TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

I was one of the few lucky ones to get to experience Lightning Rod in it's hay day, compared to when they slowed it down... frankly I'm not surprised.. Coaster enthusiasts like myself loved the... well.. just plain, OUT OF BLOODY CONTROL feeling that the ride first gave... My dad though? not so much. He wouldn't ride it again. 

Honestly I could tell a difference when they slowed it down a bit.. but I'm just happy we're gonna (hopefully) get a far more dependable version of lightning rod back. Even a somewhat neutered lightning rod is still probably the best coaster I've ever ridden. Granted, my ride list is rather short.

I don't think the POV really has told us anything. You can't say that all of the POV's were filmed in the same condition, with the same amount of people, etc. I think it will take riding it to truly determine any differences. I just want to see how the I-Box track makes a differences in the experience for me. Lightning Rod and Outlaw Run to me felt a little different than the I-Box Track. It wasn't quite a smooth and had a little bit of an edge to it. I am interested in seeing how the change in track changes the experience on Lightning Rod. I don't think that will come down to the speed of the ride or the launch and it really won't be something I can judge until I ride it. Honestly I fully expect Lightning Rod to still be an elite coaster and remain as one of my favorites. 

9 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I really can't stress enough how people have been saying since half-way through the first season that the ride has been slowed down, the launch is slower and whatever else. I'm not saying that people should be happy with a diminished ride experience and suck it up so it operates, I'm saying that it's **probably** not diminished and the "I rode it when it was better" crowd is lying to themselves so they feel cool for being one of the six people to successfully ride it when it first opened.

I have no doubt that the day the ride opens and the train is half empty for social distancing and it's cold and crappy out these people will be blowing up the internet talking about how much better it used to be but let's wait and see if that's actually even true. I'm optimistic that it won't be.

PS: everyone also complained about a pothole endlessly that won't exist any more, so maybe it will actually be better!

This whole discussion reeks of "they slowed Skyrush down" and I really am NOT here for it.

• Like 4

Just here to pay my respects to Mystery Mine. I never had any issues with keeping my head forward to prevent any headbanging, and that drop was truly terrifying. Still an all around great ride, but it's crazy to see them go to that effort to rebuild that section. One less element, meh glad they are committed to keeping MM around for a long time. Lap bars would be a welcome add but with the finale I think it would scare off the GP. 

• Like 1

Situation right now:

"..running good all week until yesterday. We had a few things to look at. Probably going to be at least 2 hrs before it opens." 

Oh well. What's a couple more hrs?

15 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Just here to pay my respects to Mystery Mine. I never had any issues with keeping my head forward to prevent any headbanging, and that drop was truly terrifying. Still an all around great ride, but it's crazy to see them go to that effort to rebuild that section. One less element, meh glad they are committed to keeping MM around for a long time. Lap bars would be a welcome add but with the finale I think it would scare off the GP. 

I don't know what it was about Mystery Mine, but I always felt sick after riding that thing. I always enjoyoed the ride, but I couldn't reride it even once...

16 minutes ago, tndank said:

Situation right now:

"..running good all week until yesterday. We had a few things to look at. Probably going to be at least 2 hrs before it opens." 

Oh well. What's a couple more hrs?

Assuming this is about LR, not a good start...

1 hour ago, Chiselphane said:

If the only change was that they painted the cars a new color you'd still get people claiming it rides different.

How can you even pretend that it doesn't? Even my 5 year old knows putting racing stripes on things makes them go faster. I mean sure his paint of choice is somehow play-dough but....but... SCIENCE!

image.png.3c444444504bcb4f7900afb04433ea5c.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Still have a Season Pass until like June 15th. Hoping to get vaccinated and get out there before then. Looking forward to hearing folks report on what Lightning Rod is *actually* like. And also what Craftsman Alley is like. I'm going to miss the little ceramics shop, but alas. Also, my guess is Cinnamon bread is $10/loaf now. 😏

Current LR update:

Been half a dozen people working over the start of the launch. They sent 2 trains about 60 min ago. 

Wouldn't surprise me of this doesn't open today. Rain supposed to move in soon..

Got on the first public train. First impression: It's smooth. Really smooth. Didn't seem quite as intense. Still a ton of fun. 

Approx 5000 dead trees all over the backside of the hills.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, tndank said:

Approx 5000 dead trees all over the backside of the hills.

Saw that on the POV – bummer if they were all upright before, and bit the dust vis a vis the retrack.

Speaking of the POV, it's just the FPS of the video, people. Makes it look slower.

Speaking of the slowed down launch. Please direct your att'n to my avatar. I operated that ride for 3 years (and rode it before and after *thunder crashes* the slow-down)... and it just didn't impact anything but the first drop. Simply no impact. If you want drop airtime, ride in the back just like the old days, and be thankful the ride has been tweaked to run reliable and save you hundreds of American Dollars in re-visits to get the credit.

• Like 1

Man, it's slow going over the launch hill. Looks like it's going to rollback many times. 

Second ride was great. I was sitting further back. Great ride.

Lap bars would be a welcome add but with the finale I think it would scare off the GP. 

My favorite part of the ride. Truly one of my favorite elements from any coaster.
It just feels Like you hang so long. Watching it it's not, but sure feels like it.

I guess another example of why POVs dont do justice..... was that little bit of MM that rough/intense?? Like I know it's our thing "waaahhh GP whining, they had to take out a good part" but like, what about it was so problematic? 

I just got home from Dollywood. Lightning Rod was down until 1 pm. When it opened, I was on the 3rd train full of people. The ride is just as fast and relentless as before, but I thought it was going to be much smoother with I-Box track and to my surprise, it was  ROUGH, really rough. Rougher than I remember it being last year. They were only running one train, so the lines were almost two hours long after I got off. Lines for food and drinks were longer than the lines for rides. Some staff was very rude and they were very understaffed just like they were all last season due to COVID. Mystery Mine was running test cars and it looks just as good as before, and might even be better with the new turn and drop. Lightning Rod though, was a huge disappointment. Just too rough to enjoy.

IMG_20210312_130212344.jpg

IMG_20210312_130209039.jpg

IMG_20210312_125846201.jpg

IMG_20210312_125727486.jpg

IMG_20210312_125443026.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Taylor Finn said:

Still have a Season Pass until like June 15th. Hoping to get vaccinated and get out there before then. Looking forward to hearing folks report on what Lightning Rod is *actually* like. And also what Craftsman Alley is like. I'm going to miss the little ceramics shop, but alas. Also, my guess is Cinnamon bread is $10/loaf now. 😏

Craftsman's Alley is much wider in spots now. The stores are all still stocking mostly Chinese-made junk and very little if anything made by on-site craftsman. They rerouted part of the water flume thing going down craftsman's alley in order to widen it up. It looks much more open and not as congested. It came out very nice.

LRod "Just as fast an relentless as before"  

See there we go. All I needed to hear : D

Oof, sounds like not the best visit. Sometimes I avoid start of season openings for that reason, get the kinks worked out. Esp these covid days. Though oof I hope one train ops are not normal! Great photos btw, I think the new little part of MM looks kinda neat myself. 

• Like 1