TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A question to all that have been on both TOT's

Don't forget the fact that MGM's Tower has an ending scene that unloads you at a completely different place! And you get that cool little movie and then the basement scene before you exit. It always bugged me on DCA's that the beginning and end were pretty much the same. It made it seem more like just a ride than an experience. MGM's feels more complete.

Also, the awesome TV-turning-off-effect that happens at the end of the 5D room. And how there's no narration over the ghost hallway scene, making it way creepier. And how they actually themed the exit area.

Yeah, MGM's craps all over DCA's. No contest, seriously.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

^I'm sorry but they are VERY different.

Come on, when the WestCoaster crew gets back and basically finally admits how much more awesome the Florida one is, you know that the DCA one really must suck!

...unless you're a hallway enthusiast!

I'm not a hallway enthusiast, but aside from comparing DCA's Tower from MGM's do you really think that DCA's sucks? Just wondering.

^I feel it could have been better, but it's not. I know even when they add more drop sequences it still will not be better then MGM's. There are some things they can do to improve the look of the ride. (The lighting) But there are some things I don't think they are going to try and change. (Having seperate load/unload stations)

DCA's version doesn't suck. It's just DCA's is a very good ride, while MGM's is a more complete, excellent experience.

I honestly didn't think I'd be as impressed with MGM's as I was. It just goes to show all the little details add up in the long run.

I also forgot to mention that MGM's tower loads a hell of a lot quicker. At DCA's, it takes FOREVER to get on the elevator when you're on the number markers.

I have been on both versions. I prefer the Florida version for one reason, the random drop profiles.

I know DCA is getting them soon enough, so I'm not sure which will be better. The mirror room in DCA's is awesome. The Florida version had the great queue line which really builds the story up. It's a tough decision, but as many have stated before, no way does the DCA version suck.

-RD

Its not the drop sequences that make Florida better for me, its the overall atmosphere. I like how when the elevator doors open, you get into an elevator, and not a hallway. I don't even think in the Twilight Zone you'd see elevator doors open and you'd be in a hallway. (and an extremely unthemed hallway to boot!). I also love the 5th dimension (because that explains how you end up in the "Twilight Zone", rolling right into the shafts that disappeared) and how at the end you end up in the hotel basement, and not right back where you started. Its always fun to see the doors open and its a totally different "bellman" standing there.

I don't think DCAs is bad by any means. Its a great themed drop ride, but usually you improve upon the original the second time around. In DCA's case, it looks like they cut a lot of corners and ended up with a "cheap" version.

I'm a huge MGM ToT fan. During my college program I was lucky enough to go on a tour of the attraction including the 5th Dimension! Since then I've fallen in love with the attraction...I'll never forget that

I wanted to fall in love with the DCA version just like I did with the original, but of course it didnt happen. However, when you ignore that there is another, DCA's is still a pretty strong attraction that other theme parks would kill for...even with its quirks.

My favorite aspects of the DCA ride are

1. The quick walk for fastpass returnees. I love the garden queue at MGM, but ease of access at DCA is awesome when you've already experienced it before and you are looking to on quickly.

2. The lighting effects in the drop (well the only) shaft. Im not talking about the little montage things...Im talking about the actually lights in the shaft. next time you ride look up and you will see all the lights in the shaft go on and off, flash, etc during your climbs and drops. This really surprised me cause i never noticed this in the MGM version.

Unfortunately, thats about all the good I have the DCA version. To me it seems that the line moves a lot slower on this one due to the lack of a true "circuit" that the ride vehicles are completing. The hallway sucks, the lack of a 5th dimension sucks, etc. But still its all in comparison to the original. Granted I still think most people would argue...WHY A HALLWAY!