TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The WDW Disney College Program

^ It sounds like you just had a bad experience there.

I always got time off when requested, It said on the cast portal it was denyed but it was always on my schedule. I never heard a complaint from the American CPs either and know of a few who got time off as they were moving apartments.

If you ask enough in advance and then talk to your leaders about it too, then I see no reason why you should't get time off. You don't even really have to ask for vacation time as such, just ask for your days off to be together, ie work the whole week and have Friday,Saturday off and then the next week have Sunday Monday off and then your not loosing any days!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yeah!! Termination is crazy! My friend got terminated on his last hour!! You would think they would just tell him to go home or whatever but he got terminated! lol!!

Also, make sure ur not asking for time off during "peak" periods, ie during special events, holidays, etc!!

So what other tips and things should I know when I go. Since nobody was in Bell Services, I know it would be hard to give info about that, but just stuff in general. Do you get dicounts to Cirque Du soleil? Also, what are the chances you will get a apartment like the one you request.

So what other tips and things should I know when I go. Since nobody was in Bell Services, I know it would be hard to give info about that, but just stuff in general. Do you get dicounts to Cirque Du soleil? Also, what are the chances you will get a apartment like the one you request.

They try their best to put you in the housing you request as far as number of rooms goes. Keep in mind that Vista Way only has 2 and 3 bedroom apartments so if you want 1 or 4 bedrooms, you will more than likely end up at Chatham Square (they have 2 and 3 bedrooms as well). Also, at Vista all the 2 bedrooms are on the third floor...something to think about when packing.

When I was going through the paperwork before I went down in 2003 they were trying this thing where you fill out a questionnaire and they try and place you with similar people. I.E. late night person vs early morning person. I'm still not sure how successful that is, as the people I ended up rooming with were people I was standing next to in line with the same check-out dates (as it had been all the years before then).

Oh, I did bell services. I was hired and drove across the country and statused as front desk, but they refused to train us for 3 months. So they stuck us in bell services for those 3 months, so ask away!

They're okay about giving you the apartment you request. I told them I wanted whatever was cheapest, so I was offered 3 bdrm in Vista or 2 bdrm in Chatham as my only options, and the Chatham was $12 a week more. So I opted for Vista. And I went with a friend, and we ended up rooming together. My other roommates arrived at all hours of the day, so I don't know how we all ended up together.

They try their best to put you in the housing you request as far as number of rooms goes. Keep in mind that Vista Way only has 2 and 3 bedroom apartments so if you want 1 or 4 bedrooms, you will more than likely end up at Chatham Square (they have 2 and 3 bedrooms as well). Also, at Vista all the 2 bedrooms are on the third floor...something to think about when packing.

When I was going through the paperwork before I went down in 2003 they were trying this thing where you fill out a questionnaire and they try and place you with similar people. I.E. late night person vs early morning person. I'm still not sure how successful that is, as the people I ended up rooming with were people I was standing next to in line with the same check-out dates (as it had been all the years before then).

Yeah, they scrapped the questionnaire this most recent season (quite unfortunate, half of my roommates were nightmares), but the CP rep lady at VW said they were going to try to do it for at least next spring, maybe this fall, because she said they had had a ton of complaints about roommates this season, so they're trying to make it that you can get your roommates before hand and at least sort out who's bringing what so you don't have 4 TVs. (We did.)

Alright, here is one. I know you already said it, but it just seems way to easy to be getting paid for it, lol. So the doorman basically just stands at the hotel and opens the door, gives the guest information, and helps unload luggage? And the dispatcher just sends a bellman up? If that is all it is, I don't see why more people do it. I heard not to many people from the College Program end up in that area, so is that a hard one to be chosen for?

Alright, here is one. I know you already said it, but it just seems way to easy to be getting paid for it, lol. So the doorman basically just stands at the hotel and opens the door, gives the guest information, and helps unload luggage? And the dispatcher just sends a bellman up? If that is all it is, I don't see why more people do it. I heard not to many people from the College Program end up in that area, so is that a hard one to be chosen for?

You get bitched at. A lot. Pretty much non-stop, all day, every day. If there aren't enough bellmen there, they have to wait, which is your fault. If they decided to wait until 5 minutes before their bus leaves to try and get to the front of the resort, it's your fault. If their plane was late, it's your fault. If it rained, it's your fault. If they hate their kids, it's your fault. You're the first ones they see. Also, you're usually the first ones that call about anything. I became an expert on anything and everything about the resort before I ever trained for front desk, from housekeeping to rec to busses to food.

Oh, and Disney Magical Express...you'll learn to hate it more than anything else you have ever experienced. See, the DME reps don't bother telling guests that it'll be 3-4 hours (on average) and 5-7 hours (during peak) AFTER they check-in for the luggage to be at the resort. So, when they check-in and their luggage isn't there, guess what? It's your fault. And that one is the worst of them all, because you really can't do anything about it besides apologise a lot. During my last week, I picked up a shift outside, and was even yelled at by a guest for apologising too much and they're just never satisfied. Dispatchers also will receive and organise the DME luggage. Think getting about 100-200 bags every 30-60 min. and having to sort it by guest, write it all down, scan it into the computer, look up gst's room number, and find some bellmen to take it up, as they're usually gone. But when it's not busy, it's a great job. No sitting down ever though. And it's sweltering and you're pretty much SOL.

Bellmen are very tempermental too! They bitch and moan if you go out of order or if someone didn't give them a tip or something, your fault too.

My roommates always felt sorry for me. I came home with insane stories.

Oh, it's not really a hard one to be chosen for, I think they only put CPs in there when they hired too many for hospitality. They usually put the older, retirees as door greeters and the people from other countries that aren't so great at English as the lane greeters. Pretty much every CP I met in bell services (and there weren't many, especially outside of my resorts) had been hired or wanted front desk and got stuck outside. There def. weren't any bell service CPs at Coronado or Caribbean. There was one guy that did DME at Grand. And there were several at Riverside, but not at FQ.

I guess the only thing that really seems bad is the DME. I could deal with annoying guests, I was a lifeguard once at Six Flags. And by the CP got "stuck outside" which position is that?

I guess the only thing that really seems bad is the DME. I could deal with annoying guests, I was a lifeguard once at Six Flags. And by the CP got "stuck outside" which position is that?

Stuck outside in bell services, that is.

Oh, I worked at Six Flags for 2 years. It's not even comparable. Guests are spending thousands and thousands of dollars on their hotel stay vs. $40 for a Six Flags ticket. It's a whole new magnitude.

^ Oh yes, the magnitude is definately greater.

Before I did my CP and subsequent seasonal stints, I had worked in multiple theme park settings while in high school. Nothing could hold a stick to the level of angst and stupidity that Disney World guest exhibited. I thought I had good stories of working at parks at home, but they pailed in comparison to my Disney ones.

I've seen every extreme, from people going out of there way to thank you with W.W.W.D (What Would Walt Do) pins to the other extreme of physical violence. People get so worked up because they have saved all this money and they want everything to be all perfect and they snap when it doesnt.

When I worked out in the MK parking lot we were the first and last people seen for those not staying on property. So we get the riff raff basically, the ones who want it all for nothing. The ones who feel its their duty to circumvent procedures because apparently they know more than Walt and his team of designers did when building the resort.

Those are things that they don't tell you in the presentation, but make the whole thing an eye opening experience. If you only get one thing out of the program, it will be a better understanding of how to deal with people.

With that said, another thing they don't really prepare you for is the interaction with fellow cast members (non CPs). There are some that are really welcoming and helpful, but then you'll run into the few that have a chip on their shoulder. Or you'll have the ones that act like they were there when Walt bought the first piece of land and dug the first ditch.

Its definately an adventure. My roommates and I always joked they should make a reality show about CPs...a lot of it is better than the stuff they show on The Real World.

^ Oh yes, the magnitude is definately greater.

Before I did my CP and subsequent seasonal stints, I had worked in multiple theme park settings while in high school. Nothing could hold a stick to the level of angst and stupidity that Disney World guest exhibited. I thought I had good stories of working at parks at home, but they pailed in comparison to my Disney ones.

I've seen every extreme, from people going out of there way to thank you with W.W.W.D (What Would Walt Do) pins to the other extreme of physical violence. People get so worked up because they have saved all this money and they want everything to be all perfect and they snap when it doesnt.

When I worked out in the MK parking lot we were the first and last people seen for those not staying on property. So we get the riff raff basically, the ones who want it all for nothing. The ones who feel its their duty to circumvent procedures because apparently they know more than Walt and his team of designers did when building the resort.

Those are things that they don't tell you in the presentation, but make the whole thing an eye opening experience. If you only get one thing out of the program, it will be a better understanding of how to deal with people.

With that said, another thing they don't really prepare you for is the interaction with fellow cast members (non CPs). There are some that are really welcoming and helpful, but then you'll run into the few that have a chip on their shoulder. Or you'll have the ones that act like they were there when Walt bought the first piece of land and dug the first ditch.

Its definately an adventure. My roommates and I always joked they should make a reality show about CPs...a lot of it is better than the stuff they show on The Real World.

Okay, thank you. I definitely tried to forget about the non-CPs. A lady that had done DRC since it opened tried to tell me how bell services worked when we were training for front desk (Telling me by screaming at me about DME in the middle of training, even though I had been working on DME for months). Thank goodness the facilitator took her aside and she almost got kicked out of the class.

All in all, it's great for some people. I think there really just needs to be a reality check before people go. I packed up and left in the middle of the night, and most of my building helped me saying that they wished they could leave like me, which is a sad reality. A lot of people quit. Or get terminated, but I was really surprised by how many people quit. But the CP is a factory, they can just churn more people out faster than you can snap your fingers.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought of another question. Is bell services strictly going to be luggage, or do they ever have you do other things that the hospitality roles do? I was reading stuff, and people said they did stuff like front desk, and also bell services. It would be cool to be able to have a bigger variety of things to do. Someone also said they drove a golf cart around and delivered stuff to people. If I got to do that, that would be fun.

I thought of another question. Is bell services strictly going to be luggage, or do they ever have you do other things that the hospitality roles do? I was reading stuff, and people said they did stuff like front desk, and also bell services. It would be cool to be able to have a bigger variety of things to do. Someone also said they drove a golf cart around and delivered stuff to people. If I got to do that, that would be fun.

Bell Services is strictly luggage. The pargo driving role that you're talking about is called the Front Desk Runner. Technically, you must be trained in front desk in order to be a runner. At my resorts, the runners were all front desk people. But I have heard at other resorts, in desperate times, bell services would help out. But just to take like an amenity to a room. They never worked full shifts or anything.

I kinda figured that. Do they ever put you in a area where you get tips? I am not expecting it, but it would be nice to make a little side money for stuff like IOA passes, and stuff. But thanks for all your help. You sure do know alot about what I will be doing. Less then a month to go...

Another tip...be prepared for ANYTHING as a CP. A good part of enjoying the program is just going with the flow.

March 2003

The big "Shock and Awe Campaign" that started the war in Iraq, really sent Disney and CPs for a spin. As a result, a lot of people wanted to leave and go home because they weren't sure what was about to happen with the war starting. Disney started ramping up security and access to backstage areas so it seemed as if something really could happen.

Coincidentally, this was the same time they were filming The Real World Paris and people were acting the same way. Basically, because of the situation, they said if you wanted to leave, you could and not suffer any consequences and would be welcome to reapply in the future. I knew at least 5 people who took advantage of this as they felt it was "safer" to be back at home with their families. For me, leaving wasn't an option. I'm from Las Vegas, which was one of the supposed targets as well, so me leaving wouldn't have made any sense (this was during that whole get-duct-tape-and-canned-food debacle when the terror alert kept rising and falling.)

So what happened is that they ended up recruiting less people for the upcoming season and they consolidated everyone remaining into Vista Way (they closed Chatham). During this time the parking got out of control at Vista, people were getting citations left and right because there simply was no place to park. I remember coming back from clubbing in Downtown Orlando at 3a and having to park across the street in the visitors lot.

Long story short, despite the panic, nothing happened. Sure it was less crowded for a while and they cancelled the "Fun Bus" to the mall, but by mid-summer things picked back up again. It actually worked in my favor as I was able to transfer roles which something that hardly ever happends.

Rumors, however, did run rampant. Some said that Chatham never closed and that it was all a way to keep the Asian internationals away from the general population due to the SARS scare.

In speaking of rumors, you'll get a lot of those...A LOT. How Coca-Cola pays for the College Program. How they are closing Vista Way and building a new complex near Chatham (it ended up being a regular apartment complex, not CP related). How the government pays for the program and everyone was going to get a refund check for their rent. And so on...

Like I said, sometimes you just have to take everything with a grain of salt and just go with the flow. There's less stress that way. Don't get caught up in the rumors.

Another tip...be prepared for ANYTHING as a CP. A good part of enjoying the program is just going with the flow.

March 2003

The big "Shock and Awe Campaign" that started the war in Iraq, really sent Disney and CPs for a spin. As a result, a lot of people wanted to leave and go home because they weren't sure what was about to happen with the war starting. Disney started ramping up security and access to backstage areas so it seemed as if something really could happen.

Coincidentally, this was the same time they were filming The Real World Paris and people were acting the same way. Basically, because of the situation, they said if you wanted to leave, you could and not suffer any consequences and would be welcome to reapply in the future. I knew at least 5 people who took advantage of this as they felt it was "safer" to be back at home with their families. For me, leaving wasn't an option. I'm from Las Vegas, which was one of the supposed targets as well, so me leaving wouldn't have made any sense (this was during that whole get-duct-tape-and-canned-food debacle when the terror alert kept rising and falling.)

So what happened is that they ended up recruiting less people for the upcoming season and they consolidated everyone remaining into Vista Way (they closed Chatham). During this time the parking got out of control at Vista, people were getting citations left and right because there simply was no place to park. I remember coming back from clubbing in Downtown Orlando at 3a and having to park across the street in the visitors lot.

Long story short, despite the panic, nothing happened. Sure it was less crowded for a while and they cancelled the "Fun Bus" to the mall, but by mid-summer things picked back up again. It actually worked in my favor as I was able to transfer roles which something that hardly ever happends.

Rumors, however, did run rampant. Some said that Chatham never closed and that it was all a way to keep the Asian internationals away from the general population due to the SARS scare.

In speaking of rumors, you'll get a lot of those...A LOT. How Coca-Cola pays for the College Program. How they are closing Vista Way and building a new complex near Chatham (it ended up being a regular apartment complex, not CP related). How the government pays for the program and everyone was going to get a refund check for their rent. And so on...

Like I said, sometimes you just have to take everything with a grain of salt and just go with the flow. There's less stress that way. Don't get caught up in the rumors.

Oh, there is a new apartment complex. It's not replacing Vista as far as we were told, but they had it on the Portal. Opening 2008 sometime.

I kinda figured that. Do they ever put you in a area where you get tips? I am not expecting it, but it would be nice to make a little side money for stuff like IOA passes, and stuff. But thanks for all your help. You sure do know alot about what I will be doing. Less then a month to go...

If you are doing bell services in any position except for bellman, you are NOT allowed to accept tips. If you are found accepting tips, they can and will terminate you. I never knew a CP as a bellman.

Really? I thought you just don't expect one, and if the guest just offers you something, then its alright. Oh well. It would just be nice to make a little extra money to go to USF or Busch Gardens every once in a while.

BTW, my mom was wondering this. Are there any blackout dates to go to Disney? My family was thinking on coming the day after new years until I leave (4th). I would think that would probably be a good time to go, but I've never been there around then. I guess I just need to book the hotels early, and hopefully request time off well in advance. If I have any leftover free tickets, am I able to get them when I have people come with me, or can you just get the max number and use if later on and give it to someone? (Like if I wanted to give tickets to my grandmother after I left the WDWCP).

Really? I thought you just don't expect one, and if the guest just offers you something, then its alright. Oh well. It would just be nice to make a little extra money to go to USF or Busch Gardens every once in a while.

BTW, my mom was wondering this. Are there any blackout dates to go to Disney? My family was thinking on coming the day after new years until I leave (4th). I would think that would probably be a good time to go, but I've never been there around then. I guess I just need to book the hotels early, and hopefully request time off well in advance. If I have any leftover free tickets, am I able to get them when I have people come with me, or can you just get the max number and use if later on and give it to someone? (Like if I wanted to give tickets to my grandmother after I left the WDWCP).

Nope, you are absolutely not allowed to accept tips. If you refuse three times, you can take the tip and have to give it to a tipped position or to management.

Yes, there are blackout dates. I looked them up on the portal and for 2007, they were:

Walt Disney World® Resort

Magic Kingdom® Park: July 4, December 25 - 31, 2007

Epcot®: December 31, 2007

Disney-MGM Studios: December 27 - 31, 2007

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park: April 2-11, December 26-30, 2007

So it doesn't say anything about New Year's, but I'm sure you can find out when you get there. And it could change for next year.

How the tickets work, is this. It's kind of weird to explain online. You get a main entrance pass. Since we are CPs, they are the blue main entrance passes. You are allowed six visits throughout your program. With each visit, you can bring up to three people into the park with you. Even if you only bring in one person with you, it still counts as a full visit. You have to be with your guests when you enter the first park and you are held accountable for your guest's actions. You do not receive actual paper tickets until you go to the park and you get a comp. one-day park hopper ticket for each person with you. And you'll have to show at least your CM Id and sometimes a picture ID.

Did that make sense?

Yea, I understand what you mean. I just need to use up all the tickets before I leave the CP. But from that, it sounds like it should be fine when my parents go. Does that portal thing say how much all the disounts are? Im curious to know how much like Cirque du Soleil, and all the other discounts you get are.