A question to all that have been on both TOT's

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

^I'm sorry but they are VERY different.

Come on, when the WestCoaster crew gets back and basically finally admits how much more awesome the Florida one is, you know that the DCA one really must suck!

...unless you're a hallway enthusiast!

I havent been on the florida one, but I would think that it would be better. I have seen some shows on the travel channel about WDW and it seems that their TOT is more advanced, dosent it actually move along a track at some point and go to a different shaft for the drop?

Yeah, and that reminds me of a good story...

A few weeks ago when we were there with Non-German Tom we went on for his first ride ever. As we get to the '5th Dimension' and the elevator moves out of the shaft he freaks out and was like 'OMG, it moves out of the shaft, wow, that's amazing'. And I've seen people do that all along. DCA's TOT is not much different than Maliboomer!

The most amazing thing about florida's TOT is there actually is NO track during the fifth dimension part. The ride vehicle's have a sensor that passes over electrical transmitters embedded in the floor of the ride, this controls the ride vehicles and guides them through the journey to the drop tower itself. Then in the drop tower, every ride can be different, as it is randomly generated. This is an awsome ride, no doubt.

I'll let ya know next month when I get back from DCA. I'm surprised the newer versions of the tower aren't going to have a "5th dimension" style portion to the ride. I find it to be one of the major elements that makes ToT the great ride it is.

^I'm sorry but they are VERY different.

Come on, when the WestCoaster crew gets back and basically finally admits how much more awesome the Florida one is, you know that the DCA one really must suck!

Yeah... I mean, here's the thing. DCA's ride is good. Good drop profile... decent show... but there's just too much that is akward with it. If Florida's ride had never been built, DCA's Tower wouldn't get the negative attention that it gets now. But it really is a case of building a half-assed ride after you've hit a home run previously with the Florida Tower.

The issue is this. DCA's Tower has no creepy/cool ambiance to it. It's just there. There's no build up... there's no surrounding area to really reinforce that hey... this is an old beat up building. Even inside... it's too bright and "new". Whereas in Florida... it's dark... and just looks like it's been beat to all sh*t.

The libraries... I prefer DCA's. The added effect of the timed strobe in the window to match the lightning on the TV is just subtle and great. After that... the boiler rooms... NO COMPARISON!

Florida - Dark, creepy... it LOOKS like a boiler room.

California - "Did I just step into Toon Town?" Sure it's nice... but I've never seen boilers that were lit in pinks, blues and purples. The split level works... but the thing is... well... I'm jumping ahead of myself.

Next up would be the loading areas... obviously Florida wins... the random motors that actually spark and fire up when the elevator's coming down... it's not lit like Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin... then... when the doors open! Oh my god... an elevator. DCA... a hallway. Now... DCA *COULD'VE* made more sense if they'd gone with the idea of what they'd done in Tokyo with the sliding wall revealing the "hidden passageway" to a secret elevator. THAT would make sense. But no... you get two sets of elevator doors. RE-TAR-DED! I used to try and excuse it away... but seriously... it's just retarded.

The shows... yeah. DCA's show is different... but WDW's just has more to it... it makes more sense. And the random drop profiles (which DCA has now pushed back until late 2006-early 2007 due to the popularity of Monsters Inc) just make it that much better.

I still like DCA's tower. But it's just not nearly as good as WDW's on SOOOOOO many levels. Which is sad... and very frustrating. But what're ya gonna do? Either way... WDW and DCA's towers will both be crapped on by TDS' tower when it opens later this year. The queue, pre-show, storage warehouse and ride show is just awesome! Oh well... that's just my $0.02...

I know how we can settle which TOT is better. We have a TPR trip to both parks to ride them with in a few days of each other. Then we will be able to tell which is the better Tower. Better yet, we can wait a few years and then we can hit the TOT in Tokyo and Paris too. At that point we might as well hit Hong Kong so we can compare all the rides at all the Disney parks.

So when do we start planning an around the world trip to hit all the Disney parks?

Jim summed it up pretty well.

I remember trying to figure out what the deal was with DCA's purple boiler.

I was able to ride them both within about 6 months of each other and yeah....Florida's is the champ (for now).

Both great rides, just one is superior.

DB

Gisco,

So funny that you mention that!

We actually have a price and itinerary for our TPR Disney Around the World Trip!!!!

It's going to be insane! Details will be announced sometime later this year or next. We have a lot of TPR Trips in the works, just need to get through the first one this summer before going full on!

I have been on both a couple of times over the last 2 years and I like both of them, I will admit that I like the WDW version slightly more. I think that the 5th dimension part is dumb and the drops are much more surpising at DCA since that part is missing. I think that the drops are what makes this ride so fun.

I would give TOT at DCA a 9 and TOT at WDW a 9.5.

I've only ridden Florida's ToT once. When DCA's opened, after my first ride, I got off and thought, "That's it?" It seemed very short; the lack of the 5th Dimension Room really made an impact.

Funny thing is that I never really gave any thought to the hallway between the doors, but once I noticed it, I thought that surely they could have concealed it better or something.

It's too bad that the Florida version couldn't have been duplicated here in California, but, whatever.

Eric

From what I understand, everything (queue not included) about the DCA version was supposed to be an improvement over MGM. The faster load/unload, sharper effects during the ride experience, higher capacity due to a third shaft. I also heard that Imagineers have always been frustrated with the 5th-dimension room and that keeping the show in one shaft was something they were striving for. So, in essence, it should have been the premiere Tower experience. Personally, I don't see how these things were improvements if they ruined the overall effect of the ride. I do love how our Tower seems to hide behind the Backlot and suddenly appears out of nowhere. It's a different kind of creep factor, rather than overshadowing everything at the end of the street like MGM. Still, as much as I love our Tower, I can't help but feel there should be something more.

My opinions on DCAs tower.

1. The hallway inbetween the door and the elevator. I honestly forget that its there. I've been on it almost 50 times (I'm at 49 right now) and I usually just forget that the hallway even exists.

2. The Mirror Scene. I love the mirror scene. Some people complain saying that its just the thermal imaging scene from test track. So? That doesn't make it bad. I think its a really cool effect, mostly because its interactive and the elevator you see is actually a real car.

3. The corridor scene. I prefer ours because it doesnt have a Twilight Zone intro reference in it (window smashing). I think its kinda cheese and I love the way that ours sets up for the drop.

4. The Drop. I admit that ours needs a profile update and we are supposed to be getting one this summer with the debut of rockit mountain. And yes it is the random drop sequences.

5. The lack of 5th dimension. I think the 5th dimension is kinda a wtf effect. And just inserts more stuff from the twilight zone intro into the ride, which it doesnt need. The lack of it also makes it more reliable since you can make it go down if you drop a map onto it.

6. The boiler room. I will admit that I would love if if it was darker. But I still love it. Its HUGE. I also like Mr. Boiler mostly because of the symbolism. Its obviously a face but the ladder represents a tear because of the current state of the hotel. Also you can see that the person inside the furnace died.

7. The flaws of DCAs tower.

a. The elevators are in the wrong spot. You enter from the front but the elevators are to your right, there should also be three.

b. You move backwards into the original shafts. Thats not right, however, MGMs doesnt work right either.

8. The flaws of MGMs tower.

a. You move forward from the service elevator shaft into the original shaft. The Service elevator would not have to move forward THAT much.

b. Sign placement. If the sign were originally right there it wouldnt be there anymore because that part of the building got blown up.

^ I find the Boiler face just too cartoony.

The reason why the 5th dimension in DCA does not impress me is it's rather weak on letting you know you have stepped in the Twilight Zone. Having the car move forward and seeing a bunch of images from the Twilight Zone and the ghosts of the hotel has a much bigger impact.

I also like having the mirror for MGM's corridor scene, it makes the room more three dimentional.