TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amazing water slides

Never rode it but I heard about the Bomb Bay slide at Wet 'n Wild Orlando where the rider stands up inside this 'missile' and they open up the bombay doors below, releasing the person down the slide. That would be scary, yet fun.

http://www.wetnwild.com/orlando/Main/Main.asp?ContentID=1&CategoryId=4&SubCategoryId=1

Probably my favorite slide I"ve been on so far was actually a 2 person slide at WaterWorld Concord. We almost lost it due to how intense it was. (Ok, it's intense if you have a 300 pounder riding with you). We actually put our hands out to try to slow the thing down because we were riding walls even on drops. Luckily, the slide was enclosed. When we hit the splash pool below, we were ejected off our rafts and into the water. And as a sidenote, the 300 pounder was one of my friends. Also, riding the halfpipe with a heavier person's always great too.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure that it could be done today. But with the public today, many people would be taken the park to court with every little injury.

go figure, y'know? I mean, don't forget tthat the same thign happened with rollercoasters. Flip flap raliway and loop de loop were the worl'ds firs tlooping coasters. loop de loop caused injuries and flip flap railway pulled 12Gs(thats fatal). so nobody dared build loops for years to come, but then in the 1970s Anton schwartskopf(RIP) built Revolution - the world's first coaster with a safe, working vertical loop, and since then they've been popping up like mushrooms.

Typhoon at SFNE is awesome, and I still think Zoombabwe is a top, top water slide. Both are better than many roller coasters! I also love the Tornadoes...

But as for the most amazing water slide, it's got to be 'Twin Peaks' at Aqua Paradise, part of the Canevaworld complex in Italy. Aqua Paradise is next to Movie Studios, which is 5 mins from Gardaland.

The water park is excellent, with loads of unique attractions, including an underground, pitch black rubber ring ride, some slides which 'sling' you outwards, but by far the most crazy is Twin Peaks.

Imagine a speed-slide, with a bunnyhop at the end. And then imagine riding it in a 2-person raft. It's CRAZY! The first drop is terrifyingly thrilling, and you can get a ton of air on the bunnyhop. Incredible ride.

I did my best to take a video of it, but it's kind of hard to convey exactly what the ride does:

Twin Peaks.zip

Twin Peaks Water Slide

go figure, y'know? I mean, don't forget tthat the same thign happened with rollercoasters. Flip flap raliway and loop de loop were the worl'ds firs tlooping coasters. loop de loop caused injuries and flip flap railway pulled 12Gs(thats fatal). so nobody dared build loops for years to come, but then in the 1970s Anton schwartskopf(RIP) built Revolution - the world's first coaster with a safe, working vertical loop, and since then they've been popping up like mushrooms.

The comparison doesn't really work though. A loop on a roller coaster can be controlled. The train will hit the loop at pretty much the same speed every time, the riders can't really affect how the train handles,etc.

On a water slide designers don't have that same kind of control. The speed of a rider can very greatly with the size,weight,riding style,etc.

So it would be next to impossible to make a looping water slide that would work all the time.

Typhoon at SFNE is awesome, and I still think Zoombabwe is a top, top water slide. Both are better than many roller coasters! I also love the Tornadoes...

But as for the most amazing water slide, it's got to be 'Twin Peaks' at Aqua Paradise, part of the Canevaworld complex in Italy. Aqua Paradise is next to Movie Studios, which is 5 mins from Gardaland.

The water park is excellent, with loads of unique attractions, including an underground, pitch black rubber ring ride, some slides which 'sling' you outwards, but by far the most crazy is Twin Peaks.

Imagine a speed-slide, with a bunnyhop at the end. And then imagine riding it in a 2-person raft. It's CRAZY! The first drop is terrifyingly thrilling, and you can get a ton of air on the bunnyhop. Incredible ride.

I did my best to take a video of it, but it's kind of hard to convey exactly what the ride does:

good footage. Ive been on a slide like that in Turkey.

Im sure that it could be done today. But with the public today, many people would be taken the park to court with every little injury.

Don't forget- Flip Flap Railway had NO upstops. I don't think you would want it to slow down before going through a loop. That's why it went through the loop very quickly. There were broken neck injuries due to the high speed, but as far as I know, no one died on it.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorites are:

Congo River Rapids @ Wild Rivers in Irvine

Bombay Blasters @ Wild Rivers in Irvine

Nairobi Express @ Wild Rivers

Drop Out @ Raging Waters in San Dimas

Raging Rivers (RIP) @ Raging Waters in San Dimas

High Extreme @ Raging Waters in San Dimas

---Brent

I got on SFNE's Typhoon twice last summer and the line was usually 45 minutes or so. Probably one of my favorite waterslides. That, and Summit Plummet at WDW.

SFNE's Hurricane Harbor has consistently added new slides over the last few years, great waterpark. Great variety of slides.

I second Bomb Bay at Wet n Wild, I remember the attendant telling me to jump up and he would press the button to open the floor, definitely cool!!

I've seen that looping waterslide on other forums and people just can't believe it's real, but it definitely appears there was a crack out there who actually built this, I would love to hear from someone who rode this what it felt like, it looks like a slide you would see in a Simpsons go to the waterpark episode.

I second Bomb Bay at Wet n Wild, I remember the attendant telling me to jump up and he would press the button to open the floor, definitely cool!!

I've seen that looping waterslide on other forums and people just can't believe it's real, but it definitely appears there was a crack out there who actually built this, I would love to hear from someone who rode this what it felt like, it looks like a slide you would see in a Simpsons go to the waterpark episode.

We had a conversation about this slide over dinner at 'Ohana! I found another pic of it while searching the web.

-Julie

The same photographer also made this pic (didn't see it in this topic yet). It's not alot, but it's another pic of the same slide

I also managed to find some quotes from people who actually went down this thing! (and some other 'rides 'n slides' there)

I actually had the chance to ride that slide! It was a long time ago when we drove up to New York. We saw Phantom of the Opera (GREAT SHOW, I might add), and when it was over, we went to our hotel in Vernon. It was the big hotel at the bse of the mountain. Pretty nice...and we had planned going to Action Park. Anyways, we went, and when we arrived the next morning, the slide was closed. We stared at it like "What the heck?! A loop?!" Anyway, we did most of the park and on our way back down to the lodge, we noticed it was open. I volunteered to ride it, and it was a quite stupid choice.

It was horrible. The tube was very small and had no ventilation whatsoever. All you could smell was Chlorine and feel intense heat. Anyway, the loop os so small and the water is running so fast at the bottom of the drop that the water makes it around on one side. Well, I went down...gained a LOT of speed, hurt my back, hit the loop, got the most intense whiplash ever, went around the loop with more G's than a Flying Dutchman loop, and skidded into the splashdown pool. At least I can say I did it. Never felt the need to do it again.

Also, Action Park was an excellent waterpark! The slides were very creative and very well worked into the land...especially the Colorado River Run and the Sewer Slides. Colorado River Run is a FAST family raft. Sewer Slides are wide, single person tube slides that are open for the first half, and drop underground for the second half and has dripping water like a sewer. I loved the entire park except for the looping one.

Also, Action Park was considered the most dangerous because there were so many accidents when it was still Action Park. Their Cliff Dive was a literal cliff dive. You went up to a ledge, a lifeguard told you when it was safe, and you jumped 50 feet into a 15 ft pool below! The pool was also a huge swim area and people watched as people fell. Really great free-fall. Screw the SCAD Dive! This one has no harness to hold you in place. Still, the slides dropped into very deep water. Waterparks nowadays drop you into only 3 feet of water...but Action Park would splash down into 10 or more feet. That was the main problem. I want to make a trip back to see what Intrawest has done to the place. Also, they had an EXCELLENT Alpine slide...Intrwest took it out 2 years ago. I go Skiing at Mountain Creek at least once a year, and the ski runs are away from the waterpark, except for one. But that one passes about 5 slides and that's it. I couldn't see anything else.

and this one:

I went to NJ's Action Park one Summer, around 1983/84 or so... they did have a waterslide with a loop. I'm not sure if this is the "inverted" slide you have heard about. The slide was simply a blue tube with a loop at the bottom. I think the start of the slide was about 4 stories tall with the loop being about 20 or so feet tall. The weight requirement was 150 pounds, as you need that much to gain enough velocity to make it around the loop. I asked the attendant if anyone had ever not cleared the loop. He said that one time a girl did not make it through. When opened the trap door at the base of the loop, and she crawled out laughing. I suppose she's lucky that she wasn't pulled out with a broken neck! Riding it was an interesting experience. At the beginning, there was a horizontal bar across the top of the slide that you would use to "swing" on to get maximum momentum. You slide feet first, on your back. Since it was totally enclosed, it was dark. As you slide down, then enter the loop, it's hard to tell that you actually go upside-down... it feels like you're making turns (which, you sort of are). It didn't end in a pool... it ended on a flat surface, with about 3 or 5 inches of water to stop you. I remember exiting the loop, stopping in the water, standing up, then sitting right back down, as it was pretty disorienting. Overall, a cool experience. My back was rubbed red a bit, but that was it. I only did it once. I returned the next year, and it was in pieces, being removed. Looking back, I wish I did it twice. I understand why it was removed, however. If you only make it up part of the loop, you could fall off of the "floor", hit the "roof", and fall down head first back into the base of the loop. Their "safety proceedures" included an attendant at the base that would signal the upper attendant that the slider came out of the other end. It sure wouldn't be fun to slide down and run into a person stuck in the base, right?!?

Thought it was funny to find some more info on this thing. Looking at the height of the slide I can imagine the speed (if you were to make it) should be very fast inside the loop.. I actually think alot of people made it through : P It's just that the 'horror' stories are more interesting.. teehee.

• 1 month later...
my favorite water slide would have have to be the green extreme at NRH20 in North Richland Hills,Texas. It's the biggest watercoaster in the world but nobody knows about it because its stuck in a crappy park. Yes, it's taller than Master Blaster.

picture?

I have to agree with a few people on here about Bombay at Wet 'n' Wild in Orlando.

The first time I went on it the attendent said "Make sure you're behind the red line"... so naturally I looked down. As I did she dropped the floor... the only thing you heard from me on the way down was a few choice curse words towards the attendent.

Overall it's a great ride and I've done it many times since.

Also, at Adventure Island (Busch Gardens Africa's water park) they have a ride called "Everglides"

You climb the stairs and grab this little yellow plastic raft that you sit on. You place it on a horizontal platform that has "Rollers" on them. You inch yourself forward and hold onto the handlebars on the side of the yellow raft. The attendent presses a button and the platform tilts forward to about 45°... you fly down the slide, level out and skip across a pool of 3ft deep water... sort of like a stone skipping across the water. It's really fun.

Thanks to Theme Park Review for these photos

Their new ride, "Riptide", is fun as well.

It's a waterslide composed of 4 slides. You grab your raft and go down the slide on your stomach. The first two slides go into a helix towards the left, and the last two go into a helix towards the right. The helixes are enclosed... they all meet up in the middle and then the slides aren't enclosed anymore... you then go down a double dip (Racing your friends or strangers) and level out and come to a stop.

Thanks to Adventureisland.com for this pic... even though it's a crappy pic

Oh, also the one in my sig

my favorite water slide would have have to be the green extreme at NRH20 in North Richland Hills,Texas. It's the biggest watercoaster in the world but nobody knows about it because its stuck in a crappy park. Yes, it's taller than Master Blaster.

Yeah it's not the biggest in the world, the ones at Schlitterbahn are larger .. but it is a little crappy nice park.

I have to agree with a few people on here about Bombay at Wet 'n' Wild in Orlando.

The first time I went on it the attendent said "Make sure you're behind the red line"... so naturally I looked down. As I did she dropped the floor... the only thing you heard from me on the way down was a few choice curse words towards the attendent.

Overall it's a great ride and I've done it many times since.

Also, at Adventure Island (Busch Gardens Africa's water park) they have a ride called "Everglides"

You climb the stairs and grab this little yellow plastic raft that you sit on. You place it on a horizontal platform that has "Rollers" on them. You inch yourself forward and hold onto the handlebars on the side of the yellow raft. The attendent presses a button and the platform tilts forward to about 45°... you fly down the slide, level out and skip across a pool of 3ft deep water... sort of like a stone skipping across the water. It's really fun.

Thanks to Theme Park Review for these photos

Their new ride, "Riptide", is fun as well.

It's a waterslide composed of 4 slides. You grab your raft and go down the slide on your stomach. The first two slides go into a helix towards the left, and the last two go into a helix towards the right. The helixes are enclosed... they all meet up in the middle and then the slides aren't enclosed anymore... you then go down a double dip (Racing your friends or strangers) and level out and come to a stop.

Thanks to Adventureisland.com for this pic... even though it's a crappy pic

Oh, also the one in my sig

Oh, we had one of those at our home park up to not so long ago. an amusement aprk, not a water park. it asnt been oeprating in years, though. rumor says some kid died on it. on one hand I doubt thats true, ont he other, I dont see why else would it be closed all of a sudden if they had no intention of tearing it down?

anmyhow, it has now been replaced with wo other slides, not nearly as steep and cool, but they should take the pressure off the rest of the slides, who usually have too lonmg aof a line.

• 1 month later...