TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The WDW Disney College Program

Do NOT expect to do everything your role description says.

You could be on the parking trams your entire college program.

The role description is a little outdated - I believe they stopped training College Program students as pilots after the pink/purple accident in 2009.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys! So I am considering doing this program possibly next fall or after I graduate from college, but before I go lto grad school. After doing some researcg and reading about other peoples experiences, it seems like your assigned role plays a big part in whether you enjoy your time in disney. Sooo...I was wondering about the job placements. Let's say I say I am willing to work in attractions and merch. Will I be placed in something I don't list? This is what I am worried about. Honestly, I don't think I would want to go if I was in food/quick service.

So what are the chances of me being placed in something I do not put on my list of desired jobs?

The role description is a little outdated - I believe they stopped training College Program students as pilots after the pink/purple accident in 2009.

This is when they stopped training College Program people as pilots. According to my friend who used to work as a monorail pilot the requisite to even get trained as one now is ridiculous. Something like six months experience in transportation plus a super long training program. I don't remember the exact requirements but I remember thinking they were a LOT.

^You will not automatically be placed into something you don't pick, but that doesn't mean they wont offer it to you. To start, I HIGHLY recommend that you pick as many roles as you're willing to do. For me I wasn't willing to do custodial so I didn't pick it, but the more you pick the better chance you have. Also on the phone interview they tend to ask what your preferred role would be, so be sure to mention it then. In regards to your question, if you only picked attractions and merch, and they didn't have room left in either of those positions (they're the two most popular on the college program), they would decline you, but most likely offer you a different position if they like you enough from your interview.

Also quick service food and beverage is really not a bad job at Disney, compared to custodial or even merch sometimes it can be better in a lot of cases, but every job has its positives and negatives. For example, merch usually has a pretty easy job (air-conditioned, not overly stressful) but usually gets the worst hours due to stocking and re-shelving.

ALSO: if anyone has more questions about the College Program feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as I possibly can.

Thanks! This is definitely something I want to do but I'm already behind in school so its just a matter of finding a good time for it.

Well...I did it my second semester of college, and I'm gonna make up for it over the next few summers. Honestly, and I really do mean this, it was definitely one of the best experiences of my life, and I don't regret falling behind in my schooling at ALL to do it. Take that however you will but I would seriously consider giving up another semester of school to go back.

Yeah, I am already a year behind because I switched my major so that's something I'm worrying about. But then again, this is a once in a lifetime kind of thing. I don't want to miss out on it. Now I regret not taking summer classes this summer, could have made up some time. Oh well. Hopefully I can work something out!

When can you apply for the different programs? Right now nothing is on the site...

• 2 months later...

I just finished the college program this past Spring and my advice to anyone questioning it is...DO IT! It truly is what you make of it. If you worry about what your role will be and focus so much energy on questioning if you will like it, then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. Instead you should just roll with it and focus on having a great time with your roommates...your roommate situation is far more crucial to your overall experience than your job.

I got lucky and was placed at Spaceship Earth...so I liked my job already. I was placed in a 4 bedroom apartment in Chatham which I wasn't so excited about because there would be 8 of us in one apartment...but I gave it a shot. I ended up becoming really good friends with all of my roommates and we all had a great time together. Some of my roommates had crappy jobs that they didn't like, but they would come home from work and then we would party or go out and do something and have fun.

It is important for you to take a look at yourself before stepping into the life you will have in the college program. People who are flexible, open-minded and willing to step outside of their comfort zone will succeed. If you are a quiet, shy, afraid to live away from mom and dad type of person...then you may struggle. Worst case scenario...you go and have an awful time and you end up hating it....then guess what? You quit and go back home!

It's definitely worth the risk! I had a magical time

• 4 weeks later...

I was just accepted into the Disney College Program working in fast foods. I told my interviewer that this is the last job I wanted to do because I've worked in Wendy's for 3 years. I told her that I am a photography major and would like to work in the passport photography area. If I call and tell this and tell them the school wont give me credit unless I'm working in my major's area will they change my assignment.

• 3 weeks later...

Whew it's been a fun program in Transportation so far! I'm a FriendShip captain at Epcot and it is one of the best jobs in the cp in my opinion. I'm outside and driving boats between Epcot and Hollywood Studios and inside the World Showcase Lagoon. Sure it gets a little repetitious but not as bad as some roles out there.

I did the CP last Spring from January-May & like what you read above it was the best experience of my life! I got lucky enough to work attractions at Tower of Terror which is my favorite attraction at WDW along with being trained at Fantasmic & the then High School Musical float & Block Party Bash parade. The job was fun even though it payed very little & the hours were long but still worth it. Everyone I worked with was great & very helpful. I got along with everyone. I lived in Patterson Court which was an amazing apartment complex. They provided transportation from the apartments to the parks (although I had my car so it didn't matter to me) & everything was ran like a well oiled machine. Definitely an amazing experience & something I recommend you trying if you are considering it.

Me in my Tower costume!

Patterson Court represent!

Our room number!

That's are family room area. My apartment had 6 people, 2 to a room along with a bathroom & shower per room.

My bed! Note: It is better if you bring your own mattress.

Since my room was on the 3rd floor we had a balcony!

So Its 10 hours after my interview and I am so stressed about me getting in. IDK how i am going to last 3 to 4 weeks! Or at least i think that is what the email said. So did anyone else want to room with me if I get in and of course you get in to?

Im setting up my phone interview tomorrow, so If I do well, it'll be nice to be with fellow enthusiast.

Whats the interview like? Any tips/hints?

I did the College program spring of 09, Don't be nervous you will get selected. WDW would not operate with out the college program, i worked tomorrow land attractions. buzz, monsters and COP. the only thing i did not like about it was the hours. especially working in the MK, we would be there tell 12 midnight and them on EMH days sometimes tell 4am, all my room rates worked in other places and got off early enough to go hang out with each other at the parks while i was stuck at work. If i got off at 4 I had to take the A bus back to Chatham, by the time i got home it was literately 5am, a few of my room rates where getting ready to leave for work when i was just getting off, it was pretty rough. Just like what everybody else has been saying, it is what you make it, even though i hated my hours the people i worked with made them worth it. it was the most amazing experience of my life.

^That entirely depends on where you work. At The Seas there were many older full timers that were completely fine with the CP's and they were even some of my favorite people to work with. In all honesty the only person that didn't like me because I was a CP was someone who had just graduated college and was part time there. It all depends.

^ I will second that. The older Cast Members at the Seas were really friendly. We had a lovely lady who only worked on Saturdays always bring us breakfast donuts! One of the cast members even took a shift I was giving away because my folks were visiting from Australia. In all honest I think it depends on the attraction. There were definitely cranky Cast Members at Mission Space and Test Track. It was a much busier attraction than the Seas