Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 766 - HeartSong resort announced!

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

There are three or four different options they can use on Drop Line. The one you had today is for less busy days when there is little to no line. When it's busy, it's a straight up, pause, then down.

Oh today was slammed! Very busy day, again, I believe it's just bc they are up to fill capacity on everything again! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I call this or what? Anyway, I did better side-by-side comparison for you.

Luckily any day now Lightning Rod is probably due to launch a wheel into a mountain or spontaneously combust or something so we can stop talking about covid...

^Lets be real...if you really wanna follow those guidelines you wouldn’t even be going to amusement parks. 

Posted Images

isn't the Dolly museum there?

 

I thought there's a full walkthru with a section of it as her Childhood home?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bert425 said:

isn't the Dolly museum there?

 

I thought there's a full walkthru with a section of it as her Childhood home?

Two different attractions. There is a Dollywood museum. Completely separate is a reproduction of her childhood home.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok.. so the comment above implying Dolly isn't really represented in the park isn't an accurate assessment. . as there is both a museum, and a reproduction of her childhood home.

never been to the park, it's still on my list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bert425 said:

never been to the park, it's still on my list.

Come up and see us in East TN sometime.  If it's not a Friday or Saturday, I've got free Bring A Friend passes.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 8:22 AM, bill_s said:

Like the case of Busch Gardens, I can't imagine they'd want to change the name unless they had to, even if everything beyond that is debranded. There are some disadvantages though of the association,, not everyone likes country music or Dolly, and she's not becoming more popular.

Hershend is expanding though, so it could become "Silver Dollar City's Dollywood" or "... a Hershend Park"

She NOT becoming more popular????? She on probably the biggest awareness high she been in YEARS right now. I could actually see her thinking “I’ve got so many development deals going on right now that the last thing I need to boost my awareness is this” I don’t think that’s the case, but waning “popularity” is NOT the reason. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tndank said:

Two different attractions. There is a Dollywood museum. Completely separate is a reproduction of her childhood home.

 

Both of those could easily be moved to Nashville, where country music reigns. Do people go to Dollywood to see either the museum or the replica of her childhood home, which takes about 1 minute to walk through? I've never walked through the museum, so I cannot comment on it, but it would probably do better elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, megan said:

She NOT becoming more popular????? She on probably the biggest awareness high she been in YEARS right now. I could actually see her thinking “I’ve got so many development deals going on right now that the last thing I need to boost my awareness is this” I don’t think that’s the case, but waning “popularity” is NOT the reason. 

Really?  In the DE/NJ/eastern PA area, where there is one country station on the radio, I guarantee you that 7 out of 10 people under 40 have never heard of her, two know her as "that country singer with the big boobs and hair" and couldn't name a single song, and one is a fan.  I find myself in the middle category.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 12:42 AM, sdcfan88 said:

Though on a serious note I do feel Hershend did invest more into DW over SDC up until the past decade which also contributed to the bigger draw.


Without Dolly the park wouldn't have had the traffic to justify the investment which further increased the traffic. I visited in the 80s ('88 or '89) from a town 350 miles away. Would not have happened without Dolly's name.

Then more recently, 2012 took the family 5 hours to the Smokies but the prime draw was Dollywood, and it's kept us coming back multiple time a year since.

If it was SDC it wouldn't have happened. My son and I would have gone to Six Flags for coasters and the family would have gone elsewhere since the girls (wife and daughter) had no interest in coasters.
I've suggested SDC since and no interest. They wanted Dollywood because of Dolly.
Even the rest of Branson isn't enough of a draw.

You could put TH, MM, WE and LR at SDC and it wouldn't have a big impact on the traffic,
(Most of the traffic isn't coaster enthusiasts).
Dollywood already had the traffic to justify the investments.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tndank said:

Seemed Drop Line was running a different cycle today. It rotated as it went up. Then, near the top it stopped lifting and did a 360. Then, it slowly starts rising and drops immediately after 5 or 10 feet. Good stuff.

That's the only cycle I've ever had on Drop Line. I knew others were possible, but never been on it when they were in use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

I would be happy with way less, country, gospel and religious music than they have now. I'd love to see more pop, rock and other types of music. It would open it up to a wider audience. 

For every one like you there are a dozen that are the opposite. Changing the music (which fits the craftsman/country life vibe) would cause a lot to not come back. I suspect a lot more than would suddenly show up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ it worked so well for Hard Rock Park tho!

5 whole months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 5:12 PM, TEDodd said:

For every one like you there are a dozen that are the opposite. Changing the music (which fits the craftsman/country life vibe) would cause a lot to not come back. I suspect a lot more than would suddenly show up.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. Craftsman's Valley is only one section of the theme park. There are eleven themed areas. Each area could have different music, stages and theaters with different music options. I don't know anybody that goes there for the music and the music typically appeals to the older crowd that doesn't spend any money in the park. Bringing in new music, I think, would bring in new guests. How many times can someone go see the Kingdom Heirs?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

How many times can someone go see the Kingdom Heirs?

Typically twice a year. Once in the spring and once at Christmas.

Not sure what you mean by appealing to an older crowd. Me in my 40s? Or my son in his 20s or my teen who loves Dolly.

I have a lot more disposable income to spend at DW now than I could have in my 20s. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. Craftsman's Alley is only one section of the theme park. There are eleven themed areas. Each area could have different music, stages and theaters with different music options. I don't know anybody that goes there for the music and the music typically appeals to the older crowd that doesn't spend any money in the park. Bringing in new music, I think, would bring in new guests. How many times can someone go see the Kingdom Heirs?

It’s valley, not alley, and different areas of the park already do have different styles of music. I’d suggest you do some research before you “theorize” about someplace you seem to know little about. The “older crowd” spends heavy on food and merchandise, the areas where the profit margin is (unlike rides which generate no ROI directly) so the park will always cater to them. Since you “don’t know anybody that goes there for the music” you and your peer group are clearly not their target demographic. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TEDodd said:

Typically twice a year. Once in the spring and once at Christmas.

Not sure what you mean by appealing to an older crowd. Me in my 40s? Or my son in his 20s or my teen who loves Dolly.

I have a lot more disposable income to spend at DW now than I could have in my 20s. 

I think he’s trolling for an argument. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh for goodness' sake.

Herschend is not going to change anything about the freaking music because family / gospel stuff is their brand. Dollywood especially has successfully toed the line in making their religious values known, but not so in-your-face that it is alienating. I really don't see that changing, especially considering that mindset is anchored in tradition.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, megan said:

It’s valley, not alley, and different areas of the park already do have different styles of music. I’d suggest you do some research before you “theorize” about someplace you seem to know little about. The “older crowd” spends heavy on food and merchandise, the areas where the profit margin is (unlike rides which generate no ROI directly) so the park will always cater to them. Since you “don’t know anybody that goes there for the music” you and your peer group are clearly not their target demographic. 

This exactly. Why do you think Dollywood has so many crafty type shops?  Home goods type shops?  The older crowd spends tons of money on this stuff. Just watch the package pick-up guy pushing everything to the front. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 2:22 AM, TEDodd said:

Typically twice a year. Once in the spring and once at Christmas.

Not sure what you mean by appealing to an older crowd. Me in my 40s? Or my son in his 20s or my teen who loves Dolly.

I have a lot more disposable income to spend at DW now than I could have in my 20s. 

Does your son and your teen that loves Dolly go to Dollywood to listen to the Kingdom Heirs? My only thought was that other music choices would bring in other people that may not have visited before because of the artists they regularly book at Dollywood. It's my opinion, which I have a right to have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dstephe9 said:

This exactly. Why do you think Dollywood has so many crafty type shops?  Home goods type shops?  The older crowd spends tons of money on this stuff. Just watch the package pick-up guy pushing everything to the front. 

Exactly, with 99% of the items for sale made in China that could be purchased for half the price on eBay or Amazon. I've seen items sitting on their shelves for so long they have to be regularly dusted. The only time most of that stuff sells is when it goes on sale or clearance. It's a marketing ploy. Have a craftsman that makes a handmade item when the rest of the merchandise in the store is imported from China. It's all fake. The other "home good" stores sell stuff you can find anywhere else or online for much cheaper. It's gotten worse of the last few years too and Herschend pushes for more and more profit over the guest experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

Exactly, with 99% of the items for sale made in China that could be purchased for half the price on eBay or Amazon. I've seen items sitting on their shelves for so long they have to be regularly dusted. The only time most of that stuff sells is when it goes on sale or clearance. It's a marketing ploy. Have a craftsman that makes a handmade item when the rest of the merchandise in the store is imported from China. It's all fake. The other "home good" stores sell stuff you can find anywhere else or online for much cheaper. It's gotten worse of the last few years too and Herschend pushes for more and more profit over the guest experience.

Good shopkeeping and maintenance should dictate that all items are regularly dusted regardless of turn. Thanks for reporting that they are doing a great job keeping the shops clean! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

Does your son and your teen that loves Dolly go to Dollywood to listen to the Kingdom Heirs? My only thought was that other music choices would bring in other people that may not have visited before because of the artists they regularly book at Dollywood. It's my opinion, which I have a right to have.

Mine don’t, but they love to go for rides, food and the overall experience.  My parents don’t ride rides, but they love to go to the shows, food, shopping and overall experience. Thanks for pointing out that they have successfully established that hard to achieve pinnacle of appealing to different ages and demographics. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/