TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The WDW Disney College Program

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished my assessment for attraction (Future world east, The Seas). I didn't get any attractions specific questions in my phone interview, however the phone interviewer did ask which role would be my preference. But like ^ said, DONT expect to get the role you want. Also ONLY sign up for roles that you really wouldnt mind doing. Don't just sign up for custodial cause you think it'll help your chances.

I've been working at Spaceship Earth as a CP for a week now. I definitely was not asked about my ride preference in the interview. I was asked if I would prefer to work indoors vs. outdoors but that's about it. I would also agree with only indicating areas that you truly would like to work in. I only indicated Attractions and Transportation on my application, but I was asked if I would be flexible enough to work in other areas such as merch, foods, and custodial. I said no and I still got the job.

Thanks guys! I got those questions, so that's reassuring. I think going into it, I was expecting questions more like the famous Space Mountain question, and obviously that wasn't the case. I did check off only roles I wanted, so I'll be cool with whatever happens if I get in. I'm definitely trying really hard not to get my heart set on any one thing though!

Hello TPR people...

For some rather strange reason, Disney World has offered myself and a a few of my friends who also applied a place on their International Study Programme thingymabob (I know right! It's a good job they don't read the trip boards on this site much. ) as part of a certificate in Hospitality & Tourism Management by University of California Riverside from July-January this year.

I can't wait to go etc.., but I am quite pooing myself over essentially what will be my first ever job. Obviously I'm not expecting a walk in the park by any means, but as with whenever I try anything new, I'm still extremely nervous about going.

It doesn't help that the role I've been assigned is "Operations/Merchandise", which could pretty much mean ANYTHING in ANY of the parks bar character, lifeguard or restaurant person. Oddly, the 3 friends who I'm going with have all been assigned completely different roles (Filipinan friend got character, Indian-British friend got the hotel one and Ginger friend got lifeguard (they're all girls)).

Anyways, I just thought I'ld might as well ask how people on here got/are getting along with their programmes (especially if you're on an International one)?

Is it a struggle to do all the college/uni work they give you to do (I'm taking an extra online module as well by UCR) whilst also getting in all your work hours and chores as well, or not?

What's your top tips (besides trivial stuff such as "hope you're lucky and get a room mate you like") for the first few weeks when everything is bound to seem a bit mad?

And, possibly most importantly, is the course fun and challenging yet actually manageable?

Thanks if you can answer any of these or have any other general tips/hints (What's the best machine to choose to do your laundry? What seat on the bus to the grocery store is the best to sit on...etc...) for me.

-Mike-

I'm thinking of doing the College Program as well, it won't be until at least next year but it's still in my plans. I am however curious what this famous space mountain question I've been hearing about even is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Also, do you think having experience in working in a theme park and working in the rides department will help at all in getting an attractions role? I know it's highly requested so I wouldn't expect it.

Also, do you think having experience in working in a theme park and working in the rides department will help at all in getting an attractions role? I know it's highly requested so I wouldn't expect it.

Yes.

I requested attractions as well. However, I described a past job experience (working concession stands during the Little League World Series with my mom) which pertained to Merchandise, and that was the role I ended up with.

Not that it's a bad role, mind you. I would much rather be moving around to different stores along Main Street and dancing along with guests during Move It Shake It Celebrate It than be stuck cooped up in a station building.

I'm thinking of doing the College Program as well, it won't be until at least next year but it's still in my plans. I am however curious what this famous space mountain question I've been hearing about even is. Anyone care to enlighten me?
I've heard of a couple versions, but basically a kid wants to ride Space Mountain but is too short or the ride is broken--what do you do? Funny thing is, I heard about that question so much on boards and Facebook that I was pretty much expecting to get it, but I interviewed at both resorts & didn't get it for either. So I guess it just depends on your interviewer.

I've heard of a couple versions, but basically a kid wants to ride Space Mountain but is too short or the ride is broken--what do you do? Funny thing is, I heard about that question so much on boards and Facebook that I was pretty much expecting to get it, but I interviewed at both resorts & didn't get it for either. So I guess it just depends on your interviewer.

Ah ok thanks, who knows maybe they started using it less because of how many people know about it. Sounds like one of the questions from when I got interviewed for Six Flags.

Yes.

I requested attractions as well. However, I described a past job experience (working concession stands during the Little League World Series with my mom) which pertained to Merchandise, and that was the role I ended up with.

Not that it's a bad role, mind you. I would much rather be moving around to different stores along Main Street and dancing along with guests during Move It Shake It Celebrate It than be stuck cooped up in a station building.

I can see how some people would enjoy that sort of interaction with the guests more, I certainly wouldn't mind getting a role like Merchandise at all. I'd just prefer Attractions, I'm already used to the being cooped up in a station part of it ;D

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished my phone interview last night, and I think that it went really well!! I signed up for a few different roles, but I really would be happy to get into any of them. I am so anxious/excited to get my results back. It's going to be a LONG 3-4 weeks!

My friend also just finished her phone interview. So fingers crossed that we both make it in! I was a little worried about my lack of work experience, but my interviewer seemed impressed with my sports activities, and said something about all the positive benefits people get out of being an athlete on teams. So hopefully that helped me out some.

I really want to do this. BUT I had a question for anyone out there that had/has an academic scholarship at their college. Does doing this program interfere with the scholarship at all? I'm going to talk to an advisor next week, but I would love to hear about anyone else's experience in that area as well!

I just finished my phone interview last night, and I think that it went really well!! I signed up for a few different roles, but I really would be happy to get into any of them. I am so anxious/excited to get my results back. It's going to be a LONG 3-4 weeks!

My friend also just finished her phone interview. So fingers crossed that we both make it in! I was a little worried about my lack of work experience, but my interviewer seemed impressed with my sports activities, and said something about all the positive benefits people get out of being an athlete on teams. So hopefully that helped me out some.

I really want to do this. BUT I had a question for anyone out there that had/has an academic scholarship at their college. Does doing this program interfere with the scholarship at all? I'm going to talk to an advisor next week, but I would love to hear about anyone else's experience in that area as well!

It depends on your school. I'm only enrolled for one credit at PSU - the internship itself. I lose all financial aid I would have gotten for the SP11 semester. However, the credit I'm taking keeps my student loans deferred.

I received the introduction letter from Disney today outlining the 'Disney Look', general rules, codes of conduct...etc..., but I'm now quite confused/worried on the dress code...

Dress trousers and a short- or long-sleeved professional-style shirt are required.

The ONLY business-y style clothes that I own is 1 suit, which I bought specifically for the interview as before that I didn't own any business clothes. Otherwise, I just own several different coloured polo shirts, a few t-shirts, jeans and shorts.

So, should I be looking to go out and buy a ton of business/dress shirts and trousers now?

I received the introduction letter from Disney today outlining the 'Disney Look', general rules, codes of conduct...etc..., but I'm now quite confused/worried on the dress code...
Dress trousers and a short- or long-sleeved professional-style shirt are required.

The ONLY business-y style clothes that I own is 1 suit, which I bought specifically for the interview as before that I didn't own any business clothes. Otherwise, I just own several different coloured polo shirts, a few t-shirts, jeans and shorts.

So, should I be looking to go out and buy a ton of business/dress shirts and trousers now?

I brought three button-downs with me. One of my costumes has black dress pants. I checked out two pairs of those black pants, and I've been using the pants as for my "Disney Look" events.

^^Depends on what your role is. If you're a "non-costumed" role then absolutely yes. But other then that if you have a costume you'll need about 3 days worth of dress clothes, give or take a day.

I've been assigned "Operations/Merchandise", so I'm presuming that this fits into the "non-constumed" description?

In that case, I think a shopping trip is in order... Great!

If I remember correctly, I only had to wear dress clothes twice. Once for when we were signing contracts etc and the other for our kind of induction to the park. They were not too strict actually, as long as you look smart, they are ok with it.

^^Depends on what your role is. If you're a "non-costumed" role then absolutely yes. But other then that if you have a costume you'll need about 3 days worth of dress clothes, give or take a day.

I've been assigned "Operations/Merchandise", so I'm presuming that this fits into the "non-constumed" description?

In that case, I think a shopping trip is in order... Great!

You should have a costume. I wouldn't worry about the dress clothes too much after your first few days. Before you go spend a bunch of money I'd just double check with your recruiter

^^yes, I agree. Costumed roles mean you are given a uniform to wear. Custodians, ride operators(like the Star tours or splash mountain outfits), and food service, are all given 'costumes' to wear for their specific assigned area. Maybe you thought characters were the only costumed cast members. You will need a nice business outfit for traditions(orientation) and any other the Disney classes you take, and for any networking/business events.

Hmm, ok, thanks for that Chrissie, Swimace and Joey.

I may go out and buy a couple of shirts and pairs of trousers anyway, just so I'm not wearing the same clothes to class every time!

Otherwise, I might just hang tight for now and buy clothes out there if I find out I need more than I've got...

^ Yeah... its not too strict. I was not in the college program, but I was a CM over the summer and I wore something like a polo shirt and some "dressy" pants. Like everyone mentioned its not bad, in fact, look at yourself in the mirror and as long as you think you look "smart" you'll be fine.