TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video compression

Carnage

What codecs/programgs,etc do you use to compress your video for web use?

I've just about finished my first video from my new camcorder. But I'm just playing around right now trying to get a small enough version made that can go on my website. So I'd like to get the smallest file size, while still maintaining decent quality.

All my past videos have just been of a digital-camera, so compression really hasn't been an issue before now.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one point I had tested several different codecs. What I found was, in order for your videos to get the most exposure, you needed to choose a codec that could work in virtually every machine configuration. I found that the lowest common denominator was your stadard "MPEG-1" format that plays in evey version of Windows Media Player.

While it might not be as high of quality as some other codecs out there, I rarely get emails saying someone couldn't play our videos. And that's really our goal. We want EVERYONE who clicks on our videos to be able to view them with the least amount of hassle as possible. As soon as you get that message of 'codec not installed' from Windows Media Player and you have go searching the internet to find one, most people just give up.

I got a copy of a program that as far as I know is called "Panasonic MPEG encoder" and it's a plug-in for Adobe Premiere. I know that several film studios use (or at least used) this program to compress some downloadable trailers, and that's what we use to and I will continue to use it until something just as good and low hassle comes along.

--Robb

Another thing I have seen done is to just package the video in a zip/rar and include the codec with it, along with a simple readme about how to install it...for those who may not know.

It all depends on what you're going for. If you want best compression and compatibility, go with what Robb is saying. If you want better output quality at the expense of a larger file (this is very important when it comes to hosting), you may want to try a lossless codec like Xvid or Divx.

Here is an example of Xvid. I made this movie in Vegas 5.0. It is 83 MB, 3:38 seconds long, in .avi format.

I should warn you all, it is not a coaster movie...its a video game 'pwnage' movie from Day of Defeat, a WWII shooter that I play. I havent used Vegas for digital video yet, cause I lack a DV cam Just wanted to show off the output quality of Xvid.

Clicky!

If you are shooting for the widest audience, this is probably the order

MPEG - works on everything

WMV - must have wmv codec installed. very popular and common

MOV - Quicktime. Very popular on MACs but only on about 50% of PCs

RM - Real Player. Used to be very popular but has fell off in recent years

DIVX - Up and coming. The MP3 of video codecs. Great quality and small files

I have been using WMV for a couple years and haven't run into too many problems. I have a custom setting in Vegas that exports 300kbps video and the final product is about 2MB per minute.

Ok Divx and Xvid are not lossless at all. To be lossless you can't lose ANY data from the original.

MOV and AVI are not a single type of codec they are wrappers and can represent many different kinds of compression types.

MOVs will play on any version of quicktime but that limits them to Macs and Windows. (although many will play in VLC and Mplayer)

WMV can be several different kinds of compression and keep in mind that this doesn't work well except on windows. Anything WMV3 can only play on Windows Media Player which only works on Mac or Windows again (and only runs well on Windows).

MPEG is a standard that will work on anything. MPEG4 is another great standard and Quicktime Pro will allow you to work with it. Great great stuff for the price. (MPEG1 will work on almost anything and MPEG4 works on near everything although I don't know if WMP supports it... MS never likes standards though...)

Divx is a closed standard that requires you download a codec. It works well but is slightly undesireable because nothing supports it natively except VLC and Mplayer.

Xvid is basically an opensource Divx but it is even less common than Divx. Limited compatibility is a bad thing.

Real Player is extremely disliked these days and I wouldn't suggest using it period unless someone asks you for it.

I think most of that is accurate. If not someone can correct me. MPEG is a good direction to go though as most any player supports it.

Yeah REal would never be an option. I despise real player.

Mov would also be out as I really don't like Quicktime.

I've been using wmv for the past while, and will probably be my choice for now.

Though I'll probably experiment with mpg and see what kind of quality/file size I can come up with.

Well, ok...not TRULY lossless, but the point I was trying to make is that Xvid and Divx will warrant the best output quality at the price of higher file size and less compatibility.

All the people/production groups that make DoD frag movies use Xvid. It is, generally viewed as the gold standard with them, so I know if I post a movie in the DoD Movies forum, I want have to worry about compatibility, because everyone already has that particular codec...just kind of assumed it was that way outside of my little circle, too....but Im a n00b.

This is your best bet - download RAD Video Tools. It not only converts video into all sorts of formats, but converts audio and images, and is FREE! Just looking at converting to AVI right now, you have about 15 different AVI choices, including a decent DivX codec. This is useful for those of you (like me) that take footage with their digital cameras (which usually film in MOV formats), and use Windows Movie Maker.