TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

Sure the rides are big attraction but there's a reason I dive 5+ hrs to DW vs 3 to SF.

The shows, the festivals (food and shows), the shops, and just the scenery (in and out of the park).

Most trips are 3-4 days and I catch several shows. During festivals I'll see 90% of the shows/acts and try about that many dishes. If there are special vendors I'll usually end up buying from 2 or 3.

And yes, ride every coaster 2-3 times.

Meanwhile SF is just a few hours to ride the coasters and go home.

So, no people don't just want rides. Not all and I dare say not even most visitors to DW.

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shenanigans! Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon

If anyone likes park magnets. Dollywood has one that will be a collectors item. See photo for details. 🥸

That's not really a fair assessment at a place like Dollywood. A large amount of people go there for the rides, yes, but they drive a lot of business for their non-ride offerings such as their shows,

Posted Images

We spent at least an hour just in Dolly's museum on my first and so far only trip. I could've spent all DAY.

Shoot, I told my mom that I wanna plan a trip to stay in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a whole two weeks so I could spend an entire day just sitting in front of the eagle habitat at Dollywood.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, A.J. said:

Shenanigans!

Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon bread?

I don't usually call out opinions but saying that people go to Dollywood for the rides is really out of touch with what that park and Silver Dollar City are for Herschend and the U.S. theme park scene in general.

I agree. I have friends that only go for the shows that don't ride any rides at all. However, I still believe people pay $79 plus tax for the rides at either a theme park or an amusement park. Dollywood doesn't even have any indoor shows this year, so they surely can't be going for the shows now. I also think people ride the rides over and over, and how many times can you walk through a gospel museum? That is for a small niche market of people. I don't know anyone personally that has ever walked through that museum. Obviously Dollywood no longer thinks the museum is a good fit and that is why they didn't renew the lease on the building. I have a Dollywood season pass and I also go on the "soot train," check out the eagle habitat and sometimes just walk around and take in all the sights, while people-watching. I've seen all the shows, when they were running, but "my" main reason for going is the rides.

Dollywood is super weird. There are plenty of days where they’re reasonably crowded and absolutely nobody is riding rides. I get it though... their shows are really good around Christmas and many of the people in them have experience on Broadway.

The rest of the time the shows are 99% bluegrass music which I don’t care about one bit, but a lot of people clearly do in eastern Tennessee. Lol

Hi some of you might rember me as lrod 67 and how much of a idot I was last year well if I made anyone mad im sorry for haveing that I left becuse of this thing we have to deal with you know what im talking about but im just saying im back

On 3/9/2020 at 2:50 PM, lrod67 said:

yes that would be a good Idea takeing out some of the walking from the bottom to the top of the park and I think they will make the lore of wild wood grove more with a townish In the back of the area

I thought wrong but that would still be cool

The rest of the time the shows are 99% bluegrass music which I don’t care about one bit, but a lot of people clearly do in eastern Tennessee. Lol

Hmm.. different idea of what bluegrass is maybe. Only time they really have bluegrass is during the BBQ festival and the harvest festival, and always seems to be outdoor performers (back porch, gazebo, or just roaming) never places like showstreet, celebrity, or pines.

I’m not here to discuss the intricacies of what type of bluegrass / country / backwoods whatever-the-f*ck music is what... most people know what I mean.

I guess I’ll amend that to “redneck music that I don’t care about” if it makes you feel better.

• Haha 3

I’m not here to discuss the intricacies of what type of bluegrass / country / backwoods whatever-the-f*ck music is what... most people know what I mean.

Well you're in a chipper mood this morning....

Country sure. Sort of what you might expect at a park named after/owned by one of the biggest country music stars of the 60, 70, and 80s.

If I went to Van Halen's park I'd expect a lot of heavy rock. And if I went to some rapper's park I wouldn't expect much country or rock...

https://www.dollywood.com/Tickets/Season-Passes
Note that season pass pricing is nearly the same compared to 2020's. $134 plus tax for one park, $184 plus tax for both, add $85 for the gold upgrade with free parking and discounts.
Reminds me, I got a letter offering to extend my 2020 passes for all of 2021 (instead of June 15) for only $80. And they'll throw in the 2021 drink cup for free.

Does this exist? Because I wanna go!

#cardiwood
DW is the only artist connected park I known of.

Not that I'm opposed to others, #MetallicaWorld

(Yes I'm a metal fan who also likes country and bluegrass. And I play in jazz and swing bands)
3 hours ago, tndank said:

Also, Knox area residents can get $30 off. 

How do Knox county residents get the $30 off? I was supposed to get a postcard from in the mail from Dollywood on Saturday, but it didn't get delivered. I get emails daily with photos of the mail I'll receive that day from the USPS Informed Delivery program, which is free.

4 hours ago, A.J. said:

https://www.dollywood.com/Tickets/Season-Passes

Note that season pass pricing is nearly the same compared to 2020's. $134 plus tax for one park, $184 plus tax for both, add $85 for the gold upgrade with free parking and discounts.

The pricing is really disappointing and Dollywood originally told us that we would be getting a "deal" to extend out current passes. This isn't a deal at all except for an extra bring-a-friend pass.

21 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

How do Knox county residents get the $30 off? I was supposed to get a postcard from in the mail from Dollywood on Saturday, but it didn't get delivered. I get emails daily with photos of the mail I'll receive that day from the USPS Informed Delivery program, which is free.

https://www.dollywood.com/deals/special-offers/knoxville-season-pass

3 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

Only if Travis Scott can bring Astroworld back to Houston.

we saw several of his T-shirts on Sat at Fiesta Tex. . . and noticed he's using the SLC "Serial Thriller" as the imagery.

so NO THANKS.

but, back on topic, I really do want to make it to Dollywood in 2021.

11 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

The pricing is really disappointing and Dollywood originally told us that we would be getting a "deal" to extend out current passes. This isn't a deal at all except for an extra bring-a-friend pass.

Maybe you missed it.

I got a letter last week saying $80 to extend through 2021 (vs just mid June).
Included a refillable mug ($1 refills) plus 2020 Christmas BAF and 3 BAF tix good for full 2021 season (subject to blackouts) instead of each only being valid for certain days.

I think $80 renewal is an OK deal.

That said, 2 of my passes are unused in 2020 (other one was used last fall), so I might just get them refunded and get 2021 passes. Either way would be good for all of 2021.