TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

15 hours ago, dstephe9 said:

I had actually posted and heard of this rumor about a month back. Won't surprise me. Rumor I heard was that it a hybrid track. Some wood and some ibox

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

There is no wood track anywhere on the coaster. The Lightning rod uses steel "topper track" on top of the wood structure. I'm thinking the topper track is not as strong as the I-Box track and maybe with all the force of the trains, it is causing dips and bends in the track that an I-Box track would not experience. I think it was poorly designed to begin with and as fun as the ride is, it needs to start running all the time.

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and when you were in line for it you could hear a bunch of obnoxious enthusiasts bragging to everyone who was willing to listen that they rode it with the old track and it was way better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 11/7/2020 at 6:33 PM, KBrylczyk said:

I'm guessing there will be a small launch at the base of the lift followed by a second gut-puncher halfway up the hill, hence the tarps over the motors there.

I wouldn't think the solution to Lightning Rod's downtime is to complicate the point of failure even more.

I saw on a Facebook group (lol) where there's supposedly been blue I-Box track spotted in the woods. Pictures and all. I didn't look at the pictures in depth, but it almost looked legit. From the little attention I paid to the post, the track pieces looked straight. My main apprehension is if they were replacing portions of the track with I-Box track, why the hell would it be blue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

I wouldn't think the solution to Lightning Rod's downtime is to complicate the point of failure even more.

I saw on a Facebook group (lol) where there's supposedly been blue I-Box track spotted in the woods. Pictures and all. I didn't look at the pictures in depth, but it almost looked legit. From the little attention I paid to the post, the track pieces looked straight. My main apprehension is if they were replacing portions of the track with I-Box track, why the hell would it be blue?

lightning strikes twice.... New theme, new track, new trains, added ride duration? who knows. 

I think people are reading WAAAAAAY too much into the “strikes twice” line. I think they are making some necessary modifications to ensure better operations... threw RMC under the bus a bit by clearly stating they are involved (like the GP would really care? Maybe part of the lawsuit settlement), and will reopen AGAIN (strikes twice) with the same ride experience, but with better reliability. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment with all these wild “two launch” theories. It’s marketing spun guys. Nothing more. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, megan said:

I think people are reading WAAAAAAY too much into the “strikes twice” line. I think they are making some necessary modifications to ensure better operations... threw RMC under the bus a bit by clearly stating they are involved (like the GP would really care? Maybe part of the lawsuit settlement), and will reopen AGAIN (strikes twice) with the same ride experience, but with better reliability. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment with all these wild “two launch” theories. It’s marketing spun guys. Nothing more. 

It has so much momentum when you hit the brakes it does not need a second launch 

2 hours ago, megan said:

I'm inclined to agree with this.

6 hours ago, A.J. said:

Lightning Rod always has had two "launches" though. It's a small boost at the bottom of the lift and then the full launch as you go up.

This is exactly what I was talking about, just that they may be reprogramming it to be more noticeable between the two launches.  Right now it feels more like one launch that gets a bit stronger as you go up the hill.  Reprogramming to give a first boost onto the incline followed by a big puncher to get the rest of the way would be a good way to reduce strain on the engines and structure.

16 hours ago, Chiselphane said:

They let you ride twice in a row without leaving your seat to make up for all the previous down time.

LOL. But the old saying goes...."Three Strikes and You're Out".....? Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 🌩️ 🌩️ (Ha ha)

On 11/11/2020 at 2:16 PM, boldikus said:

wrong.gif.06c385058e11c95986abd6928ab10c85.gif

Here is a photo of the I-Box track on the left and the all-steel Topper Track on the right. As you can see, the Topper Track is on top of stacked wood, but it is still a steel coaster as the trains run on top of and under the Topper Track. It is a marketing gimmick. The Lightning Rod is not a wooden coaster. It is a steel coaster on wooden supports. Now, depending on how much Topper Track they replace with I-Box track, then Dollywood may not even be able to get away with calling it a wooden coaster next season.

iboxvstopper.jpg

• Like 2