TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

4 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ I dunno.  the two B&Ms at SFFT (Goliath and Superman) are always running - typically with 3 trains in the case of Superman.

I've always found B&Ms super reliable.

It's satire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, SSL said:

Yes, if you look through the past several days of ride openings and closures, it's (and I don't mean Eagle) down again. yep.

We were at the park on August 2.  Heard Eagle had been closed for a few days.   It opened about mid day on August 2.  However, they were only running one train, so the wait was over 120 minutes.   

28 minutes ago, bachir said:

However, they were only running one train, so the wait was over 120 minutes.   

I haven't seen that since the year it opened and lines went out past the statue/sculpture.

Visited for the first time on Saturday and Wild Eagle was running one train the whole day. Lightning Rod did not open. Aside from that, was an amazing day! Really great ops across the board, and a solid ride lineup.

2 hours ago, IronWolfman said:

Visited for the first time on Saturday and Wild Eagle was running one train the whole day. Lightning Rod did not open. Aside from that, was an amazing day! Really great ops across the board, and a solid ride lineup.

Lightning Rod hasnt been open in over a week...

4 hours ago, SSL said:

Lightning Rod hasnt been open in over a week...

it ran Sun and Mon, Aug 1st and 2nd. So technically today, Aug 9, made rne 7th day, so only a week not over.

park closed Tue, so doesn't count. Maybe it'll be up Wed. I wouldn't call it over a week til then.

But I am curious what happened Aug 2nd to have it down most of the last full, week of the season.

Over all it's had a great year though.

COVID is surging, mask mandates are coming back, and Lightning Rod is acting like a pile of shit. Looks like things are almost right back where they were a year ago.

• Like 2

Dollywood has announced that they are building on-site housing for employees that could support seasonal hosts throughout the year.

233124681_2599000980409756_481996953327518507_n.thumb.jpeg.a58947d505cff9d507c800ba9f7b8d06.jpeg

https://fox17.com/news/local/dollywood-building-on-site-housing-for-750-employees-at-pigeon-forge-park-holtz-builders-tennessee-gatlinburg-smoky-mountain-travel-industry-events

232702203_2599000857076435_8532773714601907761_n.thumb.jpeg.93d45cfb0a343a5e95a89cbfd2fb3407.jpeg

Dollywood leaders have announced plans to build on-site housing for more than 750 employees at the iconic theme park in the Great Smoky Mountains.

The company will be partnering with Holtz Builders, a Wisconsin-based builder, to develop a $20 million residence hall-type housing facility. At 136,000 square feet, the four-story building is expected to be complete next spring.

Temporary seasonal hosts—including students—are among residents who can stay at the facility through a variety of Dollywood's hiring programs.

Dollywood's VP of Human Resources said Smoky Mountain traveling continues to grow, and the company is eager to hire and house workers as needed.

"The Smoky Mountains region has proven to be one of the most popular vacation destinations in the country, and with the growth of businesses and attractions in the area, we need more employees ready to support all of those jobs," Tim Berry said. "Employee housing is a crucial piece of the employment equation in this area, and we are glad to partner with Holtz to create this new opportunity here at Dollywood."

220540645_2599000900409764_5002423585283483336_n.thumb.jpeg.0ae16b435ca118b417da195c1a7d38b8.jpeg

233330464_2599000787076442_6737556717267240514_n.thumb.jpeg.cf294f87a16304cf7534a0dfe7bb15ab.jpeg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, dabrian said:

Lightning Rod still down?

It was yesterday, but it is getting close to reopening... they were shooting for yesterday, but that didn't quite work out. They were testing it again though. Maybe today???

I'm visiting for the first time next week...really hoping the issues are resolved by then. I know for a fact I'm going to love the place regardless, but missing out on Lightning Rod could really put a damper on things.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know or know where to look up the temperature guidelines for the rides at Dollywood to operate during the colder weather like in November and December. Seems like I remember that being a discussion topic in the past but I scrolled back a few years in the thread and couldn't find anything. We're thinking about a trip around Christmas but wasn't sure if it was worth it with the weather that time of year being a little unpredictable. Has anyone been around Christmas to know what the crowds are like? 

Sometimes we have 60-70 degrees for Xmas, other years there a dusting of snow and it's freezing. Hard to tell. For the most part winters are mild here until January. Even then it's generally not bad. 

ACE event in Dec a couple years ago. Beginning of ERT they said, "Hurry because we have to shut down LR if it drops another degree." Luckily it stayed 36 and we got the whole hour of rides.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GCI Wooden said:

Here's Dollywood's site listing the temperature cutoffs: https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/Ride-Temperature-Guideline

Thanks' I couldn't find that on the website but it's exactly what I was looking for. For some reason I was thinking the limits were closer to 40 or 45 degrees so taking a trip in late December felt kind of risky, but with temps that low it feels like a pretty safe bet that most things will be open during the day.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:03 AM, jedimaster1227 said:

Dollywood has announced that they are building on-site housing for employees that could support seasonal hosts throughout the year.

The only retirement community that puts Gam Gam to work. 

Maybe something has changed since I've been to dollywood, but I don't remember many of their employees being of the sort of age to live in a workers dorm. 

Man I miss dollywood :(