TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Flat ride?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally love Gerstlauer's Sky Fly. If you know how to ride it correctly you can make it extremely fun and forceful. I once punched out about 40 flips on Shell Shock at Nickelodeon Universe, and it was just about the most intense ride I've ever ridden. I'd say the Zierer Fireball and Moser's Frisbee are a close second and third. The fireball has some insane airtime, while Moser's smaller model frisbee seems more forceful than Husses giant model.

Im sure I'm in the minority but I am a huge fan of the one remaining S&S Sky Swat! I really love Slammer for some reason. Having spoken to a previous ride manager at Thorpe I will acknowledge the fact the ride is badly designed and a pain in the arse for the park but I always have so much fun on it!

I personally love Gerstlauer's Sky Fly. If you know how to ride it correctly you can make it extremely fun and forceful. I once punched out about 40 flips on Shell Shock at Nickelodeon Universe, and it was just about the most intense ride I've ever ridden. I'd say the Zierer Fireball and Moser's Frisbee are a close second and third. The fireball has some insane airtime, while Moser's smaller model frisbee seems more forceful than Husses giant model.

Just googled the zierer ride you mentioned. Looks really cool, but never seen any parks that have one. Where did you ride it at?

Just googled the zierer ride you mentioned. Looks really cool, but never seen any parks that have one. Where did you ride it at?

There's one at Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall Of America

nickelodeonuniverse.com/jimmy-neutrons-atomic-collider/

Would my 12 and a half foot tall heavy duty commercial grade swingset count as a flat ride? It pulls about 3 gs when I am swinging full height and I get some good 0g airtime.

I'd bet on it being more entertaining than Bourbon Dragons at SFGADV.

Update:

It was frisbees until I went to Dollywood last year. So now Screamin' Swings are my favorite.

I've been on Barnstormer @ Dollywood and Space Invader at Fun Spot America in Orlando.

My favorite of the 2 is Barnstormer.

41.thumb.jpg.22b91e360783b3f539916a9d64ae74c6.jpg

Space Invader @ Fun Spot America Orlando

IMG_5293.thumb.JPG.9bc69003d9721addd5ecd153683c0965.JPG

Barnstormer @ Dollywood

• 1 month later...

Rode a KMG freak out (operated by Campbell Amusements) at a carnival the other day, and now it looks like I'll be re arranging my top flats for sure! While it wasn't quite as extreme as I expected, the ride itself was just ridiculously fun, while still feeling relatively intense. The fact the seats face inward, letting you see everyone else on the ride while still allowing you to feel pretty exposed with the "inverted" style seats is definetly a highlight. Unlike the outward facing models, you get a sense of sharing the ride, especially if you go with a larger group. In addition, the ride (probably also due to the inward facing seats) seems to spin a lot faster (about 2x the speed) than the other frisbee/pendulum rides I've done. The extra spin really helps to add to the intensity, and gives it a much different feel than other rides like it IMO.

With that being said, I've also heard many good things about technical park's version, street fighter. A few have actually said the technical park ride is better than KMG's freak out. Unfortunately, never been on one myself, so can't compare. Anybody here done both?

^This question may have been answered already, but what makes the s&s scream'n swings so much better than the frisbee type rides? Seems to me like the spinning on the frisbees would add to the experience. As someone who's been on a few frisbee rides, but no scream'n swings, I just don't get what makes the s&s rides so great lol.

^This question may have been answered already, but what makes the s&s scream'n swings so much better than the frisbee type rides? Seems to me like the spinning on the frisbees would add to the experience. As someone who's been on a few frisbee rides, but no scream'n swings, I just don't get what makes the s&s rides so great lol.

Maybe it's just the simplicity. The swings are like a playground swing gone berzerk. It's just a simple back-and-forth, but it's great! Cedar Point has both ride types with MaXair and Skyhawk. I like MaXair a lot. It's fun. But Skyhawk is by far my favorite flat in the park.

For me its that small awkward lap bar that makes it feel like you're barely being held into the ride. I am also not a huge fan of the Giant Frisbees i think they are fun but not to the level of this where i am looking straight down half of the time with hardly anything holding me.

Maybe it's just the simplicity. The swings are like a playground swing gone berzerk. It's just a simple back-and-forth, but it's great! Cedar Point has both ride types with MaXair and Skyhawk. I like MaXair a lot. It's fun. But Skyhawk is by far my favorite flat in the park.

Skyhawk and Maxair are my two fav flats at Cedar Point. Skyhawk gives the stomach churning feeling thats great, but nothing can beat maxair. The forceful swinging with the light spinning is unbeatable.

It's all about personal preference. Some people just don't like spinning or rotating like that with a frisbee ride (even though it's not a fast spin) so they are more likely to prefer a Screamin' Swing. I've been on 2 Screamin' Swings and one frisbee ride, and I prefer the Screamin' Swings. Frisbees were my favorite flat until I rode Barnstormer at Dollywood last year and I normally don't like rides that spin (diskos make me nauseous for example). I think it was the airtime I get on the SS and they didn't have OTSRs like the frisbee I've been on (Rattler @ Wild Adventures).

I just love "The Rotor".

I rode one for the first time as a child at Boblo Island in Ontario. I begged and pleaded to go on it but my Mom flat out refused to let me. My Dad and I ditched my Mom at some point (sorry Mom) and went on it together. It was my first real "grown up" ride and it freaked me out and changed my life all at once.

The last one I rode was in 2011 at Luna Park in Sydney, Australia. Brought back so many great childhood memories.

Anyone know if there are still any operational Rotors around?

boblo_island_rotor.jpg.df298ed55c1a7d286c9250c0e385f8e5.jpg

The Rotor at Boblo Island

It's all about personal preference. Some people just don't like spinning or rotating like that with a frisbee ride (even though it's not a fast spin) so they are more likely to prefer a Screamin' Swing. I've been on 2 Screamin' Swings and one frisbee ride, and I prefer the Screamin' Swings. Frisbees were my favorite flat until I rode Barnstormer at Dollywood last year and I normally don't like rides that spin (diskos make me nauseous for example). I think it was the airtime I get on the SS and they didn't have OTSRs like the frisbee I've been on (Rattler @ Wild Adventures).

Exactly. I've been on a Frisbee (Revolution at SF Great America) and I thought it was okay but not great. I can take light spinning like on diskos and wave swingers, so the spinning didn't really bother me on Revolution. It just wasn't all that fun to me. The Screamin' Swings, though, are amazing. It's like the first drop of a coaster about 8 times in a row. I love feeling like I'm falling straight down. And airtime on a flat ride is almost unheard of, but the Screamin' Swings deliver. They're great rides; more parks should have one.