TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The WDW Disney College Program

^^I also second this! We had a great team/family at Spaceship Earth when I was there earlier. I was never treated differently because I was a CP and the older full-timers often looked out for us and felt bad for us with how many hours we were scheduled during busy times. I will say that Great Movie Ride was a little different when I moved there. There were a lot of people working there and many thought that they were serious actors so they had their priorities and diva-like qualities. Overall though you will always have people around you that are in your same situation. It's what you make of it!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ and ^^ FW East represent on TPR! I can see how it would be different at Great Movie ride, I talked to someone that worked there and they said some of the actors were exactly like you said, divas. I only had one small problem with one of the guys that was "friends with Crush", since they're classified under face entertainment, some of them can be rude occasionally. The one situation I had helped out a family, so I was ok with upsetting him in the end.

^ I had a few a run in with 'Friends of Crush' too but nothing too horrible. I was made a trainer in the second half of the year and training Brazilians in TT Theatre sometimes pushed Crush's frustration levels up, so it was slightly understandable. For the most part, I had alot of fun with Crush!

FWE Represent!

^The run in I had with Crush was cause of this little boy. Story time everyone!

He had come to Turtle Talk a bunch of times, and this was the last time his family could make it before their trip the next year. He REALLY wanted to talk to Crush but he was very shy and didn't raise his hand till the end of the show each time. His parents asked me before hand if there was any way I could help him talk to Crush, and I gave my usual answer that Crush is busy surfing and I can't get a hold of him before each show.

So they sit down in the theater, and as per usual the little boy doesn't raise his hand till the end and as such, doesn't get to talk to Crush. I feel terrible for this boy who is now crying cause his sister got to talk to him and he didn't. I told the family I would try Crush's "shell phone" which only could be used in special circumstances (I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with that on the spot). Crush didn't hear this and just takes this as me calling and ruining the magic, however he does come back and talks to the little boy. The guy that was friends with Crush got upset that I "ruined the magic" by calling, even though it made that little boys and families vacation.

However this was really the only problem I had with a friend of Crush, most of the time they're great and a blast to work with.

^ Yeah I used to feel awkward using the 'shell-phone' in front of guests! I miss doing that show tho!

We were recently invited to an Alumni Dinner that Disney put on for us here in Sydney! Was nice to have some free food on the mouse!

^^^^ speaking of crush, i had simmaler incidents when working in the monsters laugh show. the actors would sometimes put us up on the screen and make us dance or make fun of us, they where really cool, they even let us go in the back after hours and mess around with the characters on the big screen and control them, it was pretty awesome, it was a whole lot harder then they made it look. There were so many different animations that where not used during the show. that we got to see, and there where even more characters that they didn't use either. the monsters characters where pretty sweet. we would make magic moments all of the time, the actors actually wanted us to call them and let them know that it was someones b-day or a little kid has been in here 5 time just to get on tv with them, they made it an awesome experience. Working the monsters show was my favorite part. especially photo cell(pre-show).

• 2 months later...

SO I haven't applied yet, I'm looking into the Fall2012 session. As it stands now it's not open to apply yet. But I have a question that I hope isn't too personal. What were your GPA going into the WDW CP?

I'm only a little worried I won't get in. I go to Temple University. I know my school does work with this program. I want to apply to be a lifeguard. By that point I would have lifeguard for 5years. I've lifeguard at inside/outside pools, swim clubs and I'm currently working at a YMCA lifeguarding and teaching lessons.

So if I have a low GPA and all that lifeguard work experience do you think I'd get in?

haha, ok honest to god truth, don't judge me, I was a major slacker when it came to college, I was more interested in the girls. Here ts goes. 1.08 GPA, they don't even ask you about your GPA. For shits and giggles I applied last year for the spring program, being out of school for 2 years, I still got accepted, they don't even know and I doubt they even care. About your experience with all the life guard stuff, it don't matter I was a life guard at my local pool all though high school and into college, I made it my first choice to be a life guard and Disney, they stuck me in attractions and then I cross trained in recreation. Plus now that I know, I don't think I would want to be a life guard, it is kind of boring, you think your going to get put in a cool water park, but you get stuck working the night shift at the resort pools..lamo TRUST ME WHEN I SAY RECREATION IS WHERE IT AT.

I will say that your GPA does matter, it is taken into consideration when you apply. That said they are very flexible with what they allow. With all your experience as a lifeguard you have a good shot at getting a lifeguard position (one of the better positions on the program I may add!). Hope that helps!

Okay good, like I really, really want to do this program! I have a 2.79 GPA, and I'm not too thrilled with it. But the gen-ed courses at Temple really got to me.

Also I rather be a resort lifeguard, I'll ask not to be a water park lifeguard, that's too much work. Haha, My top picks are the restaurants, lifeguarding, character attendant. Honestly I just want to get in, I'd do almost any job they throw at me!

Thanks for the easing my worries!

Also I rather be a resort lifeguard, I'll ask not to be a water park lifeguard, that's too much work. !

Wrong.

Being a waterpark lifeguard is better than being a resort lifeguard. You get to work more positions (your job isn't as boring), you never work late, you get the best hours.

Also, if you're going to go into your interview with the attitude of "dont put me here cause it's more work than I want to do"... Seriously I think your gpa is the least of your worries.

When I said it's too much work, I meant like stress, and worry. I have a few water park lifeguard friends, they've told me it's stressful, it's harder to tell there then at a regular pool if someone's in distress. If I was a lazy lifeguard I wound't be working at a ymca, I had to jump through hoops to get my job. That, and from what I can tell the water park lifeguards only wear suits, I've got noticeable tattoos on my back, the resort lifeguards wear golf shirts.

Like I said before I honestly would take almost any job, I just really want to do this. It'll look amazing on my resume for my major.

Waterpark lifeguards have the same uniforms as resort lifeguards, they just have to get in the water more often and have the option to take off their polo when they do. But yeah, if you have tattoos that can't be covered that could be an issue.

Your friends are really easily stressed out, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would just strongly advise that if you put down lifeguard you're prepared to work wherever. If you tell your interviewer "I wanna be a lifeguard but I don't want to work here" you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot.

I would not want to be a life guard, out of all the positions you can choose from you want to to be a life guard, I mean do you want to make being a life guard a career. I would choose something that will help you better your career options. resort life guard is boring, but park life guard you get better hours.

I would not want to be a life guard, out of all the positions you can choose from you want to to be a life guard, I mean do you want to make being a life guard a career. I would choose something that will help you better your career options. resort life guard is boring, but park life guard you get better hours.

I wouldn't be so harsh on life guards. They have to have more qualifications and demands than a ride operator or food service or janitor or a ton of other positions at the College Program. Real, certified life guards can also make more money at non-Disney jobs later because of these certifications. For career options many water park managers and supervisors started as life guards.

When I worked at SFMM and Hurricane Harbor, the Harbor guards were much smarter than your average ride op!

In terms of giving you great experience for your future, I don’t see how life guarding can be worse than any other front of line position. I think being a ride op would be so boring, but everyone is different. In fact, I’d argue that guarding can be better. I think any job in this type of college program will give you responsibility and important training in life and on the job skills. But, being a lifeguard also introduces you to other job requirements that equal more responsibility and more pay, given the qualifications.

My friends who worked at Splash Works at CW, working up to supervision duties, absolutely loved it. The best hours, best pay, amazing experience in terms of responsibilities. You get to manage and work with teams. I’d agree that you’d get more at a water park than resort as a guard. When I wasn’t a summer counselor I took life guarding jobs. When not at busy locations, I picked up instructor shifts from parent and tot up to guard trainer to keep it interesting, since that option was available. You just have to look at the benefit in whatever position offered.

This program for Canadians closer to the East coast unfortunately meant sticking students at Epcot. Yes, at the Canada pavilion. Give me a resort guard position over that any day

I was offered a deep water Lifeguard position at Typhoon for the second half of my program, but I was able to talk to my managers and stay at The Seas. Id come all the way around the world, and didn't particularly do something that I could be doing at home. That being said, there were a ton of Aussies who were lifeguards and they were the ones who seemed to have the most crazy 'american college experience' on the program. They worked great hours due to the shorter opening hours in the water parks (not so much for the hotel guards) and got that extra dollar or two in their paycheck.

Its not a bad option if that's what your interested in, and the lifeguards definitely seemed to have the best social life on the program. I'd personally prefer it to Food & Bev or Merch.

I was just way to happy in Attractions

Call me crazy but I'd rather be a deep guard than work attractions. Better hours, better pay, more responsibility, more training that you can talk about in future interviews.

Maybe it's just cause we're in a discussion board for theme park/coaster enthusiasts, but I don't really get why attractions is the most awesome thing ever. Just my opinion though!

Real, certified life guards can also make more money at non-Disney jobs later because of these certifications. For career options many water park managers and supervisors started as life guards.

Actually, fun fact, Disney has it's own custom lifeguarding certification, and the company retains ownership of your certifications. So if you're a Disney lifeguard you can't go lifeguard anywhere else without getting a different certification.

Edited by Swimace