TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Flat ride?

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was on the TPR 2009 Scandi Tour, one of the last parks we visited, Sarkanniemi, had one of these to ride. I don't know the 'generic term' name for this type of flat, but I really REALLY enjoyed it! And with several of us on at the same time, it was a lot of noisy screaming fun.

V_03Sarkanniemi_TakeOff.jpg.12e06caa3448ee6e4a2dc046e01a5ee3.jpg

Great flat ride.

Yeah, I probably love Zippers the most. They look sketchy, and you just pray the door doesn't fly open while you're inside! On top of that (and especially with a good ride cycle and/or operator), it's a very intense and fun ride! Do any permanent amusement parks run these or is it just temporary fairs? (Additionally, are Zippers pretty much just a North American thing?) The last two Zippers I rode were at ghetto fairs temporarily set up in a random parking lot of a mall/shopping center. I just happened to be driving down the road and saw them. A cheap, "dangerous", ghetto fair, ambiance only adds to the thrill of a Zipper!

A Loop O Plane is another "old school" flat that I love. The last one I rode was at Miracle Strip Park (Panama City, FL) shortly before the park closed. I loved seeing/hearing/smelling the small, sputtering, gas engine that powered the ride. The sound of it still echoes in my mind. (That reminds me, I took some video of this park. I should find it and upload it.) Loop O Plane is another sketchy looking ride that turns out to be really good.

As far as newer rides go, a Top Spin (especially with a good ride cycle) is lots of fun!

Yeah, I probably love Zippers the most. They look sketchy, and you just pray the door doesn't fly open while you're inside! On top of that (and especially with a good ride cycle and/or operator), it's a very intense and fun ride! Do any permanent amusement parks run these or is it just temporary fairs? (Additionally, are Zippers pretty much just a North American thing?) The last two Zippers I rode were at ghetto fairs temporarily set up in a random parking lot of a mall/shopping center. I just happened to be driving down the road and saw them. A cheap, "dangerous", ghetto fair, ambiance only adds to the thrill of a Zipper!

A Loop O Plane is another "old school" flat that I love. The last one I rode was at Miracle Strip Park (Panama City, FL) shortly before the park closed. I loved seeing/hearing/smelling the small, sputtering, gas engine that powered the ride. The sound of it still echoes in my mind. (That reminds me, I took some video of this park. I should find it and upload it.) Loop O Plane is another sketchy looking ride that turns out to be really good.

As far as newer rides go, a Top Spin (especially with a good ride cycle) is lots of fun!

Agree with you totally on the Zipper. Pretty sure they're mainly a north American thing, however I've heard of some in Australia. As for the good ride op thing, I've noticed that the way they run zippers in Canada, pacifically in Ontario, that they'll run it in a very interesting manner. If there is only one or two people on the ride, the op will start and stop the cars, and keep the boom moving, in order to line up the one loaded car in order to get it to flip continuously. I've experienced this, and when done properly, you are not able to move from the G forces, either pinned to the seat, or shoved into the cage door (extremely scary, wondering if the door will fly open). Strangely, out of all the youtube videos out there of this ride I have only seen this in Canada, and only in person... idk, maybe because of the free health care up here, the ops run the hell outa the ride, knowing that people won't sue you over the health care being too expensive if the thing breaks lol.... too bad you guys south of the boarder don't get to experience it

But ya... people who complain about the old rides sucking, and saying that only the new rides are intense are mistakin'... we've had amazing ride experiences since the Zipper's invention in 1968.

I've always wondered why Chance hasn't (to my knowledge) manufactured a beefier park version of the Zipper. I envision it with open carriages allowing your feet to dangle and with OTSR's (sort of like the Intamin Zac Spin coaster carriages).

When I was on the TPR 2009 Scandi Tour, one of the last parks we visited, Sarkanniemi, had one of these to ride. I don't know the 'generic term' name for this type of flat, but I really REALLY enjoyed it! And with several of us on at the same time, it was a lot of noisy screaming fun.

I believe the name for this is "Eclipse"?

There used to be one at a local indoor park here in Illinois, that didn't last long. Very intense!

There is only one that is considered stationary and it is the one at Trimpers in Ocean City, MD. I love that it is so close to me and it it is definitely one of the best zippers I have ever rode.

As for the door flying open.... I have had one open while I was riding. Luckily it was in lift mode and not in full operation.

There is only one that is considered stationary and it is the one at Trimpers in Ocean City, MD. I love that it is so close to me and it it is definitely one of the best zippers I have ever rode.

As for the door flying open.... I have had one open while I was riding. Luckily it was in lift mode and not in full operation.

When the door opened, what did you do?... Did you fall out, or were you low enough to jump out yourself?

Also with the quote above about a park model, I agree on that. It's surprising why chance hasn't made a modernized Version of the ride that could be good for parks as well as traveling midways, and bigger/better than the original, the only recent update I heard about for the zipper was about 10-13 years ago, when they made safer, longer lasting and slightly re designed cages. Considering how popular the ride is, I'm shocked they haven't decided to try a modern overhaul (not just new cages) like what they did with their transmit, turning it into the whip rout.

Anyone else agree?

• 2 weeks later...

The Crypt at King's Dominion - EIGHT inversions!!!

Honorable mentions are the Jimmy Neutron ride (MOA), Looping Starship/Berserker (Valleyfair!/King's Dominion), Aero 360 and Pitt Fall (Kennywood), Drop Tower (King's Island), Revolution (Holiday World), Demon Drop (Dorney Park, but I rode it at CP), Fiddler's Fling (Six Flags Great America), and Skyhawk/Xtreme Swing and the Chaos rides (Cedar Point/Valleyfair!).