TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters that haven't aged well...

You know, Magnum XL 200 was the big coaster everyone was making a big deal about when it debuted at CP in 1989, but it seems it's becomming more and more of a trivial coaster as the years go on. Sure, some people still like it, but frankly, as I rode it each time in the coming years, it just lost a lot of the zing it used to have.

Come to think of it, it seems almost every Arrow coaster I've heard of has a history of not aging well...the only exception I can think of at the moment is possibly Vortex at PKI.

Any wooden coaster by the Summers/Dinn company seems to have the same problem of deterioration, of course that might be due to the parks putting trim brakes all over the things.

What coasters do you all think haven't aged gracefully?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Predator at Darien Lake- when the park is packed and Superman has an hour line you might want to fix your wooden coaster when its walk on! I have never ridden it and not seen someone come off without a bruise! I only ride it when I am with someone who has never been on it!

Movieguy, are you sure that Magnum has really lost its zing or does it just not seem as good because of newer, larger, smoother coasters that have been built since? I still enjoy the coaster myself, but I couldn't really comment on how its aged since I haven't ridden consistent enough.

My pick for a badly aging coaster would be Dragon Fire @ Paramount Canada's Wonderland. An old arrow custom looper. Real rough and lots of headbanging.

DB

Well, I've been on Magnum lots of times in my life. I guess my opinion could be influenced by the fact they have millenium force now, but I remember that ride being pretty wild back in the early 90's, and it just doesn't seem quite at that level anymore.

Then again, I was quite smaller in the earlier days too...

Come to think of it, it seems almost every Arrow coaster I've heard of has a history of not aging well...the only exception I can think of at the moment is possibly Vortex at PKI.

You think Vortex has aged well?? I thought it was one of the most painful rides I've ever been on.

Magnum I love. I find it to be one of those rides that needs to be a bit rough. If it was smooth it'd be boring.

But not everyone can take the pain I guess.

SFDL's Predator. Once, it was one of the best. Now, it's the worst coaster i've ever been on. It feels like you're falling down a flight of stairs the whole way through. Add some major train stacking (one of the trains being empty, usually), and there you have the perfect example of a ride that needs to be torn down.

I don't think Mind Eraser has aged that poorly....it was just constructed poorly in the first place....I don't remember it ever being better.

You think Vortex has aged well?? I thought it was one of the most painful rides I've ever been on.

Magnum I love. I find it to be one of those rides that needs to be a bit rough. If it was smooth it'd be boring.

Agreed on both points.

I usually come off Magnum with bruises on my upper thighs, but I still love it and have a lot of fun on it whenever I ride...and maybe I bruise easily? I found Vortex to be very painful and didn't like it much at all. I've only been on these coasters recently though, so I can't make any comments on how they've aged.

Although this maybe rather contreversial,i believe that the hulk was significantly rougher,and,bacause of that,not as good of a ride,when i rode it in 2005,compared to the first time i rode it.

The first section is fine,with the launch and the section over the lake.But,for the section behind the building,i had my eyes permanentaly closed and got off with a tremendous headache.This ruined for me an otherwise very good ride.

I dont remember that section being that rough when i first rode it.

I know this will probably cause an argument,but,hey,thats just my opinion.

^^^ I've never seen a problem with stacking trains on Predator. In fact, the past few years I've been there, I've only ever seen it running one train. But yes, the riding experience is similar to falling down a flight of stairs.

The worst for me is Mighty Canadian Minebuster at PCW. Maybe it's because they keep reprofiling it, and reprofiling it, and reprofiling it... and reprofiling it.... etc... every time they add a slide to stupid Splashworks. MCM used to be my favorite coaster at PCW, but now it just feels like someone's jackhammering my brain.

The worst for me is Mighty Canadian Minebuster at PCW. Maybe it's because they keep reprofiling it, and reprofiling it, and reprofiling it... and reprofiling it.... etc... every time they add a slide to stupid Splashworks. MCM used to be my favorite coaster at PCW, but now it just feels like someone's jackhammering my brain.

I forgot about Mighty Canadian Minebuster...it used to be one of my favorite coasters also and was pretty smooth when I was a lot younger and before Splash Works was even around. Now I wont even bother riding it.

Id have to say that Mean Streak and Timberwolf (WOF) havent aged well. Major trimming has ruined those coasters. But a coaster that has aged GREAT would be Screamin' Eagle at SFStL!

I fully agree that the Screamin' Eagle has aged quite well. This is her thirtieth year in operation and she is now all white, no red or blue trim. I plan to ride her several times tomorrow as I kick off my coaster season.

ps: I assign genders to coasters and the Eagle is all female in my book. Generous sweeping curves, saves the tallest drop for the third, thus heating up as she's ridden, never leaves a bruise, and has me begging for more

I went to SFGAd today, and Medusa was a little rougher than I remember. It threw me around a bit in the Cobra Roll, and again at the corkscrews at the end.

GASM is getting almost unrideable, they seemed to have turned off the trims after the first loop, and the following loops were rough at the top and had really strong positive G's pushing hard on you. But its still really good. It wasn't that rough in the front of the blue or red trains, but the white one may have been the problem.

Okay, I'm going to try to sleep. I have a headache.