gives amazing moments of air-time and laterals when the ride swings outwards. As icing on the cake, Knoebels gives an incredibly long cycle as well.

Scooters (Knoebels)- Considered the pinnacle of bumper cars by many theme park enthusiasts, Knoebels's Knoebels did not let me down. Not only did they have an incredibly long cycle, but the Lusse cars were just as good as advertised as I was able to create some incredibly awesome and violent collisions.

Grand Carousel (Knoebels)- Carousels typically are one of the most beautiful attractions at an amusement park. Well, Knoebels has the most beautiful looking carousel I have ever seen. With its hand-crafted horses, classic organ, and fancy pavilion, the Grand Carousel alone is a winner based upon looks. But what really makes this ride stand out is how riders have a chance to try and grab the brass ring. While I never did grab that elusive brass ring, I still had a blast trying!

Flyer (Knoebels)- To finish up, I just have to mention Knoebels's illustrious Flyer. Very well shaded, the Flyer is one of the most intense flats I've experienced as the tubs on this simply move like crazy. Manipulating the tubs are a piece of cake and the maneuvers that the Flyer can execute are unrivaled by any other Flying Scooters I've been on thanks to how quickly Knoebels runs this thing at. Plus, it has a really long cycle like many of their flats.

Howler at Hersheypark is my favorite. For those of you who don't know what it is, You sit in circles with four seats and yo can spin them yourself like teacups. The ride starts spinning and once it gets up to speed the entire thing tilts up. It made me feel sick to my stomach, which went away after I drank some water. If you go to Hersheypark I highly reccommend this ride, it's right by the train station under the bridge.

The short lived XK-1 at Knotts Berry Farm was one of my favorites. I just liked that you could roll all the way around.

But now in its place is Supreme Scream... I love/hate drop towers. Rode it yesterday and still not sure if I'd do it again.

Samurai @ Lagoon (Mondial Topscan) - One of my personal all time favorites. I've been on it over 70 times, and loved each and every ride, even to this day.

Catapult @ Lagoon (Funtime Slingshot / 250ft) - Absolute best suspension ever, waiting for the launch. Probably the most thrilling flat ride I've ever been on.

Skycoaster @ Lagoon (Sky Fun 1 / 150ft) - The 60ft head first free fall after pulling the rip cord was the most thrilling moment I've ever experienced. Ever.

Howler at Hersheypark is my favorite. For those of you who don't know what it is, You sit in circles with four seats and yo can spin them yourself like teacups. The ride starts spinning and once it gets up to speed the entire thing tilts up. It made me feel sick to my stomach, which went away after I drank some water. If you go to Hersheypark I highly reccommend this ride, it's right by the train station under the bridge.

I've never been to impressed by the Wisdom Tornados I've been on at carnivals, Lake Compounce, and Palace Playland. While disorienting, the ride just seems a bit slow to me. Personally, I prefer the regular old tilt-a-whirl. Also, wasn't the Howler relocated to Dutch Wonderland?

People are making me jealous of your love of spinning rides. I can't look at Tea Cups without feeling sick...

"Just looking at Tea Cups 1 makes me feel sick."

My father has the same problem. I feel sorry for you since they really are fun flats.

Catapult @ Lagoon (Funtime Slingshot / 250ft) - Absolute best suspension ever, waiting for the launch. Probably the most thrilling flat ride I've ever been on.

Skycoaster @ Lagoon (Sky Fun 1 / 150ft) - The 60ft head first free fall after pulling the rip cord was the most thrilling moment I've ever experienced. Ever.

I've never tried any upcharge rides while at an amusement park. I mean, I've had the opportunity to ride Sky Coasters and Slingshot style attractions at parks, but I never been on either since usually they are at larger parks that have enough attractions that are included with admission. Are these two rides really that excellent that they are worth trying eventually?

When I was a wee lad, I used to love the Enterprise. I can't do them now that I'm getting up there.

I would say now my favorite flat is a toss up between drop towers, gyro swings, and screamin swings. Hmmn, how about a Screamin' Gyro Drop Swing?

I've never tried any upcharge rides while at an amusement park. I mean, I've had the opportunity to ride Sky Coasters and Slingshot style attractions at parks, but I never been on either since usually they are at larger parks that have enough attractions that are included with admission. Are these two rides really that excellent that they are worth trying eventually?

Yes they are definitely worth the 20 bucks or so that they cost. I've never been on a slingshot, but I've been on a Skycoaster like, 4 times, pretty much once per season I'll ride them. They are absolutely excellent!

Hands down, the best flat rides are Intamin drop towers. Drop Tower at King's Island is all sorts of amazing, and the 2nd generation tower at Canada's Wonderland is also very good. A friend and I were debating which drop towers are better, S&S or Intamin. We both came to the conclusion that S&S towers are good, but only for a few seconds, while Intamin drop towers are awesome the whole way.

Rounding out the list of great flat rides are S&S Screaming Swings, Mondial Top Scans and Huss Giant Frisbees.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite flat ride is the Fabbri Hard Rock. They're rare; I've only seen one of them in my life. Here are a few pics I found:

FabbriHardRock2.jpg.f8749ef12608619eb17ea28cfe58f9cc.jpg

Here's how you start. Once you are in your restraints and the ride cages are shut, the entire ride begins to spin. Soon after, each individual car begins to rotate upside down. The arms then begin to tilt up, and you eventually wind up like this:

FabbriHardRock.jpg.661c4d8ef7a610cfce9108f2daae25e1.jpg

Very intense flat ride! If you see one, be sure and ride it!

That Fabbri Hard Rock looks similar to the Zamperla Mixer.

My current favorites are the Huss Giant Frisbee and Mondial Top Scan.

As for the old school flats my favorites are the Schwarzkopf Bayern Kurve, Mack Musik Express, Mack Matterhorn, Mack Sea Storm, Huss UFO and the Huss Troika.

Has anybody gotten a chance to ride the Zamperla Air Race at Luna Park (Coney Island) yet? That looks like a really fun ride.

I went on it, my Trip Report is here. There's a short description and pics in the first post, and more in depth at the bottom.

The Air Race was fun, but my favorite flats are Frisbees (pretty much any size and manufacturer) and I loved Skyhawk at Cedar Point and paid for the Screamin Swing at Dorney once, but I don't generally do upcharge rides.