TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 791: Big Bear Mountain family coaster announced for 2023!

okay but like... why haven't the LSM stators been replaced by Indrivetec yet?  Seems like these launch system problems could have been fixed years ago.

Also, if heat is a problem... DCA fixed that by adding sprinklers to the launch track on California Screamin 20 freakin years ago.  Idk why that would be so impossible for Lightning Rod.

17 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

okay but like... why haven't the LSM stators been replaced by Indrivetec yet?

VM uses DC supplied from a capacitor bank to drive the LSMs. That reduces the AC capacity needed.

Others need much higher AC supply to power the system. And getting the needed power to the park/ride was an issue, that's why the VM system was chosen.

Hard to find details, but it was discussed a good bit back when LR was being built.

17 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Also, if heat is a problem... DCA fixed that by adding sprinklers to the launch track on California Screamin 20 freakin years ago.  Idk why that would be so impossible for Lightning Rod.

They did that years ago. Go to 0:30 in this video.

https://youtu.be/6FDJBWQnrfs

All that vapor/mist there is water sprayed for cooling. It helped but doesn't seem to be enough.

Again, we don't really know where the issue is and only have vague comments and innuendo to go on.  My comments on heat are based on a few comments from ride operators, when they cut back to single train, and other downtime observations.

But nobody has outright said anything was getting hot let alone what was getting hot.

I'm hoping when. It cools down in the fall we'll see better operation. That would only be anecdotal, but would add a data point to our attempts to understand the problems.

Wow, I missed a lot in this thread. That was a fun experience. It’s fun watching so many professional engineers talk shop.

As for the teaser, teaser campaigns aren’t really my thing but I hope the new thing coming to Wildwood Grove is trees because that entire area is absolutely hideous.

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, tndank said:

Sounds like the new coaster is Big Bear. 

This is the only acceptable station song.

12 hours ago, Jason Maier said:

Has Lightning Rod been more reliable this year in terms of uptime?

edit: I've been to busy with work to really pay attention here if anyone has said anything.

Now that you have time you could scroll back through the past few pages.  Eeesh.

Summary:  It's up and down, as always.

I am excited for a new family coaster at Dollywood.  Any guesses on height restrictions?  They tend to be on the lower end of other parks, so maybe 44"?  That would be nice.  I like the Bear theme and fits nicely into that area.  I know many on here complain about that new area, but honestly someone with kids ranging from 4 to 11 that area has added a lot to our experience.  I just wish that the coaster had higher capacity, so I am hoping the new coaster can run 2 to 3 trains.  Because the new one only running one train causes way too long of lines.  Having a higher capacity lower height near it would really help reduce lines.

My family is target demo for Dollywood and their new expansions have hit the mark for us.  If they can keep this coaster at or below 44" I think it would be amazing.  That would give 3 family and 1 kiddie coaster. 

7 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

I am excited for a new family coaster at Dollywood.  Any guesses on height restrictions? 

I expect similar to Dragonflier.

Amid all the calls everywhere for "family coasters", I'm always left wondering what that "demographic" is that they're really targeting... I only ask because my 8 year old has been riding the biggest coasters he can get on for years now, rode a 300 foot coaster at 7, and a 400+ foot drop tower that many adults are too terrified to ride at 7. So "family coasters" are fine and all, but it seems their target demo is either a fairly small group of kids and their parents, or my youngsters have just been rarities among kids, in that they wanted the "adult" thrills at a young age!

• Like 1

I came here to post about the new ride teaser. They have hung those signs all over the park, after I saw about 10 my wife said we should call the number.

Mentions an expedition starting next spring in wild wood Grove. Definitely a teaser of things to come next year!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DILinator said:

Amid all the calls everywhere for "family coasters", I'm always left wondering what that "demographic" is that they're really targeting... I only ask because my 8 year old has been riding the biggest coasters he can get on for years now, rode a 300 foot coaster at 7, and a 400+ foot drop tower that many adults are too terrified to ride at 7. So "family coasters" are fine and all, but it seems their target demo is either a fairly small group of kids and their parents, or my youngsters have just been rarities among kids, in that they wanted the "adult" thrills at a young age!

That's a good question and I guess only Dollywood knows the answer, but I know the past couple times I was at DW Firechaser had the longest line in the park and Wildwood Grove was practically dead so something similar located in that section would seemingly be a good fit.

Also my kids are the same way now, 6 and 9 yo and they're both tall enough for everything and have been on a lot of bigger coasters, but they still enjoy other stuff too. On our last trip to BGT we all rode Iron Gwazi together a couple of times, and they loved it, but they still preferred Cheetah Hunt and Cobras Curse as their favorites in the park despite IG clearly being the better coaster. I mean even me personally, if I go to a park like Cedar Point yeah my priorities are Maverick and SV, but I still want to ride Iron Dragon and Gemini and Blue Streak. I guess my point is that I don't see the issue with another "family" coaster at what is really a family destination resort type park, as long as it's good. 

7 hours ago, Hilltopper39 said:

On our last trip to BGT we all rode Iron Gwazi together a couple of times, and they loved it, but they still preferred Cheetah Hunt and Cobras Curse as their favorites in the park despite IG clearly being the better coaster.

"Better" for who? Subjectivity. It's a thing.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, DILinator said:

I will say most kids that age won't do huge coasters.  Some are not tall enough and others more scared.  My daughter does Sea World camps and her friend was saying that the prior year when it was 4th and 5th graders that only 4 would do all the coasters.  So her group of 4 went on their own with a camp councilor.  They specifically signed up for the Thrill camp this year so that they would be with like minded kids.  Many of their sessions have an A and a B but Thrill does not.

My oldest is a roller coaster junky and always has been.  At age 2 she wanted to go on Hulk and never let off the gas.  My middle child loves coasters, but hates big drops.  So she will do Tennessee tornado, but not eagle.  She is also going thru a "scared" phase where stuff she would ride now she won't.  She is 8.  My 4 year old loves coasters, but isn't tall enough for the big coasters, so who knows what he will do then.  But he does like Scorpion at Busch that goes upside down. 

When I am at Dollywood I wait the longest for Dragonflier and Firechaser because the most people can ride them.  So they are trying to appeal to the widest audience with family coasters.

• Like 1