TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

On 6/13/2021 at 1:29 PM, Djwadeknox said:

Crazy that 3 Wing Coasters have had some big issues over the last few weeks. 
1. Holiday World Thunderbird- footer issue

2. Dollywood- lift hill issue

3. Cedar Point- Lift Chain Snapped

Makes you wonder… B&M’s are normally so reliable. 

I was at Dollywood today. It was more busy than usual. Lightning Rod opened late due to technical problems, but was running with two trains at around noon. The single rider line was SO much faster than the 130 minute wait in the regular line. Wild Eagle is still down. Not sure when they will get it fixed. Lines for food and drinks were BEYOND long. So long that I refused to wait in them and just left the park. Dollywood really needs to step up with their food operations. Other than that, it was a perfect, sunny day and yes, Barnstormer was up and running today too. There was almost nobody wearing masks and I'm pretty sure all those guests were not vaccinated.

4 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Dollywood really needs to step up with their food operations.

Where do you suggest they get employees. Close rides to put bodies in food servIce?

I'm sure they hire anyone that applies right now.

Per the wait time site, WE tried to run Fri (10:00-10:30) but otherwise down since. It did run all day last Thu though. 

16 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Dollywood really needs to step up with their food operations.

Show me any park currently operating in 2021 that is killing it with their food operations, because honestly, I've heard nothing but horror stories across the board no matter if you're on the West Coast or East Coast, up north or down south, little independent place or multi-billion-dollar corporation.

Food operations are a bust at all parks right now. Sounds like you can have a 'Six Flags Day' anywhere you go. Two parks for the price of one.

What I liked about Aunt Granny's was that, while they changed it from a buffet to a family style dining service, you could still ask for more servings if you wanted.  So still sort of a partial buffet.  

Also it looks like Wild Eagle is back up again.

• Like 1

New “multi-generational” coaster will debut in 2023, according the The Mountain Press. Any ideas what “multi-generational” means? I can’t see the full article, unfortunately. 

https://www.themountainpress.com/news/dollywood-plans-new-multigenerational-coaster-talks-resorts/article_ab781380-8900-57a9-a29d-ad92d4d2ec14.html

Beats the s**t out of me. Fun for everyone, ages 8 to 80? I tried finding another article that details a new coaster for 2023, but this is the only one.

Grabbed the picture from that article. Love that they actually have "glamping" as a designated area on the master plan.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSL said:

I actually applied for and have been accepted to go work for Dollywood guys. Wish me luck!

Nice.  What are you going to be doing?  I'll try and say hello some time.

2 hours ago, tndank said:

Nice.  What are you going to be doing?  I'll try and say hello some time.

Joining their Helping hands program. be doing all kinds of things.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, Djwadeknox said:

here it is not behind a paywall. Wording for 2023 is family coaster. Also think we will see some parking garages to help with parking closer to the park.

https://pigeonforge.news/local/dollywood-plans-new-multigenerational-coaster-talks-resorts-news/

Dippin' Dots lady told me it was going to be an inverted coaster but no loops. will break record for longest invert.

• Haha 1

Some art leaked for one of the possible concepts for the 2023 coaster. It looks like a long, sit-down, family multi-launch coaster in the back of Wildwood Grove...which I personally find strange considering Firechaser Express is right around the corner.

1 hour ago, DBru said:

Some art leaked for one of the possible concepts for the 2023 coaster. It looks like a long, sit-down, family multi-launch coaster in the back of Wildwood Grove...which I personally find strange considering Firechaser Express is right around the corner.

Last time I was at Dollywood Firechaser had about the longest line in the park so maybe that's not a bad thing. That line might have a mixture of capacity and popularity but people seem to love that ride, so a "bigger" and "better" version of that might be a solid addition.

If Dollywood had ride like Cheetah Hunt or Copperhead Strike in the back of Wildwood Grove that would be amazing.

In my (uninformed) opinion, the concept art looks much more "motorbike coaster"-esque than something like Cheetah Hunt of Copperhead Strike. But I agree that something like either of those would be an excellent addition.

I was lowkey hoping for a Mack Xtreme Spinner or indoor coaster...but who knows! Maybe those are 2 of the other potential concepts. 😉

Honestly, even though Firechaser only goes like 35 mph, I found it to be one of the best rides at Dollywood.  Maybe I'm just getting older and my tastes are changing, but I'm becoming more and more a fan of fun "quirky" rides these days.  I'm all for something like this if it's true.

• Like 1

Oh, trust me, FireChaser Express is one of my highlights at Dollywood, too. But I prefer when parks add coasters that bring a new experience to their collection, rather than something similar to what guests can experience right down the midway. (See my ramblings about how Orion is a fine ride but would've been a better addition to nearly any other park than Kings Island)

Additionally, between FireChaser, Dragonflier, Whistle Punk Chaser, and Blazing Fury, it’s not like the park is exactly hurting for family coasters. 

• Like 1

^Agreed. If they were going family coaster maybe something like a modern Vekoma mine train, a Gravity Group family wooden coaster, or even a Mack spinning coaster might better options rather than another family launch coaster.

^Yeah I don't buy it either. Hershend has always been good about variety and having unique attractions at their individual parks. I don't see them doing what would amount to merely being a bigger version of a Firechaser type coaster.

Unable to purchase time savers for my trip the first week of Aug.  Anyone know if this means they are sold out or do they go on sale closer to the actual date?  Thanks in advance.

I think something similar to Cheetah Hunt would be a great addition to the park.  Would definitely bridge the gap between Fire Chaser/Dragonflier and the more intense coasters in the park (LR, TT, MM).  

I was told by the Dippin dots Lady before this leaked that it would be very similar to Dragonflyer, it would be 1000' longer than wild eagle but have no inversions.

My theory is that its a new gen Vekoma inverted with a record length, no inversions.