TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 791: Big Bear Mountain family coaster announced for 2023!

On 3/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, coasterbill said:

The only thing that I'd miss is Drop Line and a few infrastructure upgrades.

I'd miss LR as well. My luck with it has been far better than many complaining here and on FB.

Dragon flyer is a good ride too.

It would also be nice to have the Ferris wheels back.

11 minutes ago, Vonni said:

Just out of curiosity, does Drop Line already have seatbelts?

Unless something changed since my last visit in 2019, no, it did not.

Doesn't appear to based off this promo photo on their website, either:
image.png.8dd0c69ce959eabf119c6c4516e24cab.png

^ The restraint actually looks completely different than the one at Icon park all together. But still, I would not be surprised if seatbelts are added during this closure. I dont blame them though. Its good for their reputation and there is nothing wrong with a little extra safety. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vonni said:

^ The restraint actually looks completely different than the one at Icon park all together. But still, I would not be surprised if seatbelts are added during this closure. I dont blame them though. Its good for their reputation and there is nothing wrong with a little extra safety. 

Not "completely" different. Same concept, but no padding on the bars (since it doesn't tilt).
And the bars loop higher and wider to accommodate larger riders.

It's obvious on Drop Line that the bars are not holding you directly, it all the piece at the waist (just like Wild Eagle).

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Dollywood three times already this season and the issues plaguing the park for the last two seasons are still happening. Lightning Rod is still having down time and long waits when it is running because they are mostly running it with only 1 train. Wait times have been over two hours when I have gone, so I use the single-rider line to get on much faster or I use the first hour for gold and diamond pass holders to use the Timesaver line. Lines for food and drinks are LONG and many of the food outlets are closed. Strangely, other rides are also experiencing down time. Mystery Mine has been down several times and broke once while I was on the ride. They had to manually lift the restraints and we had to walk along the side of the track to get out. I guess Dollywood's offer to pay for college tuition for staff hasn't helped with staff shortages.

• Sad 1

Once again I'm not sure exactly how it is at DW, but I know at SDC they are now dealing with a lot of "brain drain" as so many of the older employees that used to literally keep the wheels turning smoothly are now retired or quit. Sure they can attract a new generation of younger employees who will work a season or two, but it's not like the old days when you had the same people working for decades and keeping thing going with a certain culture and attitude that you just don't get from someone who doesn't know where they'll be in a few months. 

In any case, it's going to take time to simply get the numbers back up. How close are they to completing that new dorm? Maybe by summer things will improve with staffing. 

I think pay continues to be an issue as well. Cedar fair drastically raised pay rates to get a solid staffing (just knowing from experience at Kings Island) and even though they are dialing it back a bit this year, they established a new roster of staff and are mostly dropping the rate only for NEW HIRES meaning those who return and bring that operational knowledge with them, are being compensated for it. I think Hershend got by for a long time on “good will and dedication “ that COVID pretty much decimated. 

It's not only pay, everyone is having issues in the area. There was a local report/survey saying there were 4 jobs for every citizen in the area. My wife got almost a $15 pay raise to travel from Knoxville to Tanger to help fill gaps in the area

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the concept art for the summer celebration entrance using the umbrella sky rigging for kites? Fountain looks interesting. Does anyone post anything around here anymore??

"New and unique elements throughout the park enhance the summer fun for guests with new decor elements like the all-new Kite Sky, unexpected splash and play elements, colorful kids play activities in The Village, a bubble foam party in Wilderness Pass, and an unparalleled and interactive art installation that invites guests to spin on life-size tops in Wildwood Grove."

I saw a picture on their FB page, but can't find it now - looks like its been pulled down. So - BITCHY - I saw it... didn't post it yet and now it's gone. I was asking if anyone else saw it and had thoughts about it. This site is pretty much pointless now - no one actually has any productive discussion, just unnecessary comments that the poster "thinks" are funny. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, megan said:

Rarely. 

It's been slow lately.

Wait till the next ride starts construction.

FWIW I recall seeing the image too but can't find it either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Repeatedly complaining that you are not being entertained in the manner that you desire, on a free website no less, is sure to get people to engage with you constructively.   I'm sure it will work if you keep at it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They reposted the image to Facebook. Here’s the concept art for the summer celebration “kite sky” and fountain. 

F059DF03-24D8-44C1-83AF-DC05BC51F7C5.jpeg

• Like 1

someone wake me up when something other than dumb shit about kites - that I don't care about - gets posted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

"Let's go fly a kite*, up to the highest height, let's go fly a kite and send - it - soaring."  😋

c/o The Sherman Brothers. 🎶

*Or an umbrella, I forget who's using what for where, lately. Hugs to ya, Bert.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 5/26/2022 at 4:11 PM, bert425 said:

someone wake me up when something other than dumb shit about kites - that I don't care about - gets posted.

Someone wake me up when this site is meaningful and relevant again, oh-and free of passive aggressive a/holes who have to be self entitled and rude. This place is pointless and stupid. 

New parking setup at Dollywood is seriously a head scratcher.  Arrive early and it's not a problem.  Hope it doesn't rain because you'll get very wet walking to the tram station.  Seems strange they moved it so far out.  

Otherwise, park was dead today.  Longest wait was maybe 15 minutes on Firechaser. LR was a 10 min wait most of the day and was running good.  

Drop Line is still closed but now has seatbelts installed.

• Like 1