TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 791: Big Bear Mountain family coaster announced for 2023!

$80 for Timesaver Unlimited is still a great price. Their skip-the-line pass has always been under-priced.

It seems like even on summer weekends and Holidays, the highest it gets is $85.

• Like 1

Oh, seeing the Christmas shop gone is a real bummer. Do they have plans to relocate it or anything? I enjoyed meeting the ornament artist, Victoria Rose, in her little nook at the cottage store back in 2018.

5 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Timesaver Unlimited went up to $80 this year. The price increases and Dollywood are getting out of hand, especially when you factor in how poor customer service has been over the last two years with so may shops, restaurants and ride closures. I think they new some new management at Dollywood and some managers that care about the guest experience.

Are people still forking over the money?  The increases will continue until they stop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Timesaver Unlimited went up to $80 this year. The price increases and Dollywood are getting out of hand, especially when you factor in how poor customer service has been over the last two years with so may shops, restaurants and ride closures. I think they new some new management at Dollywood and some managers that care about the guest experience.

If you haven't noticed, pretty much everything under the sun is more expensive right now.

• Sad 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:06 AM, coasterbill said:

$80 for Timesaver Unlimited is still a great price. Their skip-the-line pass has always been under-priced.

It seems like even on summer weekends and Holidays, the highest it gets is $85.

It's not a good price if you go every two weeks like I do. Last year I paid $55. That is a big increase for season pass holders.

1 hour ago, u4icmusic said:

It's not a good price if you go every two weeks like I do. Last year I paid $55. That is a big increase for season pass holders.

I'm a pass holder and have never bought one. 
I just looked and with Gold pass it's $55 (or $75 for unlimited).
Looks like the 8 use TS no longer has limited use on any rides so more useful now.

Maybe they'll add a season option like SF does.

While looking at the Timesaver info I noticed this on the LR page
https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/LightningRod

Notice: This attraction closes at 9 p.m. in preparation for Dollywood's Sweet Summer Nights now - July 31. Please make your way to Wildwood Grove to enjoy this new multi-sensory experience! Dance Parties start at 8:45 and 9:15 p.m. with the 3D Drone & Fireworks Show starting at 9:40 p.m.

Did they relocate the fireworks? Not sure why LR would close as I don't see that on any other ride.

1 hour ago, u4icmusic said:

Sounds like you should be complaining to them about not offering an all-season Timesaver option then.  Or maybe not to try to do everything on every bi-weekly visit?  Just a suggestion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Or maybe not to try to do everything on every bi-weekly visit?  Just a suggestion.

Seriously.  If I'm a passholder and I see a line longer than 20 minutes I say screw it and get it the next time.  I've never bought a front of line pass at the park I have a season pass to.  It's a waste of money.

• Like 1

Also, these things sell out regularly. They would be stupid not to raise the price. They make more money, may not sell out, and it's potentially a better value for those that do buy. 

• Like 2

I haven't been down there in a few years. I remember the TSUs being in the neighborhood of $40 and thinking it was ridiculously cheap compared to, well, pretty much every other park's unlimited line-skipping passes. This price increase is definitely more in line with its actual value, and I can't fault them for that.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, KBrylczyk said:

Seriously.  If I'm a passholder and I see a line longer than 20 minutes I say screw it and get it the next time.  I've never bought a front of line pass at the park I have a season pass to.  It's a waste of money.

Not on busy days when all the lines are long.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:54 PM, TEDodd said:

While looking at the Timesaver info I noticed this on the LR page
https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/LightningRod

Did they relocate the fireworks? Not sure why LR would close as I don't see that on any other ride.

The fireworks are behind Wildwood Grove and can best be views from inside Wildwood Grove, as is the drone show. Last season, most of the rides had that sign on them about closing at 9 pm for the fireworks show.

Park Reservation System

Book Your Next Visit

Great news, Passholders! Reservations are no longer required for your visit to Dollywood Parks and Resorts. Any existing reservations will be honored. Be advised, based on demand, park entry could be delayed due to available park capacity.

34 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

The fireworks are behind Wildwood Grove and can best be views from inside Wildwood Grove, as is the drone show. Last season, most of the rides had that sign on them about closing at 9 pm for the fireworks show.

That's where I thought they were too.

Just noticed that LR was the only one with the closing statement on the website suggesting a change.

Just odd for that info to only be on LR's page.

22 hours ago, TEDodd said:

That's where I thought they were too.

Just noticed that LR was the only one with the closing statement on the website suggesting a change.

Just odd for that info to only be on LR's page.

Right, especially since LR is at the opposite side of the park, nowhere near Wildwood Grove.

Saw on other sites, that Dolly was there, doing a mini-welcome wagon 'parade' for the opening season.

Man, I would love to meet her! She's so honest, and forthright with her convictions. And support. And her music!

Dollywood2022.png.8527a63f841f7b0c77c85ba22f7711ea.png

Photo from the web. Thank you to whoever put this together.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure most people book cabins in Pigeon Forge for the view of the Smokies.  I picked cabins with views of Dollywood's coasters.  I was able to get some unique shots of Lightning Rod and Wild Eagle the past few days.

1079241635_LightningRod(Aerial).thumb.jpg.ec28638a2c92b2d69d5b9e3af3eac200.jpg

897542531_LightningRodDrop(Far).thumb.JPG.acb800a549e553110e68118389513249.JPG

1185158336_LightningRodDrop(Side).thumb.JPG.9d8d00b192476b09962d626f30ea0cfa.JPG

660217912_LightningRodWaveTurn.thumb.JPG.0834ffec7143a113c3ee31e7824a936b.JPG

1925310896_LightningRodReverseWaveTurn(Far1).thumb.JPG.266b77534766631b43f29ff13b2c887d.JPG

675031164_LightningRodReverseWaveTurn(Close2).thumb.JPG.a6be25769008ab22c3b7325e5545012d.JPG

1966152065_LightningRodOff-AxisHill2.thumb.JPG.ffad1d885e7a8b62e9e57823fea85338.JPG

52033504_WildEagleLift(Far1).thumb.JPG.04cd075af76de3c4bb0036390742d33d.JPG

1369933335_WildEagleDrop.thumb.jpg.7f54d40131099d7a122035bdb7373030.jpg

1238211906_TennesseeTornadoPre-Drop.thumb.jpg.c9b5446acc6b6510bd0271de892d5812.jpg

Speaking of Lightning Rod, the coaster only opened for the final 8 minutes of the day on Sunday due to the prior day's snowstorm and then it ran like it's usual self on Monday with a delayed opening and multiple breakdowns.

• Like 6

This was the actual view of the better of our cabins.  You could see Lightning Rod in the distance if you knew where to look.  The shots were taken from the parking lots where there were less trees in the way.

20220315_083410.thumb.jpg.ab34175968d94a7f5b1d8af958b73221.jpg

• Like 4

Some really great coaster shots you got, there. With or without trains in the shots, heh. Good stuff.

And your out-there porch jacuzzi is a nice touch, too.

Hi all - decades-long lurker, new member here.

I’m having my bachelor party in Pigeon Forge, and we want to spend a day in Dollywood. Hoping you well-versed folks might be able to help me make decisions that help us maximize the day! I’ve been once before, about five years ago. (Yes, normally my best man  would be doing the legwork here, but I’m the enthusiast and refuse to cede control for this portion of the trip!)

Our best option for visiting the park is Saturday, April 2. The Friday and Sunday are also possible, but would be less convenient. My main goals are rerides on Lightning Rod and Drop Line (as many as possible), and at least one ride on the other major coasters.

1. How finicky has LR been lately? Just need to know how much to temper my expectations.
2. How much longer do lines tend to be on Saturdays vs Fridays and Sundays?
3. How long are weekend waits (even if it’s a range) for LR and Drop Line if you do have Timesaver Unlimited? I read coasterbill’s recent post that Timesaver Unlimited is priced well. It is within our budget, so I plan to get it before we enter the park if it’s almost certainly going to be crowded. Just want to get a sense of how much we might be able to fit in the day, or even if we'd want another half-day.
4. Does the park app show wait times when you’re in the park? I have the app now, but it doesn’t give me current wait times sitting at home.
5. Is the Dollywood Photo Card defunct because of staffing or something? I can’t find anything current about it on the website…all the info I found seems a few years old.

Appreciate your thoughts on these questions, or anything else you think it’d be useful for me to know!

^My bf and I go every year, although we haven't yet gone this year. A few posts back, I think it was Canobie Coaster, said that LR had been finnicky when he went a week or two ago but it was also combined with some weather issues as well. LR will be LR. It's the best steel coaster I've ever been on, but yes it sees a good amount of downtime. If you're there an entire weekend I think you'll get to ride it. We've always had really good luck with it but there's always at least some time during our visit when it's down. Walk to the right when you walk in the past and ride it first, at least a few times. The TimeSaver pick-up area is on the way to it.

Weekends can be unpredictable for the park. Buy TimeSaver Unlimited at least 3-5 days in advance, they sell out fast. But the price is very reasonable and even if the park isn't that busy, you'll walk past a 15-20 minute LR line and ride it over and over again. If the park is slammed, you'll be glad you bought it, as I've been there on weekends when even Tennessee Tornado had 60+ minute waits.

Not too sure about the app or photos, as after one year of making the mistake of not getting TimeSaver and it being sold out, we never made that mistake again. With TimeSaver Unlimited, you won't wait at all for the attractions on it, so we don't even look at wait times.

• Thanks 1