TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 766 - HeartSong resort announced!

I know there are bigger things going on in the world, but my wife was super excited for Lightning Rod for our first visit next week. I don't know how to break it to her that it's not happening. Someone reassure me and tell me there's a 1% chance!

Next week? Not likely. I haven't seen any mention of work being done currently.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I think they are waiting on parts.

It would be nice if DW or RMC would give some info on what was being done and a timeline for repair.

Like if they have to wait for something to be manufactured and the supplier is backlogged due to the shudowns.

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I call this or what? Anyway, I did better side-by-side comparison for you.

Luckily any day now Lightning Rod is probably due to launch a wheel into a mountain or spontaneously combust or something so we can stop talking about covid...

^Lets be real...if you really wanna follow those guidelines you wouldn’t even be going to amusement parks. 

Posted Images

^He's laughing because it IS an RMC!

But I do agree with everyone, something needs to be done, it's getting ridiculous.

I realize that, but I was referring to the RMC I-Box Track that they use to upgrade wooden coasters. Then they could add some inversions too.

They could remove the launch and reprofile that first pre-drop to work with a chain-lift so that the rest of the ride runs exactly the same as it did before and even with it running consistently every day you'll still see the rise of enthusiast armchair engineers who will forever tell you how it isn't the same/Dollywood ruined it/how elitist they are for having the original credit.

At least for you guys, here in 2020, there's a good chance when you're at that park seeing it SBNO, that it'll reopen eventually and you'll get to ride one of the highest-ranking coasters in the world. Imagine moving halfway around the world, seeing a ride you always dreamed about trying after seeing it in a TPR video, finding out you missed out on it by 1 year..., and then being able to see it on every trip from anywhere in the park, watching it slowly rot for 6 years, all with that tiny spark of hope they'll return to it or you'll show up and see some signs of life because the English sign says 'refurbishment'... even when your Korean friends insist the Korean sign nearby is a 'memorial to a closed ride'... only to find out the 'exciting new attraction' that replaced it was a garden... Sorry, all this talk of people missing out on trying a world-class coaster due to closure hit a sore spot.

I know there are bigger things going on in the world, but my wife was super excited for Lightning Rod for our first visit next week. I don't know how to break it to her that it's not happening. Someone reassure me and tell me there's a 1% chance!

Next week? Not likely. I haven't seen any mention of work being done currently.

Absolutely ridiculous.

What do you suggest they should do then? Run it unsafe? Magically conjure parts for it?

Coaster are very customized products. You can't just go to Walmart or Lowe's or even Amazon for parts.

They are made to order by small specialized companies. And right now those companies are operating at reduced strength (if open at all).

For months you couldn't find toilet paper, even now there are tons of products out of stock with no expected availability.

A new product I was interested in was supposed to start production in Jan. The sub contracted manufacturer for a major component shut down, and while they've restarted operations, the product I want is low priority and they won't even commit to a start date for production.

If you can't get mass produced products, small market specialty items are not likely.

They could remove the launch and reprofile that first pre-drop to work with a chain-lift so that the rest of the ride runs exactly the same as it did before

That presumes that the launch system is the problem. That was speculated back in 2016/17 and was refuted by the park and the manufacturer.

Yet people still post about making a chain lift and how it would cure all the problems.

Well considering at one point they had to have water spraying on the magnetic fins on the launch just to try to get it to run helps points it that way, something needs to be done, why have a ride that's constantly up and down, if it was me I wouldn't want to try to keep wasting my money, I'd want to fix it or remove it.

^^ my post was more joking about how enthusiasts would react to Hilltoppers and Bill’s comments a page or two back on the subject more than actually suggesting it as an idea.

Well considering at one point they had to have water spraying on the magnetic fins on the launch just to try to get it to run helps points it that way, something needs to be done, why have a ride that's constantly up and down, if it was me I wouldn't want to try to keep wasting my money, I'd want to fix it or remove it.

A lot of launch coasters spray water on the motors to cool them down. Incredicoaster is one that comes to mind. That alone doesn't indicate a problem.

LOL say I am not surprised. I'd laugh (as unlikely as it might be) if they did redo the main hill and add a chain lift as several have joked and speculated on here.

More realistically I suspect it may be some track work along with a new launch system/trains.

So it's official, RMC is RMCing a RMC coaster.

Hopefully they get it right this time, whatever it takes. Might as well do it during the pandemic so after this mess the coaster runs more reliably for normal guest levels.

Rumor around the park is that they are iboxing part of the track but not all of it. Just a rumor and probably very unlikely. I'd say it's very unlikely because they have already been redoing a lot of track this year, unless they found issues while redoing the track they have currently been working on

I'd say with the minor trackwork they've done this year, they have found more serious problems and what better time to fix than now?

Unsure why they are teasing us though with lightening strikes twice! Ha

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Replacing the launch track and high stress areas with IBox makes a lot of sense to me. IBox will hold tolerances a lot tighter then topper track and will spread the forces out across more of the support structure. For example if the train has had alignment issues with the launch or with the brakes IBox should help with those issues. It does not take much of a misalignment to cause serious issues on a launch. Plus the issues with what has been described by riders as potholes in the track, IBox would likely be a permanent fix.

Most of the track is likely fine, but I could definitely see sections get replaced.

Edited by kenban

I wonder if this is more substantial than trackwork or general maintenance. The fact that they said "receiving an upgrade" and "lightning strikes twice in 2021" seems like it is something more. I could see them give it RMC's second-gen trains that perhaps work better at such high speeds and sustained forces, as well as potentially installing I-box track on the high G sections. Who knows!

I highly doubt they will change anything about the launch/lift though.

Wow I'm glad I altered my planned October Tennessee/Texas trip to an Orlando/Texas trip last week. I still haven't been able to ride Lightning Rod and going back with it closed yet again would have been beyond frustrating. Easy for me to say, but if it turns out we'll see a partial or full i-box replacement I think it will be for the better. If it means LR has less downtime and (fingers crossed) can launch full speed again then I think everyone wins.

Based on how the most recent issues have all seemed track related, I'm guessing this will be an I-box. However, the Lightning Strikes Twice part suggests there will be some sort of marketable feature in this. Retracking the ride alone probably doesn't make it more marketable, but for me, I just want to see the ride run reliably because I think it's the best ride in the world when it does.

If it does get a full I-Box retrack, I would love to see the debates on whether or not it's a new credit
I mean, not to be “that guy,” but...

If it ends up going I-Box plus a reprofiling that introduces a new element or two...? That’s pretty compelling as far as “new credit” goes.

I suppose the threshold for “new credit” is going to be pretty subjective depending on what happens.