TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Flat ride?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not big on flat rides, but will usually try them at least once when I come across a new type.

My favorite so far would have to be the frisbee type rides.

I've been on a Moser Sidewinder (@ Wild Adventures), and can't wait to try a giant frisbee.

Other than that I liked the Aviator, Flying Scooters (flyers), Drop Towers/Double Shot & Orbiter (Sandstorm @ BGT).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My apologies for the bump, but I'd like to share my thoughts on the most intense flat of all time: Extasy.

Extasy is a VERY INTENSE Soriani and Moser Energy Storm located at Wiener Prater in Vienna, Austria. It has a 5 and 1/2 minute cycle, bewilderingly fast spinning, ridiculously insane sustained laterals, blaring music, lights, fog, and sustained hangtime. Very often, it will combine all of the above to completely disorient the rider. A single ride on it kicked my A$$, leaving me exhausted and nauseous afterwards. Yet at the same time, I loved it for kicking my A$$.

All right, time for some photos and an off ride video I took. My dad and I's facial expressions at the end of the video pretty much sum everything up.

ExtasySign0001.jpg.d358dc7bb6cf708ee077eed8e20ca120.jpg

Are you ready to lose one of your nine lives?

ExtasyWarn0001.jpg.c017e5ff645641f14f5efe6b92609632.jpg

NOTED! Seriously, this thing is completely insane.

ExtasyBlur0001.jpg.283ef63e70722186c66b2303d3fb31f9.jpg

Sorry for the blur, it spins REALLY F**KING FAST!

ExtasyFog0001.jpg.8974fbac8647c5674ebcab1c95d8d0ef.jpg

The fog machine doing its job.

ExtasyHang0001.jpg.91b2a9d48cbbc1bd9bc0f40feda4eac6.jpg

CRAZY! CRAZY!!!

AfterExtasy0001.jpg.55afa75de7157fd324528f4d58877651.jpg

After getting my A$$ handed over to me, I spent a half-hour in this position.

Edited by Blue Fire Guy

I thought Swingshot at Kennywood was better than Skyhawk at Cedar Point, largely because it felt like I was falling out in the former. It seemed to get better airtime for whatever reason. Strange because the one at CP is bigger (and supposedly the biggest in the world?).

Giant Frisbees win for me; MaXair is still my favorite flat.

I have recently become a huge fan of the skyscreamer clones, anyone with me?

I find the Skyscreamers to be fun, but Chance Revolutions are still my favorite flat. They seem to pack a lot of airtime in if you find the right seat on a Revolution with the right program.

I thought Swingshot at Kennywood was better than Skyhawk at Cedar Point, largely because it felt like I was falling out in the former. It seemed to get better airtime for whatever reason. Strange because the one at CP is bigger (and supposedly the biggest in the world?).

Giant Frisbees win for me; MaXair is still my favorite flat.

Yes, I believe Skyhawk is the tallest in the world. I thought Thunder 'n' Lightning at Lake Compounce had awesome airtime and scared the crap outta me, lol.

Absolute favorite flat? Oooh, tough call. Power Surge at Knoebels is definitely waaay up there. Black Widow at Kennywood is incredible, and would probably be my favorite...

but no matter how amazing a flat ride is...I don't think anything yet beats a good classic Huss Enterprise for me. I don't know why, but I could just ride one all day long...

The sky flyer at Rye Playland offers some crazy hang time. That is also helped by the fact that the restraints are oddly designed shoulder harnesses that rest on your chest and stomach instead of your lap allowing you to come a good 2-4 inches out of your seat while inverted! A hands up/off ride is truly insane!

My favorite flats would have to be:

Allan Herschell Looper (think Knoebels one)

Flyers

Any drop tower

Huss Frisbee

Afterburner

S&S Sky Swat ( think Catapult at SFNE)

Bumper Cars

Huss Troika

Calypso

Starflyer

Windseeker

Zamperla Power Surge

Least favorite flats are:

Roll o Plane

Chance Chaos

Chance Yo Yo

Zamperla Mini Pirate Ship

• 1 month later...

^ Disko is certainly one of my favorite "newer" flat rides.

In my old age (lol) I can't really handle flat rides that flip upside down a lot. I've never even ridden a Top Spin, just looking at them makes me ill. And my favorites used to be the Hammerhead and Zipper when I was growing up.

I still think my favorite flat ride is the Tilt A Whirl.

Drop towers have been, still are, and will always be my favorite type of flat rides. Intamin DT's preferred.

Having said that, I rode my first true Huss top spin at Kings Dominion back in August. It's been a while since I've come off of a ride disoriented, and this ride did the job! I absolutely loved it! I also loved that fact that a lot of people were too scared to get on, which left the line often fairly short!

Inward and outward spin and swinging rides are also one of my top faves. Although, the smaller Fireball at the Kentucky State fair had a really exciting ride cycle, while Delirium at Kings Island was okay. Delirium took forever to get up, imo, and it didn't stay up there for very long.

The freedom within the cages of the Enterprise ride as you loop upside down multiple times is almost unbeatable. Too bad there aren't too many of them out there.

I can't think of many others at the moment, but my list goes on. Pretty much any flat-ride that fit the category of being wild, crazy, and/or disorienting are great in my book (unless stated otherwise).

Gyro swings/frisbees are probably my favourite flat, with Diskos being a close second. Something about the undulating motion is just simple yet incredibly fun.

But do water rides count as flats? Because if so river rapids are easily at the top of the list.