TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The WDW Disney College Program

I'm working Cirque's show as an usher. Nothing thrilling,

I've worked several positions like this, and it's actually a great job... at least when I've done it. Ushering reserved seating theatres is so much easier than GA seating shows. Other than the occasional irate guest who shows up late and is mad because they can't be sat during the opening hold. Another plus is that LaNouba doesn't have an intermission. That will make your job 10X easier.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just applied for the 2009 Spring program and am just waiting to hear back from my academic adviser to tell me my options in regards to taking next semester off to go work for the program before I schedule my interview. Hopefully this will count as a co-op and I am still considered a full time student so I don't have to worry about re-enrollment when I go up to University Park next year. I'm hoping and praying that if I get accepted I get into attractions or transportation or at least something somewhat related to my major which is Mechanical Engineering. Afterall, after this program I'm hoping to apply to one of the company's professional internships for engineering so hopefully everything works out.

• 2 months later...

Well, I just got my acceptance packet in the mail, it only took about 2 months to hear back from Disney. I was offered a role in transportation for the Spring 2009 program, which I'd have to say definitely wasn't my first choice. I told them I wanted to do something related with my major (Mechanical Engineering) and was hoping I'd get put in rides, but things didn't work out as planned. However, since it took them so long to send me my acceptance, I'm really not sure if I'm still going to go. I already have all my classes for next semester picked out so it's definitely gonna take some thinking to decide if this is something I really want to do, considering I'm gonna be a year behind if I take next semester off to go do the college program. I also have to think about what kind of position I'm going to be offered, I mean something like operating the monorail would be REALLY cool, but transportation just seems like a really broad category and I really don't think I'd enjoy myself if I had to drive the parking lot tram all day. I don't know, I have two weeks to reply to them so I'll have a little time to think about it. Does anyone have any suggestions that could make my decision easier?

^^ Actually, Parking is a part of Operations not Transportation.

Transportation roles for College Program participants encompasses monorails and watercraft.

I'd say go for it as you never know what opportunities might present themselves while you are down there. I started my program in Quick Service Foods in Tomorrowland, but was presented with the opportunity to switch to Operations and work at the TTC in Parking. And the cabs of the trams are air conditioned

I wouldnt say role switches are the norm, but they do happen. Plus there are a wealth of seminars, tours, classes etc that you can benefit from, just being on the program. You get out of it, what you put into it.

IMO, transportation seems to fit with mechcanical engineering just as much as working in attractions.

Thanks for the advice haiderodes, I definitely have a lot to consider over the next two weeks. I'm going to have to sit down with my academic adviser at school to see what he thinks. My biggest worry right now is falling so far behind in school, but regardless of what kind of internship I take up, there's always gonna be that chance of having to take a semester off of school. I think this would definitely be something great to be a part of and something that would look really good on my resume when I go to apply to other internships in the future. And after thinking about it a bit, I've come to the conclusion that driving a monorail would be really cool, even though its not a roller coaster.

I know im a newb on this forum but im a regular at IOAcentral. But when i saw this i had to reply, i heard that they are thinking of doing away with this program and i luckily got accepted for Spring of 09 for the attractions job, but i heard this from someone at Disney, who also told me that they don't just take anyone for this program so you should be honored to be chosen for the program. And on the school thing, worse comes to worse yo can do what i do, im taking 4 online classes and that qualifies me as a full-time student.

Hope this helps!

Well It took me some to decide, but I've decided to go down to participate next semester. Even though I'm going to fall behind, who knows when I'd be able to get another chance to do this thing. I'm starting to get really excited about it all. My arrival date is January 12th and I'm going to be driving down all the way from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Haven't heard anything about where I"ll be staying, but I'm hoping to get my deposit in soon so I can at least meet one of my roommates before I go down there. Hopefully transportation is really fun because I'm giving up a lot to go down and participate in this program.

Well It took me some to decide, but I've decided to go down to participate next semester. Even though I'm going to fall behind, who knows when I'd be able to get another chance to do this thing. I'm starting to get really excited about it all. My arrival date is January 12th and I'm going to be driving down all the way from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Haven't heard anything about where I"ll be staying, but I'm hoping to get my deposit in soon so I can at least meet one of my roommates before I go down there. Hopefully transportation is really fun because I'm giving up a lot to go down and participate in this program.

When I was planning to do the program, you don't get a room until you get there. This was 3 years ago, so not sure how much has changed.

• 1 year later...

^ I'm hoping to do a program then too (not sure which one yet).

There is a lot of info in here about the WDW program (which is all really helpful) but does anyone have any info/stories about the Disneyland program? I know it's less popular so there's less info out there, but there has to be something. At the moment, I'm leaning towards that one (mostly because of location), so any info would be very much appreciated!

Edited by tinkerbell

I've applied and been accepted for the WDW College Program (Florida) for this upcoming Fall '10 semester, but now it's not looking like I will be able to go starting this May. I definitely still want to take part in this internship and plan on re-applying for Spring '11! Not only does it look like an amazing experience, but I can also get course credits through my major and minor.

Thanks for the great insight in this thread! Very helpful information!

- Kevin C

^ Just out of curiosity, what's your major/minor? I'm pretty sure my school won't give credit other than internship hours but it would be nice!

Well hello then, my name is Jordan!

Every single person I have talked to said it is amazing, and one of their fondest memories. I certainly am very excited to get out there and experience the world of Disney. I too would be interested in hearing some of the pros and cons of other's experiences with the program.

I'm Claire, nice to meet you!

Yeah I've read so many positive things about it, which makes me really want to do it, but I've also read some really negative things, which makes me a bit hesitant. I guess it's just different for everyone.

^Well Jordan the CP does offer classes for you to take that do go with your major & you can get credits for them but I chose not to take classes because on my days off I want to relax & go to the parks rather than go to class. They also provide housing which are over priced compared to other apartments in the area (I pay $85 a week off my paycheck), however they include free internet, free basic cable, & a car wash area with free air for tires. I extended my program until August & will not be living in the CP housing if two of my current roommates extend as well & want to chip in for a cheaper apartment. I live in Patterson Court (which is the newest & nicest apartment) & have 3 bedrooms with a bathroom in each room, a kitchen area, & a family gathering area. There are 6 of us total. The CP also provides transportation to & from work but I drive my own car. I do not feel comfortable posting my work location on enthusiast sites but I am in attractions (not a roller coaster) & it is a lot of fun (although Jordan, you are my friend on facebook so you know where I work ). Working for Disney is AMAZING & I can't wait to hopefully move up with the company. Here is a video tour of my apartment in Patterson Court. FYI this was taken the second day of my program so it is not as clean now :

Edited by Speeddeamon128