Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean because now it might feel like it's... rolling and... coasting and... open?

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Posted Images

* Dollywood’s Flower & Food Festival – April 23 – June 7

• Dollywood’s Summer Celebration – June 25 – July 31 (Fireworks Fridays & Saturdays) 

• Dollywood’s Harvest Festival – September 24 – October 31 Featuring – GREAT Pumpkin LumiNights 

• Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas – November 6 – January 2 

3 hours ago, TEDodd said:

No Bluegrass & BBQ :(
No Festival of Nations :(

Don't you think maybe it is because of their uncertainty with park operations and the COVID situation? Maybe in 2022 we will see some semblance of normalcy with Lightning Rod running consistently and all the traditional festivals back. We can only hope.

From my recent visits and photos being posted, does anyone else believe that the entire track on Lighting Rod is going to be replaced? It was originally reported that only certain rough sections of the track were going to be replaced with I-Box track, but I'm no longer sure this is true after seeing so much topper track being removed. Maybe lightning will strike twice with no more topper track?

The part that you can visibly see is some of the high stress area. They mentioned that high stress area is being replaced. That final curve into the station is one of the most intense parts of the ride.

I personally don't believe all is being replaced no, but who knows

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

Yeah, hopefully the lack of Festival of Nations is just because it's not clear when international travel is gonna be a thing again. SDC got rid of World Fest, so Dollywood's fest has been the only way to experience it the last few years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, u4icmusic said:
Don't you think maybe it is because of their uncertainty with park operations and the COVID situation?

Could be, I just noted their absence as they are personal favorites.

They've already screwed up the harvest festival, with few craftsmen around and not featured like in the past.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dstephe9 said:

The part that you can visibly see is some of the high stress area. They mentioned that high stress area is being replaced. That final curve into the station is one of the most intense parts of the ride.

I personally don't believe all is being replaced no, but who knows

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be shocked if a few years down the road the remaining topper track is replaced with I-box. It just wouldn’t make sense to do maintenance and replace topper track with more topper track. 

Gee, I wonder what the reason for that could possibly be.
This has nothing to do with SARS-CoV-2.
The craftsmen I talked to in 2018/2019 said DW wasn't as good to work with vs the past. Charging higher fees, larger percentages of sales, and overall making it less hospitable. A few that were there in '18 said they weren't coming back in '19 and they didn't.
I started noticing it before the illuminights stuff was started. Much like the decline of world craftsmen and food during Festival of Nations in recent years. 

5 hours ago, TEDodd said:

This has nothing to do with SARS-CoV-2.

The craftsmen I talked to in 2018/2019 said DW wasn't as good to work with vs the past. Charging higher fees, larger percentages of sales, and overall making it less hospitable. A few that were there in '18 said they weren't coming back in '19 and they didn't.

I started noticing it before the illuminights stuff was started. Much like the decline of world craftsmen and food during Festival if Nations in recent years. 

I would tend to agree with you that new park management had focused more on cutting costs, saving money and losing much of the magic that Dollywood used to have. It's turning into another Cedar Fair styled park now and that is a shame.

15 hours ago, Jdprince45 said:

Theory on next coaster

I don't believe half the crap in this video. There is no way their attendance levels were that high with state-mandated COVID attendance and capacity restrictions.

Dude is smoking some strong stuff in that video. The "prediction" youtube videos always make me laugh. They're responsible for users in groups such as the SFSTL Facebook page predicting hypers and RMC's for the past 10 years, yet we can't even get a full size endeavor. 

I'm predicting Knoebels will get a giga coaster in 2031, based on nothing, because my theory has just as evidence.

• Like 2

I don't understand how all of these crazy coaster sites are still in existence after years of claiming first on some rumor and then being wrong, but Screamscape has been around for like 20 years so... =)

• Like 1

I'm predicting that Dollywood's next coaster will be a (hopefully)  more reliable Lightning Rod. You heard it hear first... or second.... or fourteenth, I've lost count after pages on the prices of fudge and the ratio of wood:steel for what can be called a wooden roller-coaster. 

Anyone else getting some serious RCT vibes from seeing just that one piece missing?

Like I'm halfway looking for a way to complete the section and get the satisfaction of knowing the circuit lines up right.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

^ Just add one of those "S" pieces and that should do the trick 😎

Regarding the layout, no major changes are needed.  In all seriousness, Lightning Rod is the only coaster I've experienced that makes me feel like I'm gonna sh*t myself (saying this as a good thing).  Wood or steel, as long as this is still the case, I'll be more than satisfied.

2 hours ago, michaellynn4 said:

Anyone else getting some serious RCT vibes from seeing just that one piece missing?

Like I'm halfway looking for a way to complete the section and get the satisfaction of knowing the circuit lines up right.

LOL yes totally. Or reopening the ride as you watch guests sail off the edge.